gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

4 edits

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

[X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

I just heard a brand new radio commercial for the new Xfinity X1 cable box on local radio station 94.1 WIP Sports radio. But like others have said its currently only available for new residents and customers I am a long time Triple Play customer and I wonder if I called up and complained if I could get comcast to hook me up with a few X1 boxes? My guess not very likely But the good news is at least its here for new customers so maybe spring or summer 2013 it will be available for the rest of the Triple Play customers.

If anyone here in Philly gets it maybe you can give us a nice review with some photos and video

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers in Philly!

Gate-
Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know what I can find out...

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Your welcome

Phil E Phan
@ppg.com

Phil E Phan to gate1975mlm

Anon

to gate1975mlm
Hey, I heard the same commercial on WIP and I thought the same thing. I've been paying a Comcast bill for quite a while, so I was going to make damn sure I got myself a new fancy box. So I called them up and they said it's available to current Triple Play customers, too- not just new subscribers. So the rep set up an appointment for me and they're coming out to install two boxes next Monday. $16 on my next bill for installation, but no extra cost for the boxes. Just give them a call. Hope this helps.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
im sure they have some for the techs, but most new installs have their equipment mailed to them from a central facility, thus the reason behind saying only new triple play customers can get it. Im sure if current 3xplay customers called up you can have a tech come out and install it, i wouldnt expect them to have them at the counters yet for customer swaps.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to Phil E Phan

Premium Member

to Phil E Phan
said by Phil E Phan :

Hey, I heard the same commercial on WIP and I thought the same thing. I've been paying a Comcast bill for quite a while, so I was going to make damn sure I got myself a new fancy box. So I called them up and they said it's available to current Triple Play customers, too- not just new subscribers. So the rep set up an appointment for me and they're coming out to install two boxes next Monday. $16 on my next bill for installation, but no extra cost for the boxes. Just give them a call. Hope this helps.

What area are you in?

I am in 19152 Northeast Philly and they told me its still not available yet for me.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Well I just called in and got denied. Told that it was available, but not to existing customers.

Ugh - I hate the rollout of new products...

*EDIT** Damn, just got denied by my corporate contact too. Said inventory is too low. Guess me having the top package along with Home security doesn't warrant a new box. So, whoever the anon poster is, consider yourself lucky.
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

And, now this morning also denied by my last ditch contact in the Executive department.

Wow...guess $ doesn't matter after all...

So i'm paying $240/month - and can't get the box.

But if someone who's paying less than me today wants to now pay $240/month, they can get it. That is reasoning that doesn't make sense.

Very disappointed in their decision to act like this... FIOS made their new boxes available to everyone from the start.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

It seems the availability of the X1 for existing customers varies from area to area. The main determining factor appears to be how much inventory of X1 boxes exists in that area.

Some previous posts concerning availability from the main X1 thread (»[X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App! ):
»Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

1 recommendation

mikedz4 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Why did you switch back to comcast from fios? I would have staid with fios.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er

the grass isnt always greener.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium Member
join:2002-12-05

Somnambul33t to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
Are these boxes eventually going to be available for double-play customers? i dont need/want phone service but was told thats the only way to get X1.
JoeSammamish
join:2009-06-10
Sammamish, WA

JoeSammamish

I'm sure the boxes will eventually be available to everybody.

Given the cost and limited availability of the boxes, it makes sense that Comcast would want to first use the new boxes to entice new high-end customers, and then work their way back to current high-end customers, and then finally everybody else.

I'm looking forward to seeing the X1 Guide out here in Seattle. I'm hopeful that before too long Comcast will be able to just roll the guide out to recent-vintage equipment (I have the multi-room DVR boxes) without needing to swap out equipment, but we'll just have to wait and see. In the meanwhile, hopefully Comcast irons out a few bugs and adds some new features to the X1 Guide.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Why did you switch back to comcast from fios? I would have staid with fios.

Perhaps some insight here: »So Long.....

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

what are the plans to expand x1 in this year?

PhillyTVman
@comcast.net

PhillyTVman to SeattleMatt

Anon

to SeattleMatt
I was originally given the same runaround, that it was a strict policy, but then the nice women on the phone mentioned there might be something she could do, because we've been a longstanding customer... She put in a service call. And a day later they showed up. Originally they were going to slightly modify the plan, but nothing new on my bill but am instillation fee.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to JoeSammamish

to JoeSammamish
Actually the X1 boxes and equipment is already available to both new and existing customers due to the fact that so many calls from existing customers came flooding in demanding that they changed their stance and allowed existing customers to get it too. I was told this from the X1 division

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Mike-
I'm somewhat leery of what you're posting - but maybe i'll follow up again when I get back from Hawaii. Leaving this morning for 10 days!

Post if you end up getting one!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

All I know is when I asked about the X1 equipment and asked if it was available to triple play customers only they said it was at first but was now available to all existing customers with a technician installation. Then a few days ago I called Comcast over the phone because I was bored and asked the same thing and was told that because so many people called in to complain that it wasn't available to current customers, that Comcast changed their stance about it being available to new customers only and they now are allowing existing customers to get it as well. Somehow customers got the X1 team's direct number and were overwhelmed by the amount of interest by current customers. I was thinking of getting one but I think I'm just gonna see where the RNG200N S26 update and hopefully Guide 2.0 takes me.
Expand your moderator at work
TurboDan
join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

TurboDan to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm

Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers in Philly!

Ha, if they said that to me, I would've told them to cancel my account, then I'll call and sign up for service again.

Reminds me of when I got a new car last year. My old car had XM radio in it, and my new one has Sirius. They're the same company, but when I called and asked to have my account switched to my new car, they told me there would be a $15 "transfer fee." So I told them to just cancel my XM account, and I would hang up and call right back and get a new Sirius account. Well what do you know, the fee was waived.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

If you cancel the account you'd have to put the new account under a different name since otherwise you wouldn't be considered a new customer but instead a returning customer.
TurboDan
join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

TurboDan

said by Mike Wolf:

If you cancel the account you'd have to put the new account under a different name since otherwise you wouldn't be considered a new customer but instead a returning customer.

D'oh! Guess I'll have to get married to be able to use my would-be wife's name to hatch the X1 ruse.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Careful they may look into it and request a marriage certificate lol Anyway I wouldn't worry about it since it should be available to existing customers as well.
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
Not entirely on topic, but Central PA won't see these until at least Q4 2013. The reason I got was way over my head, but long story short, the systems aren't ready for the X1 yet.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to gate1975mlm

MVM

to gate1975mlm
According to this article on the Light Reading Cable site today, it was just a "soft-launch" of the X1 in the Freedom Region last month, and now the formal rollout of it will begin:

Comcast's X1 Flies Into Philly
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - January 11, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/ipt ··· 40146098

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

According to this article on the Light Reading Cable site today, it was just a "soft-launch" of the X1 in the Freedom Region last month, and now the formal rollout of it will begin:

Comcast's X1 Flies Into Philly
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - January 11, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/ipt ··· 40146098

Good

Hope to have the X1 in my home by June!

And hopefully most of the annoying bugs will be fixed by then

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

Hopefully the launch will go well in the Freedom Region. (The Beltway Region - like the Freedom Region - uses a LOT of Motorola gear - both STBs and other, such as CMTS - however, there is also some ARRIS and even some Cisco/S-A and Pace stuff scattered about.)

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to gate1975mlm

MVM

to gate1975mlm
There's a long article all about the X1 platform and its features on the Philadelphia Business Journal site today:

Comcast TV service is changing, big-time, with X1: Slideshow
By Peter Key, Philadelphia Business Journal - January 16, 2013
»www.bizjournals.com/phil ··· ing.html

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Yeah, it's a shame 99% of the customer base still isn't allowed to get the box.

Just asked again this past week, still denied. It's a joke to have all of these PR's when they aren't very clear about the fact you can't really get the box.