join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Re: [IPv6] Troubleshooting Comcast IPv6 (Start Here)

said by plencnerb:

I think at this point, I wonder if I should start a new thread for this, as it is more a pfsense issue, then a comcast issue. I would hate to "muddy the waters" so to speak as I know that IPv6 is working in my area, and does work when I plug my desktop directly into the cable modem.

--Brian

Personally, a new thread just for my problem would be my choice; simultaneous sub threads with different sub topics are always somewhat difficult to navigate.

While having a known starting place to discuss Comcast IPv6 problems is a good idea, at some point there is going to be a problem when multiple users are trying to resolve multiple unrelated problems. Perhaps NetDog See Profile will post some guidelines/rules for this new semi-sticky thread.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

said by plencnerb:

I think at this point, I wonder if I should start a new thread for this, as it is more a pfsense issue, then a comcast issue. I would hate to "muddy the waters" so to speak as I know that IPv6 is working in my area, and does work when I plug my desktop directly into the cable modem.

--Brian

Personally, a new thread just for my problem would be my choice; simultaneous sub threads with different sub topics are always somewhat difficult to navigate.

While having a known starting place to discuss Comcast IPv6 problems is a good idea, at some point there is going to be a problem when multiple users are trying to resolve multiple unrelated problems. Perhaps NetDog See Profile will post some guidelines/rules for this new semi-sticky thread.

Maybe we do a troubleshooting post for each device? I am up for whatever, I was just looking for a way that new users could get an idea of where to start.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

Maybe we do a troubleshooting post for each device? I am up for whatever, I was just looking for a way that new users could get an idea of where to start.

I don't know what the solution will be (and I do think that a common starting place for Comcast IPv6 related problems is a good idea). However, already in plencnerb's sub thread (in which I have been participating) in this thread, there have been replies that were meant for plencnerb, but were actually addressed to you. Imagine the confusion factor if there were a half dozen totally unrelated active sub threads.

A forum moderator can be asked to separate sub thread elements into a new thread, but when posters reply to the thread instead of to individual posts (or posters), that complicates the job of extracting and collating those sub thread posts, and it could be a PITA if a moderator needed to do that on a regular basis (I know because I have had to do it for other forums/message boards).

EDIT:
While on the subject of multiple sub threads I have a curiosity question regarding IPv6 support for the Comcast/Netgear WNR1000v2-VC. That router was originally on Comcast's IPv6 approved gateway device list, but was subsequently withdrawn. Was that because it snags a /64 for its WAN interface, and also randomly changes its LAN PD prefix? And are Comcast/Netgear planning a firmware upgrade to address that?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
Maybe starting a new thread is the best idea and then maybe adding an entry here pointing to each new thread and giving a brief explanation of the issue?