Search similar:

uniqs

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459

Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

so it's not like the hopper or genie that can record 5 programs at once?

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by mikedz4:

Not yet but when comcast turns on the 6th tuner you will be able to record 5 things at one time.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

To be clear the Hopper only has 3-tuners. It can use a trick to record multiple prime time network shows with one tuner because of how satellite works and how Dish set up the big broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) in one transponder frequency, so it basically just does a big raw dump of the entire stream and then picks out the programs you want. If you do not use the PrimeTime Anytime feature and/or try to schedule more than two other recordings during prime time (if it's enabled) you'll find out pretty quick it only has 3 tuners.
»dishuser.org/ptat.php

rwycoff
join:2006-07-15
Bellaire, TX

rwycoff

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by mikedz4:

To be clear the Hopper only has 3-tuners. It can use a trick to record multiple prime time network shows with one tuner because of how satellite works and how Dish set up the big broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) in one transponder frequency, so it basically just does a big raw dump of the entire stream and then picks out the programs you want. If you do not use the PrimeTime Anytime feature and/or try to schedule more than two other recordings during prime time (if it's enabled) you'll find out pretty quick it only has 3 tuners.
»dishuser.org/ptat.php

There are only 5 tuners in my X! DVR - Pace PX001ANC. Are you saying there is some way to add a tuner that isn't in the diagnostics screens?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by rwycoff:

There are only 5 tuners in my X1 DVR - Pace PX001ANC. Are you saying there is some way to add a tuner that isn't in the diagnostics screens?

I believe that as only 5 tuners are currently enabled, the display for the 6th one is hidden.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

said by rwycoff:

There are only 5 tuners in my X1 DVR - Pace PX001ANC. Are you saying there is some way to add a tuner that isn't in the diagnostics screens?

I believe that as only 5 tuners are currently enabled, the display for the 6th one is hidden.

Correct. The firmware Comcast uses has it disabled.
sgc7
join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL

sgc7 to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by mikedz4:

so on-demand uses one of the 5 tuners in use then?

Remember, there is always a 5th tuner reserved for live-TV and/or OnDemand. There are only 4 concurrent recordings possible. So it's not like you're getting gipped, Comcast has always reserved one tuner on the X1 platform.

As far as I know, OnDemand on these boxes uses the DOCSIS modem on the boxes and is separate from the linear TV tuners, so it wouldn't even use those tuners.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by sgc7:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by mikedz4:

Remember, there is always a 5th tuner reserved for live-TV and/or OnDemand. There are only 4 concurrent recordings possible. So it's not like you're getting gipped, Comcast has always reserved one tuner on the X1 platform.

As far as I know, OnDemand on these boxes uses the DOCSIS modem on the boxes and is separate from the linear TV tuners, so it wouldn't even use those tuners.

I didn't think so, I believe the On Demand works the same way as for the other non-X1 STBs, and TiVo (downstream) too: »Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
yes but genie still can record 5 programs at once.
plus it has over a tb hard drive in it. Yes I know they will give us cloud storage but how much? Will the storage be just 25 gb or 1 tb?
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis

said by mikedz4:

yes but genie still can record 5 programs at once.
plus it has over a tb hard drive in it. Yes I know they will give us cloud storage but how much? Will the storage be just 25 gb or 1 tb?

It will be 1tb.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to sgc7

Premium Member

to sgc7
said by sgc7:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by mikedz4:

OnDemand is still done basically the same way, by using a QAM frequency for the actual video. There are posts from Comcast reps over on their forums that specifically mentioned that the reserved tuner is for live TV or OnDemand use.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Looks like the Greater Hartford, CT area is getting the X1 platform tomorrow:

Comcast Launches Supercharged X1 Cable Box In Area
By Kevin Hunt, Hartford Courant - July 22, 2013
»www.courant.com/business ··· 7.column
sgc7
Naperville, IL

sgc7 to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

OnDemand is still done basically the same way, by using a QAM frequency for the actual video. There are posts from Comcast reps over on their forums that specifically mentioned that the reserved tuner is for live TV or OnDemand use.

Oh, sorry. That's what I was told by the installer. I wish then that Comcast could get their act together and give their own employees the right information to give to customers. I mean, they can't even seem to get the storage capacity of the boxes straight.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

I see the X1 listed for new customers when I input my address. I first started seeing it a few days ago.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Darknessfall:

said by telcodad:

I see the X1 listed for new customers when I input my address. I first started seeing it a few days ago.

Yes, according to this article in the New Haven Register, it actually began rolling out in Connecticut two weeks ago, and is now officially launching in Connecticut, Western Massachusetts and Vermont:

Comcast taking cable to ‘next level’
By Joe Amarante, New Haven Register - July 22, 2013
»nhregister.com/articles/ ··· 4620.txt

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
I got a question. I'm looking at getting the X1 DVR box. Comcast is offering me the box for 10 bucks a month instead of my current Cisco RNG200N box that I'm renting for around 18 dollars. Is it really 10 dollars? It seems too good to be true. Secondly, the customer retention guy keeps insisting that all of my recordings that I would make on the X1 box would be accessible on my other equipment through On Demand under "Saved Programs", including being able to watch them through my TiVo Premiere's with the Xfinity On Demand application. Does anyone have experience with this combo?
sgc7
Naperville, IL

sgc7

It depends on what package you have. My package, Preferred Plus (which is the 139.99 minimum package to get X1), discounts the first XG1 box to $10. Then, additional RNG150N boxes are $9.95. And, no. He's dumb. You can access your recordings on the RNG150N boxes or additional XG1 boxes, through the DVR menu not OnDemand. I cannot imagine that you would be able to access them on TiVo boxes.

If you get the Premier package, they will give you the first XG1 box at no additional charge. That takes care of half of the cost difference right there. From there, it is only a $10 difference in cost to the P+.
patryan9
join:2004-06-16
Bolton, CT

patryan9 to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

I had HD Premiere but told I can't get the X1 unless I upgrade to a more expensive service... "F" that, I'm sure it's just a method to throttle demand for their inventory of X1 boxes but it just pisses off the consumers.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by patryan9:

said by telcodad:

I had HD Premiere but told I can't get the X1 unless I upgrade to a more expensive service... "F" that, I'm sure it's just a method to throttle demand for their inventory of X1 boxes but it just pisses off the consumers.

Yes, right now an existing subscriber needs to sign up for a new Triple Play package or upgrade to a higher one. This restriction is expected to be lifted once the X1 has been released in all markets and the equipment becomes readily available. See: »Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers
macnbc
join:2009-01-12
Arlington, VA

macnbc to patryan9

to patryan9
said by patryan9:

Don't be afraid to raise a stink over it if you really want one. I complained to Executive Customer Service about the policy and how my old SA3000HD was lightyears behind the competition. They "made an exception" for me and I had an X1 installed within the week.

rwycoff
Bellaire, TX

rwycoff to sgc7

to sgc7
said by sgc7:

It depends on what package you have. My package, Preferred Plus (which is the 139.99 minimum package to get X1), discounts the first XG1 box to $10. Then, additional RNG150N boxes are $9.95. And, no. He's dumb. You can access your recordings on the RNG150N boxes or additional XG1 boxes, through the DVR menu not OnDemand. I cannot imagine that you would be able to access them on TiVo boxes.

If you get the Premier package, they will give you the first XG1 box at no additional charge. That takes care of half of the cost difference right there. From there, it is only a $10 difference in cost to the P+.

In Houston, I got all Pace's. The DVR is the PX100ANC and the "companions" are PR150BNC's.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to sgc7

to sgc7
Yes, the Preferred Plus is what I currently have in a double play package for 159. What customer retention basically told me was that I would need to simply sign up for the service, have the tech install the X1 box, and return the DVR I'm renting for 18 dollars, and that'll lower my bill down to 151.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf

The only thing that pisses me off is that when I had an outage on Friday into Sunday by some neighborhood kids cutting the aerial drop on the side of my house, the tech who showed up on Sunday (long aggravating story) took my MoCA filter.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to gate1975mlm

MVM

to gate1975mlm
They are installing X1 in Cisco / SA set top area's? Are they putting SA/Cisco PowerKEY cable cards in them instead of Motorola Mediacipher?

rwycoff
Bellaire, TX

rwycoff

said by cypherstream:

They are installing X1 in Cisco / SA set top area's? Are they putting SA/Cisco PowerKEY cable cards in them instead of Motorola Mediacipher?

In Houston, it appears (from the diagnostics) that I have a Cisco cable card in my DVR. I can't tell which model, unless it is PKKXNBNCP.
aguiar0016
join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
I have finally have the anyroom X1 installed , Works likes a champ. The tech did say in our area they are being told to make sure signals are near "perfect" when installing anything X1. Needless to say he had to install a amp for my house. But so far no issues.

Get it if you can.
FastTimes1
join:2002-02-05
Intercourse, PA

FastTimes1 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
Does anyone with the remote DVR have a problem with the 5 min skip feature? Anytime I hit it several times in a row it crashes.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to rwycoff

to rwycoff
That's the serial number. The model number is usually located under the cablecard diag screen as H/W Model:
For example mine says H/W Model: 0801 for the Cisco PKM801 »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 26_a.pdf
which can do up to 6 concurrent streams.
The Cisco PKM801 is classified for rental to customers who own their own devices like TiVo and SiliconDust.
The Cisco PKM803 is classified for use in devices rented to customers such as Cisco set top boxes.
The Cisco PKM908 »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 8_01.pdf can do up to 8 concurrent streams.
I am unaware of any application or MSO that uses this model.
PKM as you know stands for PowerKEY Module.
Chuck66
join:2004-04-28
Mantua, NJ

Chuck66 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
I'm beginning to think I should have stuck with my original cable box. Sure the 5 tuner DVR is nice, but I am getting tired of trying to page through the guide and waiting a few seconds for each page or having it pause then scroll through four or five pages at once. My old cable box was faster at browsing the guide, which is what I do most.

Am I the only one experiencing this? I try to keep my box up to date with firmware and also reboot it occasionally.

rwycoff
Bellaire, TX

rwycoff to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

That's the serial number. The model number is usually located under the cablecard diag screen as H/W Model:
For example mine says H/W Model: 0801 for the Cisco PKM801 »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 26_a.pdf
which can do up to 6 concurrent streams.
The Cisco PKM801 is classified for rental to customers who own their own devices like TiVo and SiliconDust.
The Cisco PKM803 is classified for use in devices rented to customers such as Cisco set top boxes.
The Cisco PKM908 »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 8_01.pdf can do up to 8 concurrent streams.
I am unaware of any application or MSO that uses this model.
PKM as you know stands for PowerKEY Module.

I saw 0801 but I didn't know PKM stands for PowerKEY Module.

Color me newbie when it comes to cablecards.

And I have X1 DVR's, not TiVo or SiliconDust.