Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

said by La Luna:

Might be an (unresolved) issue:

»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···f966af62

That thread is really DISTRESSING! Had I seen this earlier I would have returned this computer. It is (the software installation of Win 8 not the hardware) defective obviously and Microsoft doesn't care. I depend on System Restore and I expect an automatic restore point daily. If Microsoft is telling folks who call that they have a defective installation of Windows...man I wish I had known sooner. I am right against the return date and I would prefer that to reinstalling which probably won't fix it anyway because I think the CSR's at Microsoft don't know what they are talking about when they tell callers their machines are defective...the Windows installation is defective. I'm sure Dell will be happy to hear that they are installing defective Windows 8 images.

At least one person in the thread said they have the OS on an SSD. I wonder if what is actually happening is that Windows 8 is not dropping off the old restore points automatically when restore is getting full but only on SSD?

Unlike for some users in the thread, it has made restore points automatically for some software installs, but not others....that's odd. I have not made any manual points partly because I figured Win 8 had System Restore perfected (Microsoft has had enough OSes by now to get System Restore bugs gone) and partly because my disk on my XP computer is too full to make system restore automatic points, and I have gotten out of doing manual ones on it as I haven't been installing new software, so, I thought briefly about it on Win 8, but with so much to learn I didn't actually look at it until yesterday after Dell's backup program was yelling at me.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

I have never relied on something else to do something for me when it comes to my computer, especially making System Restore Points.

I've never had a problem with an update before so it doesn't bother me if it doesn't make a restore point. However, I do manually make restore points if and when I'm about to do something stupid. And by stupid I mean things like updating drivers, replacing drivers, changing some obscure setting, etc.

Mele20 See Profile, given the way you refer to security software and the way you want ABSOLUTE control over just about everything on your computer, I'd have expected you to be making your own restore points.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

Well, she WAS expecting that the restore points were being generated on a daily basis, which is apparently not happening and should be. She probably will make her own now.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

... Unlike for some users in the thread, it has made restore points automatically for some software installs, but not others....that's odd. ...

I wonder if Win8 is supposed to auto-detect a program installer's activation and auto-create a restore point before proceeding, as well as using that same routine via the restore-point scheduler... and perhaps that's where a defect lies. On the other hand, some apps software may be designed to specifically flag an API to request a restore point be generated by Windows... and perhaps that path does work (much like manually generating a point), and those are the ones that do trigger creation of a restore point.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

I rather thought that it was up to the app's installer, unless the Windows-provided installer was involved (.msi file).

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I depend on System Restore and I expect an automatic restore point daily.

I'm sorry it's failed now (due to a new bug or whatever reason). But you may create a new scheduled task, that will make RP every day.

my disk on my XP computer is too full to make system restore automatic points,

I hope you know that in XP you can easily limit disk space allocated for that purpose. Older RP's will be deleted automatically...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

said by OZO:

said by Mele20:

I depend on System Restore and I expect an automatic restore point daily.

I'm sorry it's failed now (due to a new bug or whatever reason). But you may create a new scheduled task, that will make RP every day.

my disk on my XP computer is too full to make system restore automatic points,

I hope you know that in XP you can easily limit disk space allocated for that purpose. Older RP's will be deleted automatically...

What I meant (but said very poorly) was that it makes only one restore point for some time now and has deleted all others. I used to have 90 days of restore points when the disk was maybe 1/2 full...then that shrank to 60, then 30 and now just one. In fact, Windows turned off System Restore on XP when my free space dropped to about 15% and I couldn't even defrag (not that XP needs that often). I deleted everything I could then and now have about 20% free space so System Restore was turned back on by Windows. (I haven't needed more than 30 days of points in years but if I had the space why not)?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson