spc
Search similar:

uniqs

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

So then encryption means nothing?

While I believe they are capturing some data, capturing it all is a bit far fetched. The sheer amount of data running across the wires these days is HUGE, ridiculously massive. Even the Federal government with all its resources just doesn't have the storage capacity to store it all. They would need tractor trailers full of disc drives daily to keep up with the volume of both encrypted and non-encrypted data flowing daily across the US alone.

I would also wonder about the state of encrypted data. Can it really be decoded so simply? Does Google et. al. just let government entities just capture and decode their encrypted data? Sorry, but call me skeptical of these claims and allegations.

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul

They capture all the data. Their current issue is storage. They can only keep the data for a certain period of time before they have to flush it due to storage constraints. That's the point of the new facility, to be able to keep the data for longer.

The idea was in the past if they needed a wire tap they would go to a judge to issue one, and once issued from that point forward they could listen in. Now, they have access to all the history too.
Killersaurus
join:2012-09-17

Killersaurus to danclan

to danclan
said by danclan:

Does Google et. al. just let government entities just capture and decode their encrypted data? Sorry, but call me skeptical of these claims and allegations.

Ask youself how the FBI got access to General Petraeus' gmail account so quickly and easily. Nope, no collaboration there between Goog and the feds.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to danclan

to danclan
I imagine they can filter and compress the amount of data down quite a bit since most of it is redundant or obviously irrelevant. "Persons of interest" or persons who match certain patterns can be targeted for the most intensive data gathering, and corporations would cooperate willingly, though they probably don't need to be asked

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko to danclan

Premium Member

to danclan
Of course they do. Now end-to-end encryption (where the carrier has no access to the key) is different, and probably much more secure.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to danclan

to danclan
Google email isn't encrypted. It is unencrypted despite using encryption transport technologies like SSL. Unless you and your communication partner both use encryption systems and techniques, everything is clearly available for the government to view provided they fill out the proper forms, pay the processing fee, etc. Google isn't alone in this sense. All providers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Comcast, etc.) will give the authorities access to your information stored on their systems if requested by a law enforcement agency and the proper steps are followed.

Privacy is an illusion unless you create your own privacy.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to danclan

Premium Member

to danclan
quote:
Does Google et. al. just let government entities just capture and decode their encrypted data? Sorry, but call me skeptical of these claims and allegations.

Back doors are built into these programs and the key is given to the feds. No hacking needed. The fed enters the "master key' and everything is easy to read.
momus_98
join:2002-09-10
united state
·Google Fiber

momus_98 to Killersaurus

to Killersaurus
said by Killersaurus:

Ask youself how the FBI got access to General Petraeus' gmail account so quickly and easily. Nope, no collaboration there between Goog and the feds.

Gen. Petraeus was the director of the CIA and held other high level positions. Not really the best example as he'd certainly be under far more scrutiny than the average citizen.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

He was still using the same email service as us non-CIA directors. So the government can get your email if they want it, you're just hoping they don't want yours.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to danclan

to danclan

quote:
So then encryption means nothing?
I dont see how they can read that,and THIS!!! (this message) on demand like that........