Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

NAS and Print Server for home use

The wife managed to crash the HD in her laptop while trying to print. Best I can tell, she busted the USB port and shorted the pins which took out the HD.

I have a new HD now, the OS is installed, and I got pretty much all of her data back on it but it was a lot of work. I don't look forward to a repeat incident. The broken USB port is now filled with hot glue but there is another one right beside it. That said, I don't think I want her plugging and unplugging a USB cable to print. Also, I'm looking for a good backup solution and also somewhere she can replicate her data to for selective recovery.

My thought was a NAS drive that also has print server capability. Her printer is a HP Photosmart C3180 All-In-One and I'm OK with the scanner not working through the print server. I've heard good things about Synology and wonder if the DS112j would be a good fit. Their HCL doesn't list the HP C3180.

Does this look like a viable solution for her?
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

41 views and no comments? My local dealer proposed a D-Link ShareCenter DNS-320. I could not find a HCL of printers.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to LLigetfa

here's what I think....

I wouldn't get a NAS with a print server.

Reason being is, I value my data more. If one of the functions or features goes haywire, that will take down the whole machine. I believe in separation.

Get a NAS drive solely for back up and use current printer or upgrade to a network printer so no more USB plugging and unplugging....I use a brother 2270DW which is a very good one with a cheap toner that works really well...

a brother 2280dw I believe has the copying and scanning function which the 2270dw does not have...

besides, all in one machines are really hard to hook up to a print server that will make it work right compared to hooking it up directly to the pc / laptop.

switchman

join:1999-11-06

1 edit
reply to LLigetfa

Separate the functions. Get a NAS for storage if you need it and a network based printer for printing. You could also get an all in one with a scanner if you want. I like Brother printers myself. I have used a 3rd party print server in the past and they are a PIA.

If you want a color printer, »www.brother-usa.com/printer/Colo···rinters/

B/W printers »www.brother-usa.com/printer/BW_M···rinters/

You would need to shop around to get the best price. The Brother Printer HL3075CW Wireless Color Printer is currently $199 on Amazon, »www.amazon.com/Brother-Printer-H···060WDIX8

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

OK thanks for the input. I understand the reasoning to keep the NAS separate from print serving and I really would like to consider another printer sometime in the future. None the less, the USB port used for print sharing can also be used for UPS orderly shutdown. The D-Link has but one USB port while the Synology has two.

Ideally, I would prefer to have the NAS downstairs where my UPS is and not upstairs where the printer is. The wife abhors gadgets with wires so it will be a fight just to put the NAS near her printer. Putting a UPS there as well wouldn't fly. I don't know how crucial it is to have them on a UPS.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

medbuyer

reply to LLigetfa

I would get a NAS if I were to access that frequent, otherwise an external hdd should work too, only downside is its USB for the external hdd.

size i think would be more acceptable to the wife since the external is smaller...

i would set aside that usb for ups shut down feature for now since that's really not an immediate need...

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

I already have both an eSATA dock and a USB dock as well as a couple of small USB hard drives. The problem lies in the wires. Did I mention the wife abhors wires? Since the last fiasco with her busting the USB port and crashing the HD, I don't want her plugging in wires.

The other problem lies in discipline to remember to periodically connect it to the laptop and back it up. I want/need set-and-forget wireless convenience. I could do it hard-wired periodically if/when I remember to do it. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
--

medbuyer

reply to LLigetfa

get her a laptop dock for you or her to do regular back ups...printing can be done via the dock also assuming that the dock have the necessary connections behind it so she doesn't have to plug in anything.

neatly tuck those wires behind so she will won't complain...which makes me wonder, how does your cable management look like...

and with the back up solutions, with external hdd's you can either use the software included or get a separate software, from there do regular back ups monthly which you should remember or schedule it as a reminder to do on your smartphone or email.......with NAS' you can leave it running...only things is for me, anything running constantly specially hdd's will deteriorate faster...and surge's in electricity is likely to kill a running machine quicker compared to one that's not running at all...

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

The laptop dock would never fly... she hates gadgets and clutter. She runs the laptop on battery until it prompts her to charge it and then she takes the power brick out of the drawer. The only computer wires at her desk is the power for the printer and the USB cable.

The specs on the D-Link NAS say the hard drives go into sleep mode when not in use. I'm guessing that they will wake up when accessed and less likely to be damaged by a surge when asleep with the heads parked.

It also has scheduled power off but see no mention of WOL support. The Synology I think has similar features but they call it hibernation and they also tout scheduled power on. Some Synology models have WOL support.

I do have concerns about fan noise. I could locate the NAS in my wiring closet where my router is and where I have a UPS but if I want USB printing I would need to use USB-to-CAT5 adapters.
--

Stevert

join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL
reply to LLigetfa

I can't believe you're fretting over such simple-to-resolve situations! (I won't even call them issues...)

