All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
maskahu
join:2012-12-05

maskahu

[IA] HSI Hiccups

I just had 30/2 service installed in my rental, and while the DL speeds are sometimes within a reasonable range of advertised, I get these very brief disconnects, usually for no more than a minute, 2-5 times a day. It shouldn't be the router, as it has worked fine at the last two places I've lived and had Mediacom service. It's really just a small annoyance at this point than a hassle or a serious issue. Didn't know if it might get worse if I don't look into it further.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

This problem comes and goes for me. Yesterday was absolutely awful. Today I haven't noticed many issues.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to maskahu

Premium Member

to maskahu
what modems do you guys use?

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

Arris TM402G.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

maskahu and danawhitaker, if you are still having issues, send me an IM and I will be happy to look into them.
Turbocpe
Premium Member
join:2001-12-22
IA

1 recommendation

Turbocpe to maskahu

Premium Member

to maskahu
Monitor the cable modem's signal status page and see if the Downstream channel changes before and after those short outages. You may find the cable modem switching channels. Bainch outlined that Mediacom directs cable modems to less congested channels on the fly. It will cause a brief outage when the cable modem switches channels.

For some reason, only some technicians appear to know and understand this is occuring and that it is sometimes causing connectivity issues due to the amount of switching that may occur. Otherwise you get a scheduled trouble call for nothing. A DOCSIS 3 modem that channel bonds will "fix" this issue since Mediacom can't appear to better control the channel hopping.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by Turbocpe:

Monitor the cable modem's signal status page and see if the Downstream channel changes before and after those short outages. You may find the cable modem switching channels. Bainch outlined that Mediacom directs cable modems to less congested channels on the fly. It will cause a brief outage when the cable modem switches channels.

For some reason, only some technicians appear to know and understand this is occuring and that it is sometimes causing connectivity issues due to the amount of switching that may occur. Otherwise you get a scheduled trouble call for nothing. A DOCSIS 3 modem that channel bonds will "fix" this issue since Mediacom can't appear to better control the channel hopping.

I was reading something about that the other day - I can't recall if it was here, or on the Mediacom forums. That may just end up being the route I take. If memory serves me one of the reasons that I haven't yet done that is because I can't swap the phone modem out at the local office. Or I'm crazy. If it were a daily occurrence, I'd have made it a bigger priority. Sometimes I'll go a few weeks without having any issues. I'll keep an eye on the downstream channel info for now.