Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

A new X1 platform feature announced today:

X1 Talks: Comcast Launches Industry’s First Voice Guided TV Interface
“Talking Guide” Reads Aloud Channel Names, Show Titles and DVR Commands; Allows For Independent Search and Discovery For People With Disabilities

Comcast Press Release, Business Wire - November 12, 2014
»www.businesswire.com/news/home/2···e-Guided

Also an article on the MCN site: »www.multichannel.com/news/tv-app···1/385494

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to nawab27
said by nawab27:

interesting that the Xi3 rollout is starting. does anyone know where one can find the technical specs / teardowns of the various Xi3 boxes? interested to learn what silicon chips etc are inside the Pace, Arris, Humax, Technicolor etc Xi3 boxes

They keep most of that stuff confidential.
There's a few tidbits here and there from press releases and some high-level info on manufacturer's sites.

»www.lightreading.com/meet-comcas···d/698739

»rdkcentral.com/humax-entropic-br···network/

»ir.entropic.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=···ghlight=

»www.engadget.com/2012/11/28/comc···ble-box/

»www.technicolor.com/en/solutions···-clients

nawab27
Premium
join:2014-10-31
New York, NY
reply to telcodad
interesting that the Xi3 rollout is starting. does anyone know where one can find the technical specs / teardowns of the various Xi3 boxes? interested to learn what silicon chips etc are inside the Pace, Arris, Humax, Technicolor etc Xi3 boxes

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Well, Darknessfall See Profile just pointed out to me that this page has been updated, as of yesterday, adding the "Pace Xi3" "Non-DVR HDMI Only" box now (as shown above):

X1: Equipment Comparison
Updated on October 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···nion-box

An article on the MCN site about this now:

Comcast Starts To Deploy All-IP Boxes For X1
‘Xi3’ HD Client Being Rolled Out in Select Markets

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - October 28, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/news/techno···1/385122

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
Found this info about the Xi3 roll-out in a thread on the Comcast Support forum:

Xi3 Availability in Boston
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Xi3-Ava···5#M38186
said by ComcastChad :

mtownsend144 wrote:
Any updates to the roll out dates and markets for the Xi3? It's listed on Comcast's website as available equipment in select trial markets. »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···nion-box
Xi3 Devices are only available in our Nashville market right now, Boston should have these by the end of this year.

and
said by ComcastChad :

mtownsend144 wrote:
Thanks for the update. Called cust service earlier and they said Hartford, CT starting tomorrow. I got the feeling she didn't really know though. How about the Philadelphia market which I'm in?
She was correct, we are starting a very small customer trial in the Hartford area only tomorrow. Philadelphia is not till early next year.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to telcodad
when is the live last 9 feature they displayed in june supposed to roll out?
Also my box keeps getting stuck on switching to hd and I have to reboot it how can I fix this?
Lastly when will cloud dvr be deployed in Pittsburgh area?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

It looks like Comcast has updated/added a bunch of X1 info/support pages on their Xfinity TV Support site.

Here's new one that I just came across that provides a comparision between the X1 DVR (hub) and non-DVR (companion) boxes:

Updated on August 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM

[Note that the upcoming Xi3 box is not included in it (yet). ]

Well, Darknessfall See Profile just pointed out to me that this page has been updated, as of yesterday, adding the "Pace Xi3" "Non-DVR HDMI Only" box now (as shown above):

Updated on October 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM

wolf

@50.133.206.x
reply to telcodad
Got the 1.47 "Updates". Things not to like:

- Favorites menu (hitting Guide button twice) suddenly doesn't work any longer
- Audio dropouts, both during On Demand & Live tv, have increased (via HDMI)
- New settings menu is a step backwards, now it takes additional clicks to get to each settings detail
- Nightly Audio mode reset issue of dropping back to Stereo still not fixed. Note that this doesn't happen when I'm still watching tv when the reset occurs around 3:00am, even if I say "OK" to have the reset happen at that point. So this is somehow related to some type of handshake problem via HDMI after the tv/receiver are restarted, but only if that Restart happens unattended & the other devices are powered off. I think I tested this one day by connecting audio via Coax/Optical instead of HDMI & didn't have this issue.

On the positive side they added the option for Mono Audio back to the menu (not that I care but some might).

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad
Looks like there are two X1 Updates this month, one last week (1.46) and now yet another one this week (1.47):

quote:
Below are the major changes with 1.46 (should be available to all customers by the end of next week):

• Settings Updates: The Settings menu is being updated to better reflect the use experience for the new guide for XFINITY on the X1 Entertainment Operating System

• Accessibility Menu Add: The Settings menu is being updated with an Accessibility sub-menu

• Movie Entity Page – HD Trailer Plays When Available

• Updated Sports App Notification

• Tip Notification: When a customer begins navigating forward or backwards through the On-Screen Guide, a notification appears informing them how to skip ahead or back a full day

• Sports Subtitle Added to Grid Guide Information: Additional information added to sports entities to provide more detail (e.g. MLB Baseball: Phillies vs. Pirates)

• Movie Guide View Enhancements:
Primetime Tonight Row: Displays all movies available after 8:00PM local time
Upcoming Row: Displays all movies airing each day for up to 14 days

• Comcast Labs Updates: Playlists and the RF Signal Indicator have been added to the Comcast Labs page
Also, from: »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Upcomin···7#M35556
quote:
Something I came across that wasn't on the list. If you go to watch a repeat (using World Series of Poker as an example) and it's past the start time, you have the option to restart, and the program is pulled automatically from On Demand.

These additions appear to be the ones discussed in this MCN article today:

Comcast Rolls Out, Tests New X1 Features
Restart Notification, Custom Playlists, Improved Movie Guide On Offer

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - October 24, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/news/tv-app···s/385014

quote:
below are major enhancements with 1.47

• Updated Voice Control Display

• X1 DVR with Cloud Technology XFINITY TV app Promotion: After scheduling a new recording, X1 DVR with Cloud Technology customers will be reminded that they can download and view recordings using the XFINITY TV app.

• Next Episode Suggestion: Customers will be prompted to view the next episode of a series once playback is complete, or after pressing Exit when more than 85% of an XFINITY On Demand program is complete. If the next episode has not yet aired, they will be given the option to schedule a recording.
Note: This feature was previously located in the Comcast Labs beta menu, but can now be found under Settings > Preferences

• Offline Recordings: Removed from For You menu, Entity pages, Recording page, Recordings List and Last Nine

• Year Added to TV Series in Search

• Cast and Crew Improvements:
• Cast and crew information on Entity Pages now display actors’ role information
• Maximum personalities in row extended to 20

• Titles Added to Music Video Images

• Low Battery Notification

EDIT: Some of the new features are shown in this Comcast Voices blog item:

This Month on X1: New Features to Make Watching Videos Even Easier
By Peter Nush, Exec. Dir., Prod Mngmt, Comcast Voices blog - October 23, 2014
»corporate.comcast.com/comcast-vo···update-1

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Comcast says it's now accelerating the rollout and expanding the eligibility requirements for X1:

Comcast Speeds Up X1 Rollout
Expanding Eligibility For Cloud-Based Video Platform

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - July 22, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/news/techno···t/382675

The latest update on the deployment of the X1 platform:

Comcast: 5 Million X1 Boxes Deployed
‘On Track’ To Have Most Video Subs On X1 Within 3 Years

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - October 23, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/news/tv-app···d/384990

EDIT: Karl has a DSLR news item up on this now: »Comcast Has Deployed 5 Million New X1 Set Tops

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I have a printed rate sheet from the local Comcast office, here in Springfield MA they'll gladly upgrade your DVR and boxes to X1 for a $49.99 fee. It says X1 Platform upgrade fee $49.99.

Yeah, Comcast dropped that fee down from its original $100 price in most markets starting back in March: »Upgrading to Comcast's X1 May Incur $100 Fee for Some

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
reply to gate1975mlm
I have a printed rate sheet from the local Comcast office, here in Springfield MA they'll gladly upgrade your DVR and boxes to X1 for a $49.99 fee. It says X1 Platform upgrade fee $49.99.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to scjohnson
said by scjohnson:

September update notes from the Comcast forum:
:
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/XFINITY···3#M31392

"ComcastSarah" published this less abbreviated, more descriptive version today:

quote:
The following updates are new customer facing features and improvements coming to the product in September – this does not include any of the development work to improve stability and other RDK issues.

Movie and TV Series screen updates:
-A Common Sense Media score has been added to Movie and TV Series screens so parents can more accurately determine if a program is age appropriate for a child. Select 'Parental Guide' from the action bar of a Movie or TV Series to find more details about the program’s rating.
-“More from this network” row added below Cast & Crew, includes more programs from the same network, providing a new way to discover content from your favorite providers.

DVR Improvements:
-Channel number is now included with “This Channel Only” recording option to better communicate the channel the program will record on.

Saved Improvements:
-Expanded ‘For You’ section includes a Recent Apps row, as well as a Recent Purchases row.
-New ability to add Music Videos and Fitness videos to your Favorites.

Browse Improvements:
-Recent Rows have been added at the top of TV, Kids, and Music Videos in On Demand, to help users keep up with the programs they are watching.
-Rotten Tomatoes sort: New sort options have been added to improve the browsing experience and help users find the top rated movies. Select the sort option while browsing content in On Demand, and select Critic Score (tomato icon) or Audience Score (popcorn icon) to sort in descending order by rating score, showing the highest rated movies first.

Guide View Improvements:
-Movie Guide View sort options now also include Rotten Tomatoes sort.
-Common Sense Media score added on programs within the Kids Guide View.

Search Improvement:
-Popular sport genres in search link to sports listings pages which makes it easier to find sports event programming. Search for “Football” to see an example.

Parental Controls Improvement:
-Fixed an issue with Parental Control locked channels: when flipping through channels, users can now channel up or down past Parental Control locked content.

Comcast Labs:
-Restart Notifications: Turn this feature On to see an onscreen notification when the program you tune to is available for Restart.
-Faster Menu Navigation: Turn this feature On to automatically select the Main Menu and Guide View options without an extra key press “OK”.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to joejoejeo
said by telcodad:

It looks like Comcast has updated/added a bunch of X1 info/support pages on their Xfinity TV Support site.

Here's new one that I just came across that provides a comparision between the X1 DVR (hub) and non-DVR (companion) boxes:

said by joejoejeo:

So does anybody have the Samsung RNG150N that is listed on [that] page?

Noticed a mention about a "Samsung six-tuner DOCSIS 3.0 set-top box" in this MCN article: »www.multichannel.com/news/techno···o/383698

I wonder if this could be a Samsung version of the XG1 that goes along with the Samsung RNG150N X1 companion box?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to scjohnson
And before that post in that Comcast Support forum, "ComcastChad" had posted this (first) one:

quote:
A new version of the XFINITY TV app and website has been released to customers this morning (9/8). This release now allows X1 DVR with cloud technology customers to stream and download COMPLETED recordings outside the home connected to any Wifi or 3G/4G/LTE connections. Please see release notes below:

• Expanded functionality and content availability out-of-home (over non-comcast wi-fi or cellular networks) including:
• Device provisioning
• Streaming of completed recordings
• Downloading of completed recordings (mobile only)
• Setting/canceling of recordings
• Browsing guide and OnDemand libraries
• and more!

• Rotten tomatoes ratings
• Player support for iOS 8 (iOS only)

Note: Live TV and On Demand Streaming still requires connection to your in-home XFINITY Network. You can now browse the Guide and On Demand listings outside your home.
And then:
quote:
Chad,

My guess is that multiple DVR support will be in a later release, from what you say here?

