All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
richieemason
join:2011-08-30

richieemason

It is possible? Usenet is Dead?

With the recent few months of DMCA hitting like wildfires over various files on usenet. Plus, Duke and Microsoft closing off their historic usenet binaries.

A one man group (»www.morganelligroup.com) have found a way to software a way to detect and delete/report any files that fall within a violation of DMCA/SOPA.

Is filesharing going back to the dark days? When there is a secret code about where and how you got something.

I believe the internet which was a free data flowing of information is now being controlled by business hungry of businessmen trying to exploits what the internet is all about. The freedom to share information.

Piracy is not stealing, its just sharing. Someone still brought the damn movie, recorded the show on PVR and uploaded it because someone else in another world doesn't have the ability to see it in their own country because of laws or lack of freedom to see them.

People still go to the movies, people still buy cable tv, cable companies still stream their contents on their websites or cable boxes, people still rent movies and so on.

Its all about greed and control.

Maybe, I just don't get it as I been a lifetime user since I was 15 when we had dial up and logged into AOL. Downloading a picture of Pamela Anderson naked on usenet was slow or getting a theme song of Stone Cold Steve Austin back in the WWF Attitude day to put on my tape player to play to high school or something.

Just saying, the world is changing and so is the internet.
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1

Usenet is dead for the people that wanted the easy click and download nzb that someone else found for them. If you know how to find your stuff through raw search and such, it will be very much alive. The noobs will panic and flee but people like myself who have been using Usenet for years and know its ins and outs, will still be able to get anything just about we want.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to richieemason

Premium Member

to richieemason
said by richieemason:

... have found a way to software a way to detect and delete/report any files that fall within a violation of DMCA/SOPA.

I wouldnt say he found a way like it is something new and cutting edge. You can set up your own indexer with spare PCs in your basement now. There was nothing stopping anyone from doing the same thing and taking it one step further like in this case.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by swintec:

I wouldnt say he found a way like it is something new and cutting edge. You can set up your own indexer with spare PCs in your basement now. There was nothing stopping anyone from doing the same thing and taking it one step further like in this case.

I've been toying with the idea of doing this with Newznab for a while now... newznab "sites" are also popping up all around the web.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

You can set up your own indexer with spare PCs in your basement now. There was nothing stopping anyone from doing the same thing and taking it one step further like in this case.

[sarcasam]No, say it's not so![/sarcasm]

I've been making this same point lately but it seems to fallen on deaf ears...

sfl0w
join:2010-07-20
Birmingham, AL

sfl0w to richieemason

to richieemason
I wish people would stop mentioning that guy and linking to his site, your just adding to the problem, if you find a new alternative, keep your mouth shut.
sandman_1

sandman_1 to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by swintec:

You can set up your own indexer with spare PCs in your basement now. There was nothing stopping anyone from doing the same thing and taking it one step further like in this case.

Most people are too lazy to do that believe it or not. They want someone else to do it for them and don't mind paying for it.

I for one am looking into it right at the moment and appreciate community input and suggestions such as yours.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

said by sandman_1:

said by darcilicious:

said by swintec:

Most people are too lazy to do that believe it or not. They want someone else to do it for them and don't mind paying for it.

I for one am looking into it right at the moment and appreciate community input and suggestions such as yours.

I've contemplated this, but I don't see the advantage over:

1. Using raw search

or

2. Downloading headers for groups of interest

What am I missing? What advantage would I gain from setting up my own private indexer versus using raw search or downloading all headers ----(isn't this what my private indexer would do?)

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

1 recommendation

Exodus

Premium Member

None. None at all.

Too much hand holding on this forum and elsewhere on the Internet has spoiled enough fun for people as is.

People won't even do basic research before asking anymore.
knarf829

1 edit

knarf829

said by Exodus:

None. None at all.

Too much hand holding on this forum and elsewhere on the Internet has spoiled enough fun for people as is.

People won't even do basic research before asking anymore.

Sort of like this, you mean?
said by Exodus:

I remember seeing a post somewhere about some software that was developed that allowed you to set up file-sharing with your friends.

Is anyone familiar with it? I would like to set up some file-sharing amongst my friends.

You could have just said "I don't know." Or not responded, since I wasn't talking to you anyway.

Asking is "basic research."

You should do a little "basic research" into the incorrectly attributed quote in your sig.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

You see, I also contribute quite a hefty sum of information to this website as well as this forum and there are a slew of people that I helped set up in private, so I don't feel bad when I occasionally ask people about their own setups.

»My Setup

The situation we have today is that information is spelled out so simpy (to which, I contributed to) that people that we don't want involved are now involved and are shutting the process down.

Because of this, those of us who aren't cut off do not want to be penalized any further by helping others out.

We have to be purposely crass with people so that we don't hurt our own setups any further. That is the way it has been for the last twenty years. Eventually, the process gets simplified and publicized and then it gets shut down.
knarf829

knarf829

"It's different when I do it." Got it. Google can't find your questions in the forum.

Uh, ok. Sorry my innocuous question about my own private computer this morning ruined your personal Usenet last week. My bad.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

1 recommendation

Exodus

Premium Member

Apology accepted.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

The situation we have today is that information is spelled out so simpy (to which, I contributed to) that people that we don't want involved are now involved and are shutting the process down.

Because of this, those of us who aren't cut off do not want to be penalized any further by helping others out.

I'd disagree, it's one thing to help someone setup a usenet client, and another to tell them where to get content.

The issue I have with some of the sites getting shut down right now, is that they provide direct access to content when they may or may not have the rights to do so, making them (and us) a heat score.

Helping isn't the problem here.
sandman_1

sandman_1

+1 Exactly

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to sandman_1

Premium Member

to sandman_1
said by sandman_1:

said by darcilicious:

said by swintec:

I'm not talking about "most people"; I'm talking about the folks that want to squash Usenet. I quoted specifically:

There was nothing stopping anyone from doing the same thing and taking it one step further like in this case.

sandman_1

sandman_1

Oh excuse me, my apologies...

Martinus
Premium Member
join:2001-08-06
EU

Martinus to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

You can set up your own indexer with spare PCs in your basement now.

This is really good stuff for a thread of its own.

Setting up Newznab on Windows or Linux.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Martinus:

said by swintec:

You can set up your own indexer with spare PCs in your basement now.

This is really good stuff for a thread of its own.

Setting up Newznab on Windows or Linux.

I think we got two trains of thought going on here:

One is how to run your own indexer, and the other is copyright enforcement is using Newznab to find NZBs and issue takedown notices.

Sorry for contributing to the confusion.

Martinus
Premium Member
EU

Martinus

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

I think we got two trains of thought going on here:

One is how to run your own indexer, and the other is copyright enforcement is using Newznab to find NZBs and issue takedown notices.

Sorry for contributing to the confusion.

Agree.

Right now, I believe, the interesting thing is point one: How to set up your own indexer for private use.

About point two, as regrettable as it is, I don't think there's much anyone can do about it.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

I don't understand how setting up your own private indexer helps. If everyone (including the Usenet squashers) are indexing basically the same content, and the squashers send out the DMCA complaints to remove the *posts* (and those requests are honored), how does having your own indexer help? I must be missing something...?

Martinus
Premium Member
EU

1 recommendation

Martinus

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

I don't understand how setting up your own private indexer helps. If everyone (including the Usenet squashers) are indexing basically the same content, and the squashers send out the DMCA complaints to remove the *posts* (and those requests are honored), how does having your own indexer help? I must be missing something...?

I agree with you but as I said in my previous post, you can't do anything about it - other than getting the nzbs as soon as they are posted.

Regarding my question about setting up your own indexer, if you take a look at most of the new nzb sites around, they are just a front end for Newznab. Get the indexer working, throw in some cool css and javascript and you are up and running - of course you'd need a kind of registration forms, forums and some SQL back end to handle your users if you want to make it public - or by invite only.

But let's say you set up your own indexer in a spare PC in your basement. You wouldn't really need nzb.su or the other flavors of nzb sites around that rely only on automated indexes and not on user generated content as was the case of Newzbin.

But may be I've gotten it wrong. I just read about Newznab this morning.
posthaste
join:2001-05-20
Champaign, IL

posthaste to richieemason

to richieemason
There's always dcc bots to fall back on.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to Martinus

Premium Member

to Martinus
said by Martinus:

said by darcilicious:

I agree with you but as I said in my previous post, you can't do anything about it - other than getting the nzbs as soon as they are posted.

Right. Somehow I was getting the impression that folks thought that having their own indexer would be some kind of way around the DMCA issue.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to posthaste

Premium Member

to posthaste
said by posthaste:

There's always dcc bots to fall back on.

That shit never worked right for me in the 90's.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Right. Somehow I was getting the impression that folks thought that having their own indexer would be some kind of way around the DMCA issue.

The reason I was investigating was that I figured by querying the servers directly, I could access content faster than by using binsearch. I wish I has already tested this theory so I could confirm (or deny) this.

Cheers,
EQ
posthaste
join:2001-05-20
Champaign, IL

1 edit

posthaste to Exodus

to Exodus
Yeah, I was being a bit facetious with that comment. It does seems like we're all being forced back to '90s (aka Internet stone age).

IRC is still a time-consuming, convoluted pain in the ass just as it was then. That's why it will never be conquered or tamed by "The Man."

I forsee more and more Usenet binaries being uploaded with nonsense cryptic file names. Not only will someone have to download headers, you'll also have to just download EVERYTHING in a particular group and decode/extract the shit to find out what it is.

Raw searches then become useless.
sandman_1

sandman_1 to darcilicious

to darcilicious
The DMCAs being issued were because of the indexing sites like Matrix. The algorithm that the copyright trolls are using is nothing more than a glorified spam filter. In other words, they were using these indexing sites to do their work for them. If they didn't have "public" sites to work off of, I guarantee you that the DMCA notices would drastically reduce on their own.
said by El Quintron:

said by darcilicious:

The reason I was investigating was that I figured by querying the servers directly, I could access content faster than by using binsearch. I wish I has already tested this theory so I could confirm (or deny) this.

Cheers,
EQ

That is my train of thought also.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

Are you running on your home internet connection? It is going to be a bandwidth intensive application especially if you expect to stay on top of sites like binsearch and want to index more than a few groups. Essentially Newsnab logs in every X number of minutes to grab updated headers for your pre-specified group(s). Set the number of minutes to low and you will end up with a huge backlog as newsnab tries to catch up since it may not have completed the previous update(s) especially on high traffic groups. Set it to high..and you might as well just stick with Binsearch as there machines will download and process faster than your home based connection will be able too.

I think 2-5 groups for your own personal indexer is doable.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to richieemason

Premium Member

to richieemason
nope it's fine will be a little bit harder to find stuff now and take a little bit more time. it will change again in a few months will be better or worse.