share rss forum feed

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

[help] php questions (on godaddy)

Hey guys,

Helping a friend here. I only know html and a little css.

My friend Eliot had a website created and it went live in October no problem, but about a week ago it vanished and he gets an error (please IM me for the domain). So he called me to see if I can fix it. It took forever to get the correct login info but I finally downloaded the files.

Part of the problem is that all the pages have *.php extensions. Yes, I know it's valid, but godaddy says that only htm and html extensions can be used on at least the index/welcome page. This one has welcome.php. I googled godaddy and php and they talk about the php5 extension, but not php.

When I code, I can check the pages by clicking on the html file and it opens in my browser. Not so these.

How do I view this website locally?

Any ideas on the potential problem?

Thanks
--
"While you can teach an old dog new tricks, you simply can't teach him to be a cat."

"Are you my Mummy?"

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

You're not going to be able to execute the php files locally unless you install php for Windows, and Apache to act as a webserver.

If godaddy is not allowing the index page to be anything other than an htm or html file, I would consider switching web hosts.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Toad

join:2001-07-22
Bradford, ON
kudos:1
reply to Sweet Witch

What package is he on with GoDaddy? It looks like a common complaint with them is using index.php before index.html? Is it possible he downgraded his service when this happened?
--
»www.toddsplace.ca

Sweet Witch
Premium,MVM
Gallifrey
reply to Rob

The choices are on page 24 - »img5.wsimg.com/help/guides/share···ggsg.pdf

It does accept index.php, but not welcome.php.

I have no clue how to help my friend fix this.
--
"While you can teach an old dog new tricks, you simply can't teach him to be a cat."

"Are you my Mummy?"

Sweet Witch
Premium,MVM
Gallifrey
reply to Toad

I don't know the exact package but the guy is pretty 'frugal' so it would probably be the cheapest.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
reply to Sweet Witch

Oh, I understand now.

Yes, I would agree with Godaddy. It's recommend to use index.extension as the index/main page.

What is the problem?

Sweet Witch
Premium,MVM
Gallifrey

The root problem is bossy sisters and a weak brother

Eliot had decided not to create the website but his sisters hired someone anyway. This guy had it up and running but Eliot doesn't like him, or the site really, and wants to hire me to fix it. But since he used php I can't do anything but code one from scratch, which Eliot doesn't want to pay for. I can't even give him the simple fix of changing the file name and checking the code on the other pages to redirect to the new filename. Eliot doesn't even want to communicate with this guy to change the filename himself though I think that's going to have to be the solution.
--

"Are you my Mummy?"

Hypernia

join:2013-01-01
reply to Sweet Witch

Why not just create a new index.php (or index.html) and just have it redirect to your welcome.php?

Simple, done.

Sweet Witch
Premium,MVM
Gallifrey

Rob See Profile fixed it for Eliot. It had some corruptions and an old version of WordPress that were causing the problems.
--

"Are you my Mummy?"