uniqs
share rss forum feed

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

The Steam box has been revealed.

»www.kotaku.com.au/2012/12/gabe-n···onsoles/

Now you can have your own console that will play all of the current steam games for mac linux!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Excellent.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to Metatron2008

I already have a gaming machine that hooks up to my TV, its called an Xbox and it works great.
--
Any it new they in one. You here for mine you here.
-JV

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to Metatron2008

I can see the appeal of this for people who like Steam, but I still like playing a physical copy of a game and don't want to jump through all of Steam's hoops. It's certainly not going to lure me away from dedicated consoles.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

said by danawhitaker:

I can see the appeal of this for people who like Steam, but I still like playing a physical copy of a game and don't want to jump through all of Steam's hoops. It's certainly not going to lure me away from dedicated consoles.

»dvice.com/archives/2012/05/sony-···cros.php

Sony and Microsoft were going to have their next gen consoles be download only, but changed their mind. Mainly because they feel the internet connections in many places are unreliable/non-existent.
So they thought about it, they changed their minds. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just not the next gen.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

said by danawhitaker:

I agree, I prefer a physical medium if I'm paying a premium price for it. If people think the prices for "download only" games on consoles would be lower need only look in the PS Store, Xbox store, Wii/u store to see that they charge the same price for a digital copy as you would pay for a disc. That's bullshit. From the article snakeoil posted:

quote:
Sony decided against a download-only model largely because Internet connections are too inconsistent around the world,
That and people are pissed about the Vita and their inability to play their PSP games on it without buying it again. Slag that. Had the Vita been met more openly, they would likely choose to make the PS4 download only.

There is NO reason, besides expecting people to pay for a game several times, why any next gen console can't sustain games being installed from discs and run from the console itself. Piracy? Require the disc be inserted every 20 plays or so to verify, or a code from the booklet be typed in, whatever. There are plenty of ways for companies to protect themselves from piracy while allowing gamers to play games from their consoles, and thus preserving their optical drives, faster loads, etc.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

quote:
If people think the prices for "download only" games on consoles would be lower need only look in the PS Store, Xbox store, Wii/u store to see that they charge the same price for a digital copy as you would pay for a disc.

Further evidence of this is in digital movies, books, and magazine downloads.
Every time I go for an ebook, I see that it's price is either the same or higher then the physical book at my local shop. So why bother buying the ebook, when I can nab the real book, and resell it at a later date, if I need too.

As for games, I seldom buy any new. I feel the game developers/companies are pricing themselves outta work. 60 bucks is why to much for a game in which I'll only get 10 hours play time, before I have to pay for DL content. I understand they are putting hours of work into the programming/FXs/scripts of the game. But lets face it, many of the 'Must have games" turn into a pile of steaming shit, after they are released to the public. Meaning they fail to live up to their hype.

Heck, I'd be "grumpy" but happy with a pay as you go system. Buy the core of the game for 20 to 30 bucks. If you like it, unlock the next level for 5 or 10 bucks. And just keep unlocking levels until the game is done, or you are done.
In awhile, that is what modern games are, pay as you go. Only now you are dropping 60 bucks to get out the gate, then a few weeks later the DL content is released for only 5 to 20 dollars more.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to captokita

said by captokita:

said by danawhitaker:

I agree, I prefer a physical medium if I'm paying a premium price for it. If people think the prices for "download only" games on consoles would be lower need only look in the PS Store, Xbox store, Wii/u store to see that they charge the same price for a digital copy as you would pay for a disc. That's bullshit. From the article snakeoil posted:

quote:
Sony decided against a download-only model largely because Internet connections are too inconsistent around the world,
That and people are pissed about the Vita and their inability to play their PSP games on it without buying it again. Slag that. Had the Vita been met more openly, they would likely choose to make the PS4 download only.

There is NO reason, besides expecting people to pay for a game several times, why any next gen console can't sustain games being installed from discs and run from the console itself. Piracy? Require the disc be inserted every 20 plays or so to verify, or a code from the booklet be typed in, whatever. There are plenty of ways for companies to protect themselves from piracy while allowing gamers to play games from their consoles, and thus preserving their optical drives, faster loads, etc.

I actually think this move is less about combating piracy, and more about something that probably legitimately affects the bottom line of console gaming companies more than piracy ever has or will - the second hand game market. If they were to make everything download-only, half of Gamestop's business model would be gone in the blink of an eye. Why pay $60 for a new game when you can buy the used copy for $50 or even $55? - and that's just immediately after launch, that gap gets significantly larger the further you get from the original launch window. That's money that the developers and publishers never see. The entire entertainment industry is salivating at the idea of forcing everyone over to digital so we can just perpetually pay for the same content over and over across multiple devices and family members.

I was reading more about the PSP/Vita thing, and I have to admit, I'm surprised that Sony users were even surprised at this. The PS2 had some sketchy backwards compatibility with the original Playstation. I had games that wouldn't play at all, and none of that involved download content. The Xbox > Xbox 360 transition was terrible too. I'm basically used to the idea that I need to keep the original iteration of a console or handheld around because there's no guarantee that they'll end up being compatible. Nintendo seems to be an exception to this, at least with their handhelds.
--

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to captokita

said by captokita:

I agree, I prefer a physical medium if I'm paying a premium price for it.

Steam gives ridiculous deals on almost-new games all the time with their sales. Wait a couple of months and that hot new game comes up in the Spring, Summer, Halloween, Fall, or Christmas sale for half off. I bought Borderlands 2 a couple of weeks ago for $30. Wait a six months to a year and that game will most likely be $5 - $10. I've never seen sales like that for physical media and older full games on XBL and PSN are still full priced(!).

