spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Korpers

join:2012-12-07

[hard drive] Helping a friend.

Ok, so I told a friend how helpful this forum was for me, and he too is having similar issues with blue screening. I have posted his minidump file for him in the hope that someone can have a look and so we can see that it is probably just an old hard drive playing up again.

Could someone please have a quick gander at the attached?

Thanks again.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit
Please back up the data before continuing.....

Seems to show a winsock driver and the kernel.

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x1000007e ffffffff`c0000005 fffff800`031aa908 fffff880`03576d88 fffff880`035765e0 afd.sys afd.sys+17ce x64 ntoskrnl.exe+352908

»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···423ec014

quote:
BCCode: 7E 0x0000007E which is also 0x1000007E

Cause
The SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check is a very common bug check.
To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include the following:
0x80000002: STATUS_DATATYPE_MISALIGNMENT indicates an unaligned data reference was encountered.
0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT indicates a breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system.
0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred.

Resolving the Problem:

If you are not equipped to debug this problem, you should use some basic troubleshooting techniques.
Make sure you have enough disk space.
If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.
Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.
Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
It could be network or ethernet related - afd.sys and ntoskrnl.exe, software or hardware.

Try scanning afd.sys at VirusTotal.
»www.virustotal.com/

Then looking at updating the ethernet drivers from the motherboard site. They would be a good starting point and also it wouldn't hurt to report back if the video card driver had an update at Ati or nVidia.
I don't think at this stage you need to run memory (ram) tests but it could become an option long term if the bug stays or even a bios update, the support and/or downloads pages for the motherboard would be a good place to start, but one step at a time.

It wouldn't hurt to run a file check either:
»www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15···ker.html

*Just back up first before starting*
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke