how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

[request] Silk icons for posts?

How about taking the minibar silk icon browse/selection UI and grafting it onto the post a reply/new topic UI to make it easy to use the silk--and perhaps other--icons in comments. (No, I don't know how often it might be useful to anyone--so, feedback please. It's just a thought.)

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

Re: Silk icons for posts?

How does what your proposing make using the mini-bar/replying any easier? Perhaps I just don't quite understand what you're asking here so I can't give constructive feedback at the moment.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 edit

It has nothing to do with using the mini-bar itself. It's just that the mini-bar has this little pop-up which lets you select which silk icon you want to use for your link/button on the bar, and I think that pop-up feature for selecting icons (not just "smileys") could be useful while posting comments (you know, not just those little "click me" thingies to the left of this little box I'm typing in right now, but something a little... more). Basically, all there is now is really text-based except for what you do manually, if anything. Initially, if it were done at all, I guess you'd only have the silk icons available, but I'd expect other icon sets could be added (actual smileys). It's really the framework I think would be useful and easier for those who do like inserting small images in their posts to convey more meaning. I mean, if a picture is worth a thousand words, then maybe a tiny little icon can be worth at least, what... 42? (Plus, all of those silk icons are already on-site, and that can be an important consideration sometimes for hot-linked images--even small ones.)

(Yeah, too many smileys can be annoying sometimes, but still...)

Might look something like this:

--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

said by NotTheMama:

It has nothing to do with using the mini-bar itself. It's just that the mini-bar has this little pop-up which lets you select which silk icon you want to use for your link/button on the bar, and I think that pop-up feature for selecting icons (not just "smileys") could be useful while posting comments (you know, not just those little "click me" thingies to the left of this little box I'm typing in right now, but something a little... more). Basically, all there is now is really text-based except for what you do manually, if anything. Initially, if it were done at all, I guess you'd only have the silk icons available, but I'd expect other icon sets could be added (actual smileys). It's really the framework I think would be useful and easier for those who do like inserting small images in their posts to convey more meaning. I mean, if a picture is worth a thousand words, then maybe a tiny little icon can be worth at least, what... 42? (Plus, all of those silk icons are already on-site, and that can be an important consideration sometimes for hot-linked images--even small ones.)

(Yeah, too many smileys can be annoying sometimes, but still...)

Might look something like this:
[att=1]

Here, I already made this:
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

All the important extra emoticons are there, but feel free to edit the code as you like.
--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

Thanks, I'm not allowed in there (yet? too new of a member, I suppose). However, I do think the site should provide the feature/function natively.
--

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

I guess you'll just have to make more topics to get to level 1.

Just a tip: All these requests you're making are falling on deaf ears. This site has been stagnant in terms of updates for a while. I think the last time I saw Justin was when the site got hacked and our passwords were stolen.
--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

One does what one can.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 edit
reply to Weirdal

Well, I'm "leveled up" now (Edit: hey, look, I'm a "regular" now! oooh-ahhh)--took a look at your thread. It looks nice; but I already had a script which does something similar--works for several sites, puts a box of smileys under or over a textarea. I don't use it much anymore; I use the Clippings extension (AMO or mozdev) instead--works everywhere, more versatile. But, thanks.

(I still think an integrated feature provided by a site is better than an external one--for smileys anyway, especially when the icons in question are themselves hosted on the site.)
--