uniqs
share rss forum feed

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to cleanaudi

Re: [TWC] TW Internet Ultra 50/5mbit getting only 1mb/sec Usenet

us giganews server simply reaching usage limits I think, just use half connections to connect to the euro giga server at same time and it may help u in overall speed.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1
reply to cleanaudi
Are you sure it's just usenet? I also have the 50 meg service. I am only seeing 1meg download speeds using speedtest.net.

mpr86

join:2005-10-10
Beverly Hills, CA
You are only getting 1mb on speedtest? Thats something up with your connection

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
Summerville, SC
reply to cleanaudi
Something changed. Speedtest.net is now showing 40meg down. Astraweb with NewsBin is showing about 21meg down speeds.

mpr86

Beverly Hills, CA
reply to kilrathi
hmm yes this has actually helped a bit. but i doub tthis is a giganews problem as i've tried other newsgroup providers

SyphonBW

join:2004-02-24
Alliance, OH
reply to cleanaudi
Still the same old crap in NEO.Speedtests show 30mb everytime but 1.2mb max on usenet.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to cleanaudi
I have no issues just remember to try variety of ports your usenet server supports/ssl/vpn

SyphonBW

join:2004-02-24
Alliance, OH
reply to cleanaudi
Tried them all ssl and non ssl.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
reply to cleanaudi
FWIW, I have no problems getting 30 MBits here. Using port 443 with SSL.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to delar
said by delar:

I've got 30/5 and Giganews has been slow the last 2-3 weeks. Was always able to peg my max d/l speed but lately can only get 1/4 to 1/3 max speed. Need to use all 20 connections just to get that.....fewer connections, slower speed.

Speed tests and other downloads still show that I have the service I'm paying for, its just not working with usenet. Changing ports, reconfiguring router, rebooting modem.......no effect. This sucks.

Same here with my TWC's 10/1 and 15/1 with GigaNews the last few weeks. I don't know what's up!

mpr86

Beverly Hills, CA
reply to cleanaudi
I thought this post went through but apparently it didn't so I'm reposting.

Go to »broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparen···test.php

And then select "Usenet (NNTP)" and begin the test. Based on this it seems that TWC is completely blocked Usenet NNTP service off their servers. I tested it and the test failed. I then tethered my phone with Verizon 4G LTE and the test went through successfully. I even had a friend with another connection try it and his worked (non TWC).

So it seems that TWC is blocking this service.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
That test worked fien for me. Also, if they blocked it, then no connections would work at all. In this threads case, traffic is just slow for some.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
reply to cleanaudi
Today I had some slowness on usenet as well. But I figured out what the problem is. I went and looked at a certain webpage which will tell you how much of it was actually posted and noticed the file I was downloading showed as incomplete on their server. So what was happening was my usenet downloader was wasting a lot of time trying to download pieces that weren't there. I then started downloading a different file that was 100% and my download speed went back to normal.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
There has been a huge problem lately with new posts propagating out to all peers correctly from the main server it was posted on.
--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to delar
said by delar:

said by cleanaudi :

Go to: »www.giganews.com/performance.html

Under Newsgroup Download Speed Test click on Test. If testing keeps blinking yet nothing else happens then something is being blocked. At work when I do this it actually works, but at home with 50/5 it just keeps blinking meaning there is some sort of block to the servers happening by TimeWarner.

I noticed the same yesterday. The Giganews speed test just sits there and does nothing but blink "testing" at me...

Same here on two different ISPs (my TWC's 10/1 and my friend's FIOS) with my Giganews access.

Did you guys ask Giganews Support about the speed tests?

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to cleanaudi
that site java test on giganews dont work forme for ages but i have no issues with actual giganews usenet.

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA
reply to cleanaudi
Same issue here. I have a TWC 20/2 connection. A few days ago my usenet downloads (newshosting) starting maxing out around 1mb.
--
Next time you wave at me, use ALL your fingers.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
Summerville, SC
reply to cleanaudi
Any updates on this issue with TWC? I have a 50meg pipe and I usually get all of it with Astraweb. Now I range anywhere from 5-12meg down.

TWCSUCKS

@rr.com
I'm having the exact same issue i'm getting B/s per sec! Thru time warner...!! what is going on!!?

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA
reply to cquick11
said by cquick11:

At my house, if I use Usenet to dl, it caps at like 1.4Mbps

This is the exact same speed I'm getting if I max-out my connections to 30.

TWC, whether they realize it or not, must be the cause.
--
Next time you wave at me, use ALL your fingers.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
Summerville, SC
reply to cleanaudi
It's crazy, around 1am my full pipe came back with Astraweb. As of 11am today it's still pulling at the full speed.

delar

join:2004-04-20
Honolulu, HI
Yep, full speed here too this morning.

A previous poster indicated seeing the problem on FIOS as well his TWC, so perhaps the problem is at the source and not with the ISP.

cquick11
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Culver City, CA
back to normal for me too

TWCSUCKS

@rr.com
Not here.. i'm at 384 B/s! that is B not MB/s or KB/S it's.... B/s! I tried newsdemon and Supernews..! Any help would be appreciated..!

cquick11
Premium
Culver City, CA
back to not working, so now i max out two Usenet providers at 60 connections to get top speeds, If I only use one, i get half of my connection. This is very strange indeed, though this morning i was getting max speeds on one Usenet proivder.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by cquick11:

back to not working, so now i max out two Usenet providers..

Which two providers?
--

cquick11
Premium
Culver City, CA
supernews and newshosting, two different routes. supernews is in texas, and newshosting is in arizona. They are two different usenet backbones.

mpr86

Beverly Hills, CA
reply to cleanaudi
back to slow speeds here again. ugh

crunch_

@rr.com
reply to cleanaudi
same here in santa clarita , awful speeds on usenet , 1 mb sec , used to be at 3.8mb steady

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Were those only during peak hours or quiet hours?