Buy (or build) a WHS box and keep it in your wiring closet. It'll back up wifey's laptop every night without her having to remember to plug anything in. You can restore individual files or the entire HDD image from any of those nightly backups.

Then buy whichever you like of the many, many wireless network printers out on the market.

Couldn't be easier!

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to LLigetfa

Have you though about getting another PC or laptop rather then a NAS/print server? That way you can utilize extra disk space like a NAS drive and not loose the functionality of the all-in-one.

Used PCs go for short money. Just about anything will be powerful enough to do what you want.

/tom

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

1 recommendation

I threw dozens of used PCs and laptops into the ewaste bin at work. I could take some home if I wanted but I don't want to. Too big, too noisy, draws too much power, too many wires.

The wife doesn't want another computer in her office near the printer... not even a laptop. I still need to sell her on the NAS box and figure out how to hide the wires. The pictures never show the wires or the power brick.
--

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

The beauty of a NAS box is it can be accessed from anywhere on the network. Ideally, it should be tucked out of the way and attached to a UPS. In the wife's office is probably the worst place to put it, especially if you have kids or pets in the house.

If you really want to network your HP printer, I would suggest an external HP JetDirect print server. They usually work better and are less hassle to setup than any of the other external print servers that are available. Otherwise, just buy a new printer that is network ready. The Epson Artisan 730 is available for ~$100.

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

said by billaustin:

If you really want to network your HP printer, I would suggest an external HP JetDirect print server.

Damn! I forgot that I have 3 or 4 of those as surplus that haven't found their way into the ewaste bin. I could bring one home and see if it will work with this model. It's small enough to mount to the underside of the desk out of sight.

If that works I can put the NAS in the wiring closet.
--

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to LLigetfa

If you're concerned about performance I would recommend a network capable printer and an Atom-based NAS with GBE connection. Mine runs Ubuntu server, but there are some great NAS-oriented distros out there.

If you don't demand top speed, then a Tomato router with a couple of USB ports, a printer and USB drive hanging off them will fit the bill. For the cost of an ASUS RT-N16 you can have network printing and network file storage with decent performance and excellent stability.
--
db

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
reply to billaustin

said by billaustin:

I would suggest an external HP JetDirect print server.

Thanks for reminding me that I had the surplus JetDirect. I hooked up a J6035G, setup an IP reservation, defined the local IP port and assigned it to the printer.

Now to hide the wires, wall warts, and power bricks. I will have to mount a power strip to the underside of her fancy desk if she lets my drive screws into it. Damn wall warts anyway... take up to much room. Has a third prong so cannot just flip it over to make two fit in the same wall outlet.
--

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
reply to clarknova

Not concerned about performance... don't have gig ports on the router/switch and the laptop never ever gets plugged into the network. Just wireless to a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running DDWRT.

I'm not up for rolling my own linux NAS, not being that fluent in linux and posting questions on a linux 1337 forum is not my idea of fun.
--

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

Synology DS212j or Qnap TS-219P II will do just fine.
Personally I own higher model Qnap and am very happy with it. All models share the same code base (same in Synology product line). Both companies have extensive product feature descriptions on their webs.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to LLigetfa

In that case you might want to look at my second proposition of a router with USB ports, printer and mass storage support. Unfortunately it appears your Buffalo has no USB ports, but I can't see the RT-N16 and a USB hdd setting you back as much as even a modest NAS, and certainly no harder to set up.

A setup like this has its limitations, lack of RAID being the most obvious, but for a single disk setup where GBE is not a requirement, it's tough to beat for price or simplicity.
--
db

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
reply to LLigetfa

raid is great for data redundancy, but i dont recommend it for data backup (assuming you are only using the NAS for data storage). if you use a NAS and nothing else, bad idea...

if you use a NAS, back it up somewhere.

a good solution is www.carbonite.com if you only have 1 computer and dont want to back it up, locally.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

I like Branos idea of an overpriced NAS. ;-P Instead suggest visiting small net builder.com and check out the two more modest priced units available (I have both),
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-···reviewed
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-···reviewed

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10

I'm not rich enough to afford buying cheap things.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Hahah, well you know the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Are you sure?

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
reply to Anav

said by Anav:

Hahah, well you know the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Ja, I think I may have mentioned that already.

Anyway... I ended up cheaping out and didn't go with any of the above. What I ordered was a Seagate GoFlex STAM1000100.
»www.seagate.com/external-hard-dr···ex-home/
--

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to LLigetfa

Stepping into Brano's shoes...........

Damn that anav was right, even geeks like llcooligetfa, minimize their cash outlay.