uniqs
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

[Mobile] Prepaid Samsung Galaxy SII

Does any other prepaid company besides Boost Mobile have this phone? I do not like their coverage (or lack their of) and heard it was available on Straight Talk.

-Rob
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

It is available on Straight Talk, but may have the same coverage as Boost (Sprint's own network). Probably doesn't use Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile in that case.

Speaking of T-Mobile, you can buy any of their phones and use them on prepaid service; Straight Talk has a SIM that uses T-Mobile's network.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Why do they post that they have nationwide coverage except on android phones?

-Rob
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Because, depending on where you are, they'll give you a Verizon-based or AT&T-based phone, including Verizon or AT&T's full contract-class roaming. So you get the same coverage that you would if you signed a two-year agreement with one of those carriers...which is pretty much nationwide.

I thikn that smartphones, on the other hand, are limited to the network that they call home. Some use AT&T, some use T-Mobile, some use Sprint (depending on the phone model). At least for Sprint Straight Talk phones, there's no roaming. Your phone just doesn't make or receive calls/texts/data outside Sprint's coverage area. I believe the other carriers are similar, albeit with bigger home networks.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

According to the website, they use GSM which means it's not sprint. So, this could be the thing to move. How could you sign a contract on a prepaid phone?? I'd rather be on AT&T vs sprint's crappy network

-Rob
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to Rob_

to Rob_
GSM should be TMO or AT&T or a combination of both.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to Rob_

to Rob_
Straight Talk doesn't use GSM for all of its phones. Some (e.g. the Defy XT and Galaxy Proclaim) are CDMA, on Verizon or Sprint.

As far as my contract reference goes, I was saying merely that the coverage footprint would be the same as if you had signed a contract with the underlying carrier (so you get native and roaming coverage). Straight Talk doesn't do contracts.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

It be nice if sprint uses it's whole network vs this crap.. lots of dead zones but I'm covered at least, if you don't plan on doing a lot of traveling, this is the phone for you I guess..

-Rob
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

"A lot of travelling" = overseas travel or what exactly? All four of Straight Talk's underlying carriers have national networks...

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

ztmike to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
said by Rob_:

Does any other prepaid company besides Boost Mobile have this phone? I do not like their coverage (or lack their of) and heard it was available on Straight Talk.

-Rob

Do yourself a favor and don't buy the Galaxy S2 from Walmart.. Its currently $349.99 »www.walmart.com/ip/Strai ··· 21678050

If you want a good phone, buy a unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB GSM version ..you can pick one up used on Craigslist for around $200-275 and it runs vanilla Android with the latest version. And its a better spec phone than a S2.

Then go to »www.straighttalksim.com and get yourself a GSM SIM for either AT&T or T-Mobile and the $45 monthly refill card.