spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28

"You Have Absolutely No Privacy" - DUH!

DUH! I've never understood why anyone would expect privacy over a public network. I guess I assume there is no privacy because I remember a time when there was none on the interwebs.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for

"What he's again confirming here is that major carriers have embedded hardware"

Thanks for pointing out that the big boys are doing this and not every ISP.

AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

jc10098

join:2002-04-10
Privacy is an illusion since Bush came in to office. The playing field has not only been level, it's been sodded, stripped, and painted. Bush opened Pandroa's box, and once politicians saw the powers given, none were willing to turn back.

Obama gave the NSA wiretapping program a blanket immunity. Did anyone expect him to reverse course of Bush's 9/11 Fearism tactics? Of course not. Once you give up rights, they are almost always gone or very hard to reclaim. Now, we're only going to see things get MUCH MUCH WORSE.

The media is too lackluster to care. Most of these giants own or are apart of the same establishments profiteering off the government spying efforts.

Et Al.

Time Warner
Cox
etc

battleop

join:2005-09-28
Privacy was an illusion before Bush came into office. It was during Bush's term that it became common knowledge
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
reply to jc10098
said by jc10098:

Obama gave the NSA wiretapping program a blanket immunity.

No, the bill passed by Congress, signed by 2 presidents, and upheld by the courts, gave immunity for civil lawsuits to corporations who legally cooperated with the other provisions of the bill. There is no immunity to unlawful acts by corporations or the government.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
reply to jc10098
said by jc10098:

Privacy is an illusion since Bush came in to office.

Which Bush? I always get confused when people say "It's Bush's fault" because I'm older and remember there were two Bushes. One of them was part of the beginning of the Information Superhighway.

I think it's this guy's fault:

Li Ka-shing:
New Ruler of the Information Superhighway

Global Crossing, Enron's evil twin, is about to be "rescued" by a Chinese billionaire with ties to the People's Liberation Army.
Why not? He already controls the Panama Canal. Will it threaten national security to have a Chinese company controlling the fiber-optic network our defense department uses to communicate and store data?
That's something we should be asking.

--
Another 4 years of Hope and Change.
The rich will still get richer and the poor get an Obamaphone and Food Stamps. lol

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to MyDogHsFleas
Again with the splitting of hairs. The Telcos were given blanket immunity from CIVIL LAWSUITS regarding the formerly ILLEGAL actions of the Corporations and Government.

In effect complete immunity as a citizen cannot bring criminal charges vs anyone--- only a civil case.

End result: Everyone got away with it.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
said by KrK:

Again with the splitting of hairs. The Telcos were given blanket immunity from CIVIL LAWSUITS regarding the formerly ILLEGAL actions of the Corporations and Government.

In effect complete immunity as a citizen cannot bring criminal charges vs anyone--- only a civil case.

End result: Everyone got away with it.

Almost correct. The actions were not "formerly illegal". They were legal, by definition. The 3 branches of government decide what is legal. Bill passed by congress, signed by 2 presidents, upheld by courts.

As a citizen you cannot bring criminal charges, correct. No matter how strongly you believe something is illegal, it's not your call. Except indirectly, by voting for your representatives. That's fundamental to our justice system. It's not "splitting hairs". How would you like it if some random guy could haul you into criminal court for whatever?

Unfortunately IMO there are many who hold that the "death by 1000 lawsuits" tactic is righteous when they believe their cause is just. I find it a shockingly inefficient way for a minority to try to impose its will.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
said by MyDogHsFleas:

Almost correct. The actions were not "formerly illegal". They were legal, by definition. The 3 branches of government decide what is legal. Bill passed by congress, signed by 2 presidents, upheld by courts.

*Retroactively after the deeds were done*

Formerly illegal. Now, legal...
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini