Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

yup
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

1 edit

rendrenner to Gerard1234

to Gerard1234
West side of Michigan is supposed to be a July 23rd launch date.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
can't believe every region around mine has x1 now or soon but still NO WORD on when the keystone region will get it.
tw1st
join:2013-07-18
Wood Ridge, NJ

tw1st to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
Alright! I am now on the x1 boxes!

Comcast tech just left my house, he did not have many nice things to say about the x1 boxes which is kind of scary for me...he mentioned how they didn't give them any training on how to set them up, and that they have lots of hangups and issues with them...ouch!

The main DVR he had did not work at all, he had his supervisor bring a replacement which worked fine. Then one of my companion boxes did not work, said he will come back later and bring a new one for me (lets hope he does...). He said that about 60% of the boxes do not work.... damn

So right off the bat, there are things I like and don't like...

Pros:

- The guide is great, love the look and HD feel of it.
- Everything seems fluent, and responds quickly.
- 1080p resolution now, nice? Also different refresh rates available? Cool
- Apps are a nice touch, can't wait to see more.
- Seeing the time and weather in the guide is great.
- On demand loads fast and looks good.
- 4 tuners is a big plus!
- The remote is light and easy to use.
- 500GB storage space is plenty for me, can always expand it...

Cons:

- Can't skip a day ahead in the guide
- Not possible to view a schedule by channel anymore? I was able to with my old box. Big let down here
- No switch tv input on remote (maybe colored buttons can be programed?)
- Switching channels is a little strange, when I start hitting numbers to change a channel the mini guide comes up with search results...thanks, but I know what channel I need, can't I just put in the number and hit enter anymore?
macnbc
join:2009-01-12
Arlington, VA

macnbc

said by tw1st:

- Not possible to view a schedule by channel anymore? I was able to with my old box. Big let down here

You can do this. From the "half" guide (not the fullscreen), if you click the right arrow on the channel you're interested in, it'll show the upcoming schedule for that channel.
said by tw1st:

- Switching channels is a little strange, when I start hitting numbers to change a channel the mini guide comes up with search results...thanks, but I know what channel I need, can't I just put in the number and hit enter anymore?

You can still do this too. After typing the channel number hit enter and it'll go to it. Just ignore the search results.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to tw1st

MVM

to tw1st
said by tw1st:

Alright! I am now on the x1 boxes!

Cons:

- Can't skip a day ahead in the guide

Thanks for sharing your "X1 Experience" with us.

As far as skipping forward by a day in the guide, it's one of the more popular feature requests: »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 1#M78921
tw1st
Wood Ridge, NJ

tw1st to macnbc

to macnbc
@macnbc

Thank you so much for the tip about showing upcoming programming for a channel. That was honestly the one thing bugging me the most!

@telcodad

Good to hear that so many people have requested this feature, I'm assuming it's only a matter of time now.
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

rendrenner to tw1st

to tw1st
Another Con is the loss of the swap feature. I would use this all the time on football Sundays. Red Zone on one tuner and Fox on the other. I could watch my game, then swap to Red Zone during commercials or time outs. Even when not watching sports I use swap more than I use the last button.
While this is not a deal breaker, I dont understand why the swap couldnt be kept. Maybe because there are too many tuners?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to tw1st

MVM

to tw1st
60% don't work? Wow. I wonder if it's because Pace made it. Seriously there's a joke with cable installers when they write what's wrong with a box they turn in, some of them wrote "It says pace on it". Needless to say warehouse didn't think it was funny and some had a slap on the wrist.
tw1st
Wood Ridge, NJ

1 edit

tw1st to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
So my tech came back, and now we are up and running. Had quite a few bumps with the boxes not initializing correctly, and then missing channels, swapping boxes...etc Ultimately he was able to resolve everything, and I'm all set on my end with everything working as it should *fingers crossed*

So there is some really great input in this thread and very helpful information as well.

Now, I know this isn't meant to be a support thread, but since it seems busy and lots of people know their stuff I figured I would ask anyway Maybe someone can shed some light on this topic...

Is there any sort of specific hard drive I need to use to be able to hook it up to the DVR for more space, or will any USB hard drive suffice? Also does it need to be formatted into NTFS/FAT/FAT32?

Another annoyance I noticed:

When setting up a series recording, if I search for a show through the search feature and then set it up to record the series it will not let me specify which channel to record it from. For example; I setup SNL to record series through the search, on my recording schedule it was going to record a "supposed new" episode of SNL from VH1 (it was not a new ep, but instead a rerun labeled as new. New eps are only on FOX). The only way I was able to find a way to setup a series recording by channel is to look at the programming for the actual channel, then find the show and then set it to record from within the guide, then it lets you select "record only from this channel" in the recording options.\

Another pro I noticed:

The picture quality! The PQ has been improved on our TV's. I'm coming from the Motorola DCX3400 box, and I always thought my picture was just a little bit off due of older cabling in my condo... Switching to the X1 box today made the picture a hell of a lot nicer to look at

So far I am pleased, and I'm sure the service will improve over time. Bugs and any annoyances will surely be fixed as the service moves forward and reaches more households, it is still a baby in many areas.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by tw1st:

Is there any sort of specific hard drive I need to use to be able to hook it up to the DVR for more space, or will any USB hard drive suffice? Also does it need to be formatted into NTFS/FAT/FAT32?

The external hard drives that are used as "DVR Extenders" connect via the eSATA port on the DVR and it's formatted automatically by the DVR: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· storage/

Unfortunately, if you need any more than the 500 GB of storage space that's contained in an X1 DVR, it will have come from the "cloud":

quote:
The external hard drives are not compatible with our X1 Platform devices; those DVRs (like some others that we already have deployed) currently have a 500GB hard drive. Those DVRs will also have the capability of cloud dvr storage

The X1 Experience is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity this year where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Again, the cloud DVR feature I described above is only expected to be available on our X1 Platform. New cable boxes and a professional installation are required for the X1 Experience. More information on the X1 Experience is available here: »www.comcast.com/x1

liliwings
@comcast.net

liliwings to gate1975mlm

Anon

to gate1975mlm
hi. I just got the new box today. The font is so small its hard to read it unless I am standing in front of it with my eyeglasses on. Does anyone know of a way to make the font bolder or easier to read?

I have an analog TV. The X1 is set to record default in HD. The person who installed it said default cannot be changed. I am hoping there is someone who who knows how the default can be changed.

I must say its a bit overwhelming. I called Comcast but no one knew answers to the questions. I am hoping there are people in the forums who have more familiarity with how to make the X1 a bit more user friendly. Thanks and good luck all !

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by liliwings :

hi. I just got the new box today. The font is so small its hard to read it unless I am standing in front of it with my eyeglasses on. Does anyone know of a way to make the font bolder or easier to read?

quote:
You can change the guide font size through: Settings -> Preferences -> General.

See Page 11 in the X1 User Guide: »x1.comcast.net/webportal ··· uide.pdf
shades
join:2001-06-26
Williamstown, NJ

shades to tw1st

to tw1st
so how the hell do you switch inputs ?? i would have to use my tv remote all the time?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

said by shades:

so how the hell do you switch inputs ?? i would have to use my tv remote all the time?

Yes.
lili12
join:2013-07-21

lili12 to telcodad

to telcodad
thanks telcodad. I appreciate the info !
shades
Williamstown, NJ

shades to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

said by shades:

Yes.

that is ridiculous, does this thing work with other universal remotes?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Can't say for sure. It's possible. I think I've seen it mentioned before, either here or on the Comcast Forums.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to shades

Premium Member

to shades
I use my Harmony remote.. works perfect.
tw1st
Wood Ridge, NJ

tw1st to shades

to shades
I would hope that at some point the colored buttons on the remote could be programmed into switching inputs. For now, the only options are to use your TV remove or purchase a universal remote.

Got around to trying some on demand shows last night, nice! On my older box I could only fast forward/rewind in the slowest speed, instant replay would jump back 5 min, and page up and page down would forward/rewind in 5min intervals. With the new box, you can actually rewind/fast forward shows just like you would a normal recorded program (different speeds), and also instant rewind actually works the way it is intended where it takes you back a few seconds rather than 5min.

Also noticed that the companion boxes are a little sluggish compared to the main DVR. Key inputs takes some time to show up on the screen (causing some mistakes to be made), switching to numbered channels and getting through the guide is pretty laggy at the moment. I don't know if this is hardware related or a software thing, hope to see it resolved in the near future. Would hope that this could be patched up at some point.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Not sure if this is new but I may have just discovered something new with my X1 boxes.

When you go back to a previous channel you can now rewind it to the beginning of where it was when you first tuned into that channel. In fact you can do it with more then 1 channel it seems. Like if you switch between 3 different channels you can rewind on all of them. Maybe it buffers each channel now using all 5 tuners?

So unless I am going crazy or something I think this is a new feature.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by gate1975mlm:

Not sure if this is new but I may have just discovered something new with my X1 boxes.

When you go back to a previous channel you can now rewind it to the beginning of where it was when you first tuned into that channel. In fact you can do it with more then 1 channel it seems. Like if you switch between 3 different channels you can rewind on all of them. Maybe it buffers each channel now using all 5 tuners?

I noticed this too!!!

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
does the 6 tuners mean you can have 5 tuners on different channels and use the 6th for on-demand? Like now I have two tuners and if I go to on-demand it uses one of the two tuners.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by mikedz4:

does the 6 tuners mean you can have 5 tuners on different channels and use the 6th for on-demand? Like now I have two tuners and if I go to on-demand it uses one of the two tuners.

In this FierceCable article about that »www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 13-05-02 it says "Comcast hasn't yet said what it will do with the sixth tuner in the X1, which is manufactured by Pace. 'We don't have plans to activate the sixth tuner right now, as we continue product development efforts on the X1 platform,' Comcast spokesman Peter Dobrow told FierceCable."

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

so on-demand uses one of the 5 tuners in use then?
shades
Williamstown, NJ

shades to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

aren't the harmony remotes being discontinued?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by shades:

said by SeattleMatt:

aren't the harmony remotes being discontinued?

Logitech recently changed its mind about selling that division:

Logitech backpedals on Harmony sale, decides to hang on to remote brand
By Jacob Kastrenakeson, The Verge - June 20, 2013
»www.theverge.com/2013/6/ ··· division

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

gate1975mlm to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

As far as I know only 5 tuners are active however novanosis said they are now beta testing the 6th tuner.

But yes On Demand I would think uses one of the 5 tuners.
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm to egeek84

Premium Member

to egeek84
said by egeek84:

said by gate1975mlm:

I noticed this too!!!

Strange I just checked again and now this handy feature is not working again.

I wonder if Comcast was testing it and pulled it already?
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Remember, there is always a 5th tuner reserved for live-TV and/or OnDemand. There are only 4 concurrent recordings possible. So it's not like you're getting gipped, Comcast has always reserved one tuner on the X1 platform.