Pretty sure they're referring to the "NBC Sports Live Extra" app:
»www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/···20140127

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2

Yes sir! NBC Sports Live Extra is the official name..
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN
reply to joejoejeo

they told about the app is that, "With an XFINITY TV package that includes CNBC and MSNBC, a valid Comcast ID and password, subscribers will have access to exclusive online Olympics HD content as well as NBCUniversal's streaming, live coverage of all 98 Sochi Olympics events (February 3-24, 2014) at NBCOlympics.com or through mobile devices with the NBC Sports Live Extra app."

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN

also they sent me to this news article witch explains the app and how it will work. »xfinity.comcast.net/articles/new···s.Online

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN

also I can confirm that the x2 preview guide remote code still works with the 1/29/2014 guide version and Comcast does not know why it is still there or if it is suppose to be there why is it still enabled in the consumer version of that build

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to JeepMatt

Re: "New" X2 is Live

I have the same Server Version this morning, but a different STB Version
--
- Bill

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
reply to JeepMatt

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

yes i have them i exactly have i have the winter Olympics and the NBC sports live extra apps on my X1 box as of this afternoon

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

As I posted in the other thread-

Live Extra app is now ONLY on the DVR - and only is for Olympic sports. Really thought they would've just added the app and allowed us to watch the Premier League Extra Time channels since they can't be bothered to add them.

Meh. Just another letdown.

However - this did just trigger another lightbulb. So - it looks as though they can only "stream" IP based feeds to the DVR (most likely due to it having the extra modem internally). So hmmmm....Down, the road - if they were to introduce IP only channels - it looks like you would indeed need the newer boxes if you had HD-only boxes on your other sets. So, this lends more to needing the Xi3 boxes since they'll be fed as an IP stream right from the DVR.

CaptainVidJW

join:2003-08-30
Houston, TX
reply to gate1975mlm

X2 Update

Click for full size
Settings, Preferences, Guide Version

X2, no thank you. I hated the preview :/

MTBikerChris
Premium
join:2001-08-28
Broomfield, CO
reply to gate1975mlm

Yup got the update last night here in Denver ! I Looked b4 I went to bed and it said Preview still !

MTBikerChris
Premium
Broomfield, CO
reply to gate1975mlm

Anyone have a pic of the TV App ? I am not seeing any Olympic app here !

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

1 recommendation

Chris-
It was there when I got home from work around 5pm last night - and then was gone about 30 minutes later - and has never come back.
--

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to CaptainVidJW

Re: X2 Update

said by CaptainVidJW:

Settings, Preferences, Guide Version

X2, no thank you. I hated the preview :/

FYI: you'll eventually get the update anyway, down the road it will be a mandatory update.

MTBikerChris
Premium
Broomfield, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gate1975mlm

»corporate.comcast.com/comcast-vo···r-before

Umm where is the App for X1 Comcast?

gustavenla68

join:2011-02-24
Carlisle, PA

Does any one recall how long the x1 install will take. I will have 1 dvr box and 1 other box. Each box is on their own line with one main splitter.

fromebnj

join:2013-11-11

I had 1 dvr and 3 hd boxes. It took 90 minutes at most. All my cables where live so he just needed to hook up and provision the the hardware.

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN
reply to gate1975mlm

How many days out in the guide do you get with the X1?
I get 10 days (in the past I would get 14) with my Motorola DCX 3501.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

14 days.

MTBikerChris
Premium
Broomfield, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gate1975mlm

Click for full size
Click for full size
The App showed up last night ! And a new line on demand as well !

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to gate1975mlm

I noticed that all On Demand shows no longer display when the program originally aired

Why would Comcast take this helpful info away?

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO

said by gate1975mlm:

Why would Comcast take this helpful info away?

Because Comcast does a poor job of giving people what they want—and cut costs wherever possible. Every time I watch television from a competing provider I’m always amazed with how intuitive and useful their services are. Lack of competition sucks.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to gate1975mlm

4K U-HDTV upgrade for X1 boxes coming later this year

I wonder if this is a future software upgrade Comcast is talking about, and not a hardware one?

quote:
Consumer-electronics makers are champing at the bit to make 4K the next big thing. A rash of new Ultra HD televisions cropped up at the 2014 International CES, in tandem with new content-delivery pacts for 4K content to feed into those sets. Among those were Comcast, NBCU’s parent, which announced plans to roll out an app for Xfinity TV Samsung 4K TVs later this year that will provide access to on-demand 4K movies and TV shows (»variety.com/2014/digital/news/sa···01032029).

