Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

Comcast Says X1 Box Distribution Limitations Are Temporary, Isolated
MSO Says It’s Looking To Boost Supply As It Continues to Manage Inventory In High-Demand Markets

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - October 11, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· d/146032

FYI - Karl has posted a follow-up article on the X1 box shortage: »Source: Pace Set Top Issues to Blame for Comcast X1 Shortage [18] comments
quote:
A source familiar with Comcast's set top upgrade plans has given me a little more detail on what's causing the backlog ... "The X1 hardware was manufactured by two companies, Motorola and Pace," notes the source. "Pace's equipment has not been passing QC tests, and that has created a massive shortage (in some areas)," they say. "We actually stopped issuing X1 altogether, and we stopped all media advertising."

An article on the MCN site today with the latest update on all this:

Pace Denies Quality Control Issues Are Source of X1 Box Shortages
Vendor Claims It Is Ramping Up Production To Keep Up With Demand

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - October 23, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· s/146239

EDIT: Note that at the end of the article it has an update on the status of the ARRIS-made XG1s:
quote:
Comcast’s sourcing of X1/RDK boxes appears to be poised for expansion. On Tuesday at the SCTE Cable Tec-Expo in Atlanta, Arris officials said during a briefing with analysts and reporters that the company is manufacturing RDK-based boxes now and expects to launch them in the fourth quarter of 2013.
LoveHD
join:2011-07-31
Detroit, MI

LoveHD to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
Same old Comcast.
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
I have it on good authority that in they aren't doing X-1s right now because of inventory and quality issues.

YMMV, but that is from a mid-atlantic call center.
joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

i got my X1 DVR after the shortages started so I don't know how the can do that. i believe you just have to request it like I did, but you have to setup the appointment as a swop out of DVR or an upgrade to a newer DVR. Then when you have the appointment time and such set, wait a few hours. then chat with them and tell them to put on the appointment notes "needs Pace XG1 DVR and will not accept any other DVR." but you need to chat with somebody else to verify the appointment notes to see if they entered it in right. That is how get the x1 dvr and i did not have to upgrade any of my services to in order to get it.
joejoejeo

joejoejeo

Just an update about my experience with x1.
1. I don't have any problems recording any of my shows like some people have reported.

2. I like that I don't have to have a day or so after the box starts up to get all the guide data displayed.

3. I like that the x1 DVR/X1 UI does not lag when I switch channels like I used to have sometimes with my DCX3501.

4. The X1 DVR takes longer to startup and display the TV signal but when it does load it takes less time for all of the features of the X1 to load. On iGuide A30 it takes a minute for TV signal to load, which is less then x1 takes, but then iGuide A30 loads and displays a black box until you hit exit on the remote. Then you could not access any of the guide features except for the setup menu unless you had the remote that has my DVR on it. That would last about 20-30 minutes, and while that was going on iGuide A30 would load more and that would cause iGuide A30 to flicker for a second. Sometimes that happens more than once. The X1 DVR does not do that, it loads everything in about 5 minutes instead of about 1-2 days.

5. The only major bug I have is that sometimes when I'm in the menus or fast forwarding/rewinding a show sometimes it lags or freezes, but the TV channel/DVR recording does not stop playing or freeze.

6. Another bug but not a major bug is that recording light stays on after I have recorded something but it goes away with in 12 hours or so because sometimes when I go to bed the recording light is still on though it is not recording anything but when I wake up the recording light is not on anymore.

7. Another bug that I have but does not bug me is that the backlight for the time and power do not stay at the level I have set for them, which is at a 5 brightness level, for more than a day then they revert back to both 2 brightness level.

And over all the X1 DVR is a dramatic improvement over the iGuide A30.

wolf
@74.121.100.x

wolf

Anon

Ditto on all of that (although I don't play with the brightness settings). They seem to have fixed the (major) bug with the resolution setting changing from 1080p to 720p after every restart, I haven't had this issue now for several weeks. Also the guide hasn't locked up on me recently like it occasionally would before & you had to restart the box. Both one-time & series recordings are working fine & the guide response is pretty good, not too laggy. The satellite box is still slower to respond but not so bad as to be a real problem.

falcor
@comcast.net

falcor

Anon

I NEED the button to go forward a day...this searching for stuff is killing me

Being able to go 1,2,3 7 days forward with one button is a key feature and needs to come back
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

CNET just did a write-up on dealing with the lack of Day buttons on the X1 system.