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Metatron2008

Sounds cool, but its probably just gonna be an entry level-mid range gaming pc. I figured this would be coming soon since steam just put out big picture mode, its perfect for a steam "console". Still if this brings steam sales to the masses maybe it will lower the prices(or at least give better sales) for other games too. I mean why pay $60 for the xbox version when, assuming the steambox and the 720 cost the same, you can get it for $40 or less on the steam box. Not to mention all the $10 an under games on sale all the time.

Regardless if this makes steam/pc gaming bigger it can only be good. The more people get in to using mods and use what will hopefully be a more open platform like normal pcs are, the better.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

said by captokita:

I agree, I prefer a physical medium if I'm paying a premium price for it.

Steam gives ridiculous deals on almost-new games all the time with their sales. Wait a couple of months and that hot new game comes up in the Spring, Summer, Halloween, Fall, or Christmas sale for half off. I bought Borderlands 2 a couple of weeks ago for $30. Wait a six months to a year and that game will most likely be $5 - $10. I've never seen sales like that for physical media and older full games on XBL and PSN are still full priced(!).

I actually picked up Forza Horizon for $15 and Angry Birds for the Xbox 360 for $20 a few weeks ago. Console games often get sales at major retailers too, like buy 2 and get 1 free, or buy 1 get one 50% off, etc., that can significantly lower the cost per game, especially if you pay attention and try to time your purchases (which isn't that much different than waiting for Steam to put them on sale). Toys R Us does a big sale in late October/early November that I wait for each year.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state

I gamed exclusively on consoles for most of my life, and I'm 35. Of course I've shopped around for the best deals in gaming, from Amazon to e-mail lists to physically browsing the aisles. When I started gaming on the pc I was absolutely floored by the Steam Sales and the titles available there. We're talking 50 to 80% off of big games that have been out a year or less, and this happens multiple times a year. And in my experience just about every game will be discounted within the first year, minus multiplayer juggernauts like COD. Anyway the Steam box seems like a good idea for anyone wanting to get into pc gaming but not wanting to build their own machine.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

Steam gives ridiculous deals on almost-new games all the time with their sales.

Yup, I picked up Batman AC on their last big sale.

It's not the digital versions I'm against, I'm against paying the same price for it as I would the hard copy in the store. At least with the hard copy, I get box art, manual art (sometimes), which adds value to the purchase.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

said by captokita:

said by bionicRod:

It's not the digital versions I'm against, I'm against paying the same price for it as I would the hard copy in the store. At least with the hard copy, I get box art, manual art (sometimes), which adds value to the purchase.

I'm sure the argument Steam or EA (with Origin) would use is that they have to pay for the bandwidth on their end that allows them to upload it to you, and that they also have to pay for the space to keep the file stored so you can always redownload it. And you're also paying for the service that automatically updates your software, etc etc. I'm sure they could even come up with a few things I haven't even thought of. Probably just a basic convenience fee so you don't have to leave your house (I saw this one cited a lot with the last two World of Warcraft launches).

That being said, I was really disappointed when I cracked open Forza Horizons and found...no manual.
--

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

Sony and Microsoft were going to have their next gen consoles be download only, but changed their mind. Mainly because they feel the internet connections in many places are unreliable/non-existent.

So they thought about it, they changed their minds. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just not the next gen.

Well considering the next gen will be 8-9 years after this gen then the gen after that will appear around late 2021 or later. I'm not going not worry about 9 years from now. I will say that the issues of slow internet, non existent internet or heavily capped internet will still pretty much be around in 9 years. They shouldn't but they will.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

Further evidence of this is in digital movies, books, and magazine downloads.

Every time I go for an ebook, I see that it's price is either the same or higher then the physical book at my local shop. So why bother buying the ebook, when I can nab the real book, and resell it at a later date, if I need too.

The reason is simple companies like Wal-Mart sell a lot of books. You do not want to tick off the mighty Wal-Mart but selling the e-version for cheaper. If a HD download of movie was priced at $15 that would not only be cheaper than the blu-ray but also the DVD. Wal-Mart could just stop selling the DVD/Blu-rays from that company. Too many people still buy physical discs and buy them at Wal-Mart for these companies to offer lower pricing and lose Wal-Mart's business

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to captokita

said by captokita:

said by bionicRod:

I get that Cap, but my argument is with known sales like the Steam sales, you're effectively getting a hell of a discount for buying digitally. Not right at release, no, but often very soon after, at prices not regularly matched in B&M or online stores with physical copies.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Metatron2008

Steam Christmas sale shoud start on Dec.20th

That's when we'll get a ton of crazy sales on new titles.

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to Snakeoil

I find the idea of digital gaming intriguing. In the past I'm able to log into my buddies PSN account and download content to my PS3 that he purchased. If this can be done in the future, that's great. I don't have to be able to play every single game online.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

said by sleuth:

I find the idea of digital gaming intriguing. In the past I'm able to log into my buddies PSN account and download content to my PS3 that he purchased. If this can be done in the future, that's great. I don't have to be able to play every single game online.

I found this intriguing too and apparently that's intended behavior. In the past, it used to be that you could share content with up to five people - they reduced it to two about a year ago. That's contrary to my experience with any other digital content. I suspect that will be the exception rather than the rule in the future though. It's too bad, because I can see the logic behind it. There've been times where I had friends considering purchasing games or download content but they hesitate because none of their friends want to spend the money on it and play with them. That might be the make or break difference between a sale, and perhaps Sony recognized that.
--
Expand your moderator at work