But neither Comcast or any other pay-TV distributor will be carrying these Winter Olympics in 4K. The satellite links needed to transport live TV don’t support 4K formats, while set-top boxes in the field don’t either. Comcast says it will upgrade its next-generation X1 boxes later in 2014 for 4K.
From the that other Variety article »variety.com/2014/digital/news/sa···01032029 :
quote:
Later this year, according to Comcast, its X1 set-top boxes will deliver 4K UHD content to all UHD-capable televisions.

EDIT: I thought this might be done by using a Xfinity 4K TV streaming app, but found this in an earlier MCN article that makes it sound like it will be a hardware enhancement (using/adding a HEVC/H.265 decoding-capable chipset):

quote:
Although Comcast will start to offer native 4K directly to Samsung smart TVs, Werner said the MSO is working on a next-generation of boxes for its X1 platform that use HEVC and can decode native 4K signals. He said those boxes should be available sometime later this year. Comcast’s current-generation boxes for X1 will be capable of delivering 1080p HD that can be upcoverted by Ultra HD sets.

fromebnj

join:2013-11-11
reply to gate1975mlm

I have all the new apps as well. Keep in minds the internet apps are only on the dvr as that has a built in modem.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

4 edits
reply to telcodad

Re: 4K U-HDTV upgrade for X1 boxes coming later this year

said by telcodad:

I wonder if this is a future software upgrade Comcast is talking about, and not a hardware one?

EDIT: I thought this might be done by using a Xfinity 4K TV streaming app, but found this in an earlier MCN article that makes it sound like it will be a hardware enhancement (using/adding a HEVC/H.265 decoding-capable chipset):

quote:
Although Comcast will start to offer native 4K directly to Samsung smart TVs, Werner said the MSO is working on a next-generation of boxes for its X1 platform that use HEVC and can decode native 4K signals. He said those boxes should be available sometime later this year. Comcast’s current-generation boxes for X1 will be capable of delivering 1080p HD that can be upcoverted by Ultra HD sets.

It's new hardware, notice the phrase is a "next-generation of boxes". We know what's in the current generation, and none of them can do H.265 (HEVC) decoding. This is also why the Comcast 4K streaming app will only work new 2014 TVs, because the first gen Ultra HD TVs didn't have HEVC decoding in them (the silicon necessary wasn't even finalized for most vendors until mid-to-late-2013).

So they will have to revise them with a newer version of the various SoC being used in them that support it. The current designs harken back to circa 2011, when Comcast was first putting together the core features and specifications for what would eventually be called X1.

I'd assume that with the RDK, and its industry vendors, it would be pretty easy to make a new revision of things with the latest SoC from vendors like Broadcom. Heck it's possible that newer Broadcom SoC's might even be pin compatible with the current ones, which would make it incredibly easy to revise the current designs.
Expand your moderator at work

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3
reply to telcodad

What Comcast's proposed acquisition of TWC would mean for X1

Comcast’s proposed acquisition of Time Warner Cable will result in further expansion and extension of the X1/RDK platform:

Comcast Outlines Tech ‘Playbook’ For TWC
Says All-Digital Upgrades, Faster Broadband Speeds, Expansion Of X1 Platform Will Be In Store

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - February 13, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···c/148288

I guess they’ll need to upgrade/expand their X1 “cloud” servers to handle all those additional X1 boxes.

Hope this won’t mean more X1 equipment shortages in the future again! Maybe some more companies will join Pace and ARRIS on making XG1 DVRs.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

said by telcodad:

Hope this won’t mean more X1 equipment shortages in the future again! Maybe some more companies will join Pace and ARRIS on making XG1 DVRs.

Yeah. I dunno where the heck Cisco is, they're an RDK licensee, and so is Samsung. So there are two more major vendors of cable boxes that could be contributing to the backstock of set-tops.

Cabby

join:2013-03-25

STILL waiting in Jacksonville for X1... yet another chat with Comcast Support reveals it as unavailable for new or existing customers.

MrJitters

join:2003-11-29
East Montpelier, VT
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

I guess they’ll need to upgrade/expand their X1 "cloud" servers to handle all those additional X1 boxes.

Comcast makes it sound like they are the proverbial knight in shining armor coming to the rescue of those poor technology backward TWC subscribers.

All the while, X1 still has many issues in many parts of the country, many more are still waiting years for their S26 SA/Cisco update. Oh, and for those of us that may ore may not see the cloud streaming service in their lifetime, TWC has this pretty extensively deployed already. From what I understand it works really neat too.

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···-tv.html

LOL!!

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by MrJitters:

Comcast makes it sound like they are the proverbial knight in shining armor coming to the rescue of those poor technology backward TWC subscribers.

Wait until the TWC customers lose 70 HD channels after the acquisition.
--