»howto.cnet.com/8301-1131 ··· nity-x1/

I haven't heard people talk about using the mini-guide to skip around before:
quote:
For our purposes here, launch the mini-guide. Find the channel you are interested in from the mini-guide and with it highlighted, press the right-arrow key to view the upcoming shows on that channel. Because the shows are laid out vertically in this view, you can use the page-up and page-down buttons to jump ahead and backward in time in bigger blocks than you can by arrowing left and right on a channel in the full-screen guide. Each press of the page-down button moves you ahead anywhere between three and six hours, depending on a channel's programming.

falcor
@comcast.net

falcor

Anon

Thank you so much for that...not ideal but definitely helps

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

An article on the MCN site today with the latest update on all this:

Pace Denies Quality Control Issues Are Source of X1 Box Shortages
Vendor Claims It Is Ramping Up Production To Keep Up With Demand

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - October 23, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· s/146239

EDIT: Note that at the end of the article it has an update on the status of the ARRIS-made XG1s:

quote:
Comcast’s sourcing of X1/RDK boxes appears to be poised for expansion. On Tuesday at the SCTE Cable Tec-Expo in Atlanta, Arris officials said during a briefing with analysts and reporters that the company is manufacturing RDK-based boxes now and expects to launch them in the fourth quarter of 2013.

An article on the Light Reading site today with a little more info on the soon-to-be-launched ARRIS X1 boxes:

Arris RDK Boxes Coming Soon
By Mari Silbey, Light Reading - October 24, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/cab ··· d/706243
quote:
With the set-tops now rolling off the assembly lines, Arris plans to ship its first RDK-enabled cable boxes before the end of the year.

Speaking at a roundtable event for reporters and analysts at the SCTE's Cable-Tec Expo show here, Kevin Keefe, senior vice president and general manager of Arris Group Inc., said that the company's new Reference Design Kit (RDK) hardware is in "manufacturing as we speak."

SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

It's pretty much Q4 right now, I hope they really do get them out into the field. I'm very interested to see how the Moto hardware does for reliability, speed, etc. compared to the Pace.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

some people on Comcast's forums are indicating that there are new versions of the x1 software. Some have said that the build number has not changed by the XRE Server Version: changed from 1.32.04 to 1.32.06 but build stayed at 4915. others are indicating that their box's x1 software build changed to Build 4922 with XRE Server Version 1.34.03.
Link is here: »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· 5/page/3

if anybody would like to reply telling us if their box's X1 software was updated that would be great.
And if somebody knows what the changes are to this version please let us know as well
joejoejeo

1 edit

joejoejeo

The X1 DVR I have is still on build 4915 with XRE Server Version 1.32.05. Even if I check manually for updates the box says it is up to date
mountainman9
join:2013-03-28
Broomfield, CO

mountainman9 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
Mine is showing XRE Server Version 1.32.06 Build 4915.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

1 edit

joejoejeo

comcast told me the features and specs of the Arris XG1 and Xi3

and here they are
The Arris XG1 video gateway provides five tuners that allow you to watch a live program and/or record up to four HDTV programs simultaneously throughout your home. The Arris XG1 also allows connected devices in other rooms to schedule, delete and playback recordings that are stored on the XG1 internal 500GB hard drive, which can store up to 60 hours of HDTV programming.
5 Tuners (1-Live / 4-Recording)
HUB to the RNG150N
Companion device Player to the Xi3 Mini-Player
Support network communication with the PACE XG1
XR2 Remote Control Provided with Box
Compatible with the X1 Remote App

These are the features of the Xi3 :
Compatible with X1 DVR (with multi-room functionality), X1 DVR (with cloud functionality) and with RNG150 devices.
Xi3 set-top boxes can be used for up to three additional outlets (additional outlets will need use RNG150s)
Faster access to the X1 Platform Guide and supports all features such as: 16x9 high-definition display, poster art for richer presentation, sharper text and graphics, improved navigation, filtering and sorting of content and titles, more robust search and browse functions, favorites and Self Help functionality.
Available with professional installation and self-installation (front counter and direct ship). Install process is the same for both. Includes an XR5 remote control

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by joejoejeo:

comcast told me the features and specs of the Arris XG1 and Xi3

and here they are
:
:
These are the features of the Xi3 :
:
:
Includes an XR5 remote control

That's strange, at this year's Cable Show, Comcast showed off a different, new remote for use with the Xi3 box: »Re: [X1] The New X2 - The "Evolution" of the X1

The XR5 remote is just a slightly-enhanced version of the XR2: »New XR5 RF/IR Remote now available

Maybe the production model of the new Xi3 remote won't be available in time for the Xi3's initial release?
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

They will provide the xr5 remote because the xi3 remote benefits from x2 guide which is not havalible yet

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by joejoejeo:

They will provide the xr5 remote because the xi3 remote benefits from x2 guide which is not available yet

Still seems strange to me that just because a few features/functions on the Xi3 remote won't work until X2 is available (which is supposed to be within a few months from now) that it will not be initially provided with the Xi3 boxes (which themselves are only fully functional with X2).

