share rss forum feed

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

Hyundai Equus

Click for full size
Hyundai has come a long way. They have some good looking, reliable, and well performing cars. But are they going to be able to sell a Hyundai that has an MSRP starting at $60,000, and is nothing more than a Lexus LS460 knock off?
»www.caranddriver.com/comparisons···son-test

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

My Son just bought a Genesis Sport Coupe...Paid 33k for it.

Somebody will buy it.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
The OC
kudos:6

1 recommendation

If I were buying something now, that would be on my short list.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to Lurch77
Apparently Hyundai thinks that the formula to success is: Infiniti M body (at least profile), Mercedes S class grill, I can't place my finger on where they ripped the headlights from, but they look very familiar topped off with a chrysler hood decoration and you can charge $60k for it?

I'm sure someone out there will be thrilled to have this car, but there are better options out there for $60k.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

Tucker, GA
reply to Lurch77
I think the appeal of the line and of this car specificly is that for 60k (Genesis 32k) you get decent fit and finish,new technology and amenities of a car costing twice as much. Cant beat their warranty either.

I took over the payments on his Tiberon and have been driving it for about a month. Its a decent little 2 door coupe with BALLS.

Drive one. It WILL suprise you.

(I'd rather send my money to Korea then China and there is no such thing as am American car anymore.)
--

heebz6020

join:2001-03-10
Milwaukee, WI
I know I put in the same answer on an earlier post, but for that kind of money I would completely ignore a Hyundai and look at a Jag XF Supercharged. They are some of the best looking cars, and have plenty of power, IMHO.
I so want to be driving one in the next year.....

(images borrowed from lincoln vs. cadillac site)

--
Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.....

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN
reply to Lurch77
We've had a couple through the shop, and while I wouldn't pay $60k for a Hyundai, the Equus is actually built very well, and has quite a few toys on the inside.

Only real design issue I've seen on them is that the HVAC and radio controls in the rear can not be locked out up front.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

Tucker, GA
reply to Lurch77
Jag???

You dont read Consumer Reports do you?
--

heebz6020

Milwaukee, WI

1 recommendation

Consumer Reports is a joke when dealing with car ratings. I stopped reading them years ago. There are WAY too many automotive websites who have reviews I trust more than them.
Every carmaker has their "warts" so I might as well drive something that speaks to me.
--

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to pmohr
said by pmohr:

We've had a couple through the shop, and while I wouldn't pay $60k for a Hyundai, the Equus is actually built very well, and has quite a few toys on the inside.

Only real design issue I've seen on them is that the HVAC and radio controls in the rear can not be locked out up front.

And yet any argument for that car can be met with a "Its a $60K Hyundai!" I think VW learned its lesson with a Paethon (SP?), time for Hyundai to learn theirs I guess.

No_Strings
The OC

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
There is a guy here in town that has a 2006 model, just before it was discontinued in the States. I know it was a $70,000 car, but I can;t help but think Beetle when I see the VW logo. I'm exactly the reason companies like Toyota, Honda, and Nissan started Lexus, Acura, and Infinity.

No_Strings
The OC
Hey, put some rings on the grill, a V8 under the hood and some dipshit will pay 60 grand for a Passat. It's a strange world, isn't it?

More to the topic, the Genesis and the Equus are very popular around here - almost always in black. Seem like for some cultures, a black Benz means you have arrived. A black Equus means you want to look like you've arrived.

gattaca
Premium
join:2003-05-28
USA
reply to Lurch77
My family has owned a few Hyundais. From our experience, i'm sure this will be an entirely competent car, and fairly reliable.

But this probably isn't a car for an "enthusiast" or someone who wants to have a connection with their car. That's our experience.

A good car on paper, hard to pick any fault with in person, but completely lacking in character or "soul".

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to Lurch77
Does this mean that Hyundai now has a Pony in the near luxury class?

It sure seems like a Stellar idea.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

Tucker, GA
reply to Lurch77
I'm not a fan of the brand although I have taken over payments on a 2006 Tiburon. I kinda inherited it from the Son when he bought the Genesis.

Its a 2006 SE V6 6 speed. No soul???No way. Its the first small car I've ever owned that had ballz.

Hyundia has that 100k mile warranty because they had some SERIOUS engine and electrical problems in the earlier part of the century. The boy had a 2001 Elantra that slung its timing belt at 110k after a warped head flooded the belt with coolant. I put 1200 in parts in the car and he ran it another 60k before selling it but everyone I know who's owned that era Hyundai has done the same....

They were cheap econobox's....But this Tib is anything but and his Genesis is a beaut! fit and finish is up there with the Japanese cars...The jury is still out on reliability.

I remember the 1984 Nissan Sentra I bought as a new car....It was a a cheap little eco box that lasted 100k. After that the head warped, 1/2 shafts started popping and clutch all went at the same time. I junked it cause the parts were more then the value of the car AND the car had no endearing qualities.

I think the Koreans have finally turned their own tide and are starting to step it up a bit.

If I was in the market for a luxury car right now I'd have too go look at one.

(But I am ersonally waiting to see what FMC does with the Lincoln brand!)

P.S. You couldn't GIVE me a JAG! The brand is ate up with tranny and electrical problems....Has a money pit reputation and it is well earned.

--

heebz6020

Milwaukee, WI

(But I am ersonally waiting to see what FMC does with the Lincoln brand!)

And being a Lincoln owner and and fan, I too await if Ford can resurrect a dying brand.....

P.S. You couldn't GIVE me a JAG! The brand is ate up with tranny and electrical problems....Has a money pit reputation and it is well earned.

We will agree to disagree...I'll take the Jag over a $60000 Hyundai.
(just typing the phrase $60000 Hyundai seems wrong)
--

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to DeltaElite
I pretty much have to agree on Hyundai's reputation. We are a Kia house here (which is pretty much Hyundai's brother/sister for all intents. Same vehicles, facelift a bit inside and out, slap a new badge on it and go.) and have seen pretty much the same. Cousin had an old pre-'00 Sephia and brother used to have an '00-ish Rio and both were definitely nothing to write home about and had their fair share of problems. Fast forward we now have an '06 Optima, '07 Sportage, '09 Sportage, and a separate cousin has a brand new '12 Sportage. All are very solid and fun to drive vehicles. In fact the '09 I drive personally every now and then and love the way it handles. Doesn't have oodles of power under the hood like the Optima (which I have to watch myself in most times. No safety nannies like trac control, ABS, etc.. Many times in the rain I've had it spin the tires a bit from a dead stop under the lightest throttle) but the interior and the ride feel are great. Mind you all these late models have had zero issues beyond usual wear items.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18

1 edit
reply to Lurch77
It's a good car. No doubt about that.

Nevertheless for approximately the same range of dough I would prefer a Mercedes E550 with most of the optional toys. The one potential drawback is you cannot get RWD in the E550 sedan. It is strictly AWD. Only the E550 Coupe or two-door sedan offers RWD.

Of course if you want an "E" class sedan that is a rocket with RWD and a locking differential for only 30-40 grand extra you can buy the E63.

The main functional difference between the two vehicles is the Mercedes is an intermediate size car and the Hyundai is a full size sedan. Consequently the Mercedes doesn't have the rear seat room that the Hyundai does. Also the cost of maintenance and repair for the Mercedes outside of warranty is higher.