how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jnilson

join:2012-12-10
Stamford, CT

hooking up OTA antenna to feed whole house

I currently have a Comcast coax line coming into my house with TV/internet feeding all my TVs and my cable modem. I want to cancel my Comcast TV subscription and just have Comcast Internet coming in on that line.
My question is can I split the line(2 to 1) before it enters the house and add a OTA digital antenna to one side of the splitter and still have Comcast on the other side at the same time? I am hoping to have The OTA antenna feed all my TVs like comcast did and only have Comcast coming in for my cable modem.

Thanks

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

Do not do that!

Keep the Comcast connection completely independent from an OTA connection. Mixing them will cause problems on both sides.

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

What you can do is have Comcast run a line straight to your modem from outside. Then you can use the lines going to the TV for your OTA antenna. Be sure to have Comcast do that first, that way you won't run into any problems or extra charges in the future.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to jnilson

If your lines are home run, replace the splitter with a barrel connector so that the incoming comcast line is patched straight through to the line that goes to where your modem is.

Then your other now disconnected cables can all be tied together with a splitter that is completely separate.

If you would try to mix the two, the antenna would pick up so much noise that your internet would not work. Also the noise would backfill into the Comcast system and could disrupt your neighbors. Additionally Comcast signal could find its way out your antenna and create a huge cable leak. It would be found by Comcast techs running egress and they can disconnect your service at the tap when they find the point if ingress and egress is coming from your house.

jnilson

join:2012-12-10
Stamford, CT
reply to jnilson

Thanks for your replies.

I heard that Comcast will be encrypting all channels and every TV will soon require a cable box to receive any channels. So will I still be able to receive channels OTA with a digital antenna in the future? or will encryption disrupt this?

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

This is true all cable companies will be going to an all digital platform in early 2013 I believe, thus the need for a digital box on each TV in your home. If you use a digital antenna then you will be able to get whatever channels can be picked up OTA in your area.

Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

»transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

This link should help you find what's in your area.