So instead, Comcast is going to have all the early Xi3 users later exchange their XR5 remotes for a new Xi3 one once they get X2?
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo to mountainman9

to mountainman9
somebody on the comcast forums link here: »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· 5/page/4

there is a newer version which is 1.34.06 build 4928

and RickGr4 said, "After installing 4928 earlier this evening my X1 has never worked better. This evening I have been recording, watching live TV, flipping channels and watching recordings. My X1 seems crisper, faster and more responsive."
joejoejeo

1 edit

joejoejeo

today my x1 dvr updated firmware the version is now:
Receiver: Native Version 1.3.0
STB Timestamp: Mon Oct 21 20:38:03 UTC 2013
STB version PX001AN_1.3p1s2_PRODsd

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

FYI - The latest X1 and X2 status/news from Comcast's quarterly earnings call this morning:
quote:
Comcast has deployed X1 on 90 percent of its footprint. "You will see us accelerate the pace of deployment to the customer," CEO Brian Roberts said on the earnings call, adding that Comcast will add new features and apps with the rollout of its X2 product. X2 is scheduled to be deployed by the end of 2013, and Comcast said it will step up marketing efforts for X2 in early 2014.
Extracted from:

Smit: Comcast could grow Xfinity footprint by licensing X1 to fellow cable MSOs
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - October 30, 2013
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 13-10-30
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

when i was chatting with a comcast cable serpervisor they told me to go to the settings menu, then click on device settings, then scroll down to device restart and then click the right arrow on your remote then hit ok on your remote and then it will restart that worked for me but if that does not work they told me they can send a download software flag to the box that will download the x1 software on restart of the device by the method i mentioned before in this post. it will download the x1 software even if you have the same version installed already
joejoejeo

1 edit

joejoejeo

the person also told me there is an easy way to get x2 but i dont have it here is how you get it apparently:
go to the settings menu, choose "Preferences', then click OK then navigate to "Version of x1 platform", there will be a prompt that will ask you if you would like to change to X2

update: the comcast cable supervisor just told me that it is the way comcast employees change to the x2 guide not comcast customers

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

2 edits

SeattleMatt to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

New Firmware Today

Noticed my X1 DVR received updates today:

Server Firmware 1.34.05 (Build 4928)
STB Firmware-
Dated: October 21, 2013 (previous was 9/11)
Build: 1.3p1s2

** The "Made in Philadelphia w/ LOVE" message is now on the bottom of the screen**

Also, my 2 HD boxes received a STB Firmware update today (fairly recent build):

Dated: October 23, 2013 (previous was 8/29)
Build: 1.3p1s1

However, they're still on the previous Server Firmware (Build 4915).

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by SeattleMatt:

Noticed my X1 DVR received updates today:

Server Firmware 1.34.05 (Build 4928)
STB Firmware-
Dated: October 21, 2013 (previous was 9/11)
Build: 1.3p1s2

** The "Made in Philadelphia w/ LOVE" message is now on the bottom of the screen**

Please let us know what other changes/improvements you find with Build 4928, as there are reports on the Comcast Support forum that this DVR update fixes some lost recording issues and makes the system seem more responsive: »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· /1897833
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

somebody from comcast today told me about a sign up form to let you know when x1 is going to be available again in your area the link is here »www.comcast.com/x1comingsoon

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
2 HD boxes now also on Build 4928. No issues so far.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

All of a sudden I can not set any recordings on 1 of my X1 boxes

Hitting the record button also does not work!

Does any one happen to have the direct phone number for Comcast X1 tech support?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by gate1975mlm:

Does any one happen to have the direct phone number for Comcast X1 tech support?

The number for X1 Support is: 1-877-896-8678

BigBearsFan
join:2009-08-01
Galesburg, IL

BigBearsFan to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: New Firmware Today

I don't know if it is new or I just hadn't noticed but when I hit the info button now it goes to split screen with the programming info on the right and if you hit info again it moves the program info to the left and puts the tv show in a small box in the upper right hand corner. You have to use the directional arrow to move back to full screen.Continuing to hit info button just flips things back and forth.Guide however is real fluid and it takes a lot to freeze it up,hold the page up or down button rapidly moves guide but upon release it quickly catches up and fills in programming.My box has not reverted back as of yet .