kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to cleanaudi

Premium Member

to cleanaudi

Re: [TWC] TW Internet Ultra 50/5mbit getting only 1mb/sec Usenet

again it maybe only specific market or location in usa because I have no problems everything is same as always.
cquick11
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Culver City, CA

cquick11

Premium Member

haven't check in awhile and nothing has changed, still 1.7 dl cap

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC

mm to cleanaudi

Premium Member

to cleanaudi
It's been working great for the last few days in SC.
mm

mm to cleanaudi

Premium Member

to cleanaudi
I should not have posted, now I jinxed myself. Back to dead slow speeds on Usenet.

Morfein
Lead Peon
Premium Member
join:2004-09-08
Brownsburg, IN

Morfein

Premium Member

I'm also seeing what appears to be throttled connection to usenet. I am going to try port change and see if that does anything. Has the main page of this site picked up on this story or made inquiries about it?
Morfein

Morfein to cleanaudi

Premium Member

to cleanaudi
OK. Changed my SSL port and now maxing out connection. Was on 443, and moved to 600.

SoCal92128
@qualcomm.com

SoCal92128

Anon

I am having the same issues, tried astraweb and giganews and both seem to be limited to 1.5 to 2Mbps even though I am on a 50/5 extreme connection. I tried SSL, different ports nothing works. Looks like Time Warner are packet shaping usenet now

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to cleanaudi

Premium Member

to cleanaudi
again... no problems here

and whether tw actually packet shaping ur traffic how about u do a test like »broadband.mpi-sws.org/tr ··· test.php before making conclusions without proof.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

Suit Up

said by kilrathi:

again... no problems here

Yep. I'm still pulling in full speeds as well.

SoCal92128
@rr.com

SoCal92128

Anon

How else do you explain the piss poor usenet speeds then if its not packet shaping? I'm pulling in 50M for downloading BSD cd images for example but both astraweb and giganews are hovering around the 1.5Mbps range.
SoCal92128

SoCal92128 to Suit Up

Anon

to Suit Up
OK, so I am back to full speed and it's just past 11pm. I have a feeling they are traffic shaping in certain areas during peak hours.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to SoCal92128

to SoCal92128
said by SoCal92128 :

How else do you explain the piss poor usenet speeds then if its not packet shaping? I'm pulling in 50M for downloading BSD cd images for example but both astraweb and giganews are hovering around the 1.5Mbps range.

See my first post in this thread. Have you verified it's not that? So far nobody has confirmed that the file is 100% propagated and still downloading slowly. And the fact that there are also reports of it happening with other ISPs at the same time discounts the likelihood that it's TWC specifically doing traffic shaping.

SoCal92128
@qualcomm.com

SoCal92128

Anon

Yep, i tried several different articles ranging from 1 to 200 days old, same problem. Also just past 11pm the speed shot up to the full 6MBps I should have been getting. There is definitely traffic shaping happening during peak hours....maybe on certain nodes only since not everyone is seeing this.
said by Suit Up:

said by SoCal92128 :

See my first post in this thread. Have you verified it's not that? So far nobody has confirmed that the file is 100% propagated and still downloading slowly. And the fact that there are also reports of it happening with other ISPs at the same time discounts the likelihood that it's TWC specifically doing traffic shaping.

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

more like you have overcongested node at peak times, its also possible the route on tw network is congested at peak times, this is way more likely than actual packet shaping...

Have you actually ran the test yet: »broadband.mpi-sws.org/tr ··· test.php
oldbuzzard
join:2001-12-06
Austin, TX

oldbuzzard to cleanaudi

to cleanaudi
I have noticed the same problem. I've sighed at every post about Usenet Throttling in the past, but have found that I no longer can get close to the speeds I used to get or that I routinely get from non Usenet sources.

I can hit the modem cap from many different speedtest sights and many different servers - I just watched Meet The Press on their website and saw it buffer at 30 Megs (my plan limit) - at 9PM on a weekday...wirelessly!. 20+ connections can't so that anymore on Usenet. Time of day doesn't seem to change that. And it happens with two different services with different server locations - when both used to work fine.

It can't be an overloaded node or all sources would be impacted. One possible wrinkle - TW seems to have routing issues to DC and ATL. I think the main Giganews US server is in DC. I will post on that issue separately.

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

Try to use half connections to usa giganews and other half to giganews european server... also have you tried that packet shaping of nntp test site?
oldbuzzard
join:2001-12-06
Austin, TX

oldbuzzard

I've tried it and it will measure everything but NNTP which always gives an error. Says there is not torrent throttling, but I don't use torrents
Q1DM6
join:2013-01-09
Florence, SC

Q1DM6 to cleanaudi

to cleanaudi
I signed up just to post in this thread. YES we are being somehow throttled at night. This is disgusting beyond measure. It seems to start around midnight est. I am in the Florence SC region and this is REALLY pissing me off.

TWC is about to lose their outrageous $100/month I'm paying them.
cquick11
Premium Member
Culver City, CA

cquick11

Premium Member

Anyone still experiencing this? Two usernet providers, maxed at 60 connections, only get 2.8 dl. If I drop one in saznzb, it drops to 1.6.

Normal speeds are 50mb/5.
SyphonBW
join:2004-02-24
Alliance, OH

SyphonBW to cleanaudi

to cleanaudi
Im using usenetserver i get full 50 mb all the time if i dont use SSL
if i do enable SSL i will only get 10mb or less.

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria

said by SyphonBW:

Im using usenetserver i get full 50 mb all the time if i dont use SSL
if i do enable SSL i will only get 10mb or less.

SSL = totally useless for usenet.

UNS: 10 connections, average 32.5 mbit 24/7 on 30/5 plan

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by Elyria:

I wouldnt say it is useless. It certainly has its uses for ISP related issues.

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria

said by swintec:

said by Elyria:

I wouldnt say it is useless. It certainly has its uses for ISP related issues.

Not knowledgeable how the SSL relationship with the ISP is utilized , unless it's anon abilities are what you're referring to .
I do know, that the usage slows downloads. If the session keys to encrypt and decrypt were fast enough to keep up.......we wouldn't see any difference using it. Right ?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Elyria:

Not knowledgeable how the SSL relationship with the ISP is utilized , unless it's anon abilities are what you're referring to .
I do know, that the usage slows downloads. If the session keys to encrypt and decrypt were fast enough to keep up.......we wouldn't see any difference using it. Right ?

Plenty of users (quite a few in European countries) use it to get around traffic shaping and throttling issues seen on non-encrypted traffic / ports from ISPs.

Also, keep in mind that NNTP passes login information in plain text. SSL / NNTPS would be useful if you were on a public wifi network.

I wouldn't say it slows downloads necessarily, just makes downloads marginally longer. If you have a 50 MBit connection, your newsreader will still show you downloading at 50 MBits with SSL enabled, it will simply take a bit longer since there is SSL related data in the packets...which leaves less room for the actual data that you want. So essentially, you need an increase of data packets to come up with the end result....but it will still download at the same speed reflected in your newsreader.
cquick11
Premium Member
Culver City, CA

cquick11 to cleanaudi

Premium Member

to cleanaudi
So, i was doing some testing with binreader, instead of sabnzb on my htpc. I tested supernews and newshosting on the american servers. I tested supernews on the EU server and I found they go through different routes. My slow speeds only occur on the ibone.comcast network, the supernew.eu goes through above.net. This is of course after the rr hops.

Does anyone know if Comcast is throttle nntp on their networks?

If you're having issues, do some traceroutes and find a news provider who doesn't go through Comcast, and do some testing.

Hope this helps.