By the end of this month, Whole Home DVR scheduling will be deployed to customers with more than 2 X1 DVRs in the home.

scjohnson

join:2010-07-21
West Lafayette, IN
reply to gate1975mlm
September update notes from the Comcast forum:

In the coming weeks XRE 1.45 will be released to all X1 customers. Release notes are below:

Common Sense Media and Parental Guidance displays updated
New Episode Guide display for episodes available for purchase
Recent TV Shows row added to On Demand menu
Favorite button added to sports entity pages
Movies can now be sorted by Rotten Tomatoes rating
Channel number now displayed under record options
Sports genres now searchable
For You menu expanded to include Recent Apps and Recent Purchases rows
New alternate Mini-Guide view
Improved Sports Team pages
Comcast Labs beta features available to preview:
Faster Menu Navigation
Restart Notifications
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/XFINITY···3#M31392

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN
reply to telcodad
So does anybody have the Samsung RNG150N that is listed on this page »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···nion-box

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to gate1975mlm

[Note that the upcoming Xi3 box is not included in it (yet). However, you can always refer to this chart from the Comcast Cable TV FAQs area for now: »i.dslr.net/syms/2e96296e09ba4d63···f335.jpg ]

cbrigante2
Cubs 20??
Premium
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL
reply to gate1975mlm
Okay, I think I finally got one of my X1 issues fixed. Made the call and got a tech to come out to my house. Couple issues with the initial install apparently. He said signal strength was way too strong coming into the house. He also had to add a powered amplifier inside my house for the X1 units. Going off what him and I were casually talking about...it sounds like those amps are the key to making things work smoothly. He said they were in very short supply. Once he added that and rebooted the system, my Anyroom DVR functionality worked perfectly.

Now on to the next issue, Caller ID not appearing on my tv (minor issue I know but I'm paying for it so I should expect it to work right?). I'll also be placing a call in the next few days to get my modem set to bridge mode.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to mikedz4
I think that information is stored in the cloud. Saw a post on the other site where a guy swapped his DVR but the new one showed the list of all the old recordings. Calling Comcast fixed the issue.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to gate1975mlm
I noticed on one of my x1 boxes the saved recordings is stuck at 100% full. No matter how many shows I delete it is stuck at 100% full. I also noticed I am not able to play content from one x1 dvr on another. Like I record a show in the living room. It won't play in the bedroom for some reason. How do I fix these issues?

Zoder

Miami, FL
reply to wolf
They audio problem you speak of has not been resolved with this update according to the posts on the other forum.

I think the freezing relates to signal/network problems. Since most of the functions go through the cloud, when there is a network issue the system can freeze. Last week we had a outage on Monday for all 3 services. Over the weekend I had been experiencing a lot of freezes on all of our boxes. After the outage was resolved haven't had anymore freezing since then.

wolf

@208.77.28.x
reply to Zoder
"Ongoing work for performance and stability improvements"...

Maybe this gives some hope that CC will finally address the stereo/surround issue that they created a while back with one of their X1 upgrades. Also the intermittent audio dropouts, and I still get occasional freeze-ups of the DVR (and of course the satellite box is interminably slow to respond). Just last night the whole system locked up in the middle of watching a live program & I was too tired to deal with it, so just went to bed...

Zoder

Miami, FL
reply to gate1975mlm
Here are the August updates we should be receiving according to the Comcast forum.

Purchase TV Seasons

-New TV Season bundling so you can purchase an entire season of a series (instead of purchasing one episode at a time). To start, only a few seasons will be offered in a bundle, but check back for more seasons with bundled purchase option in the next few months.

Search: ‘Jump to’ neighborhood option when in grid guide

-We received feedback on the forums that users wanted to be able to type a channel number, but if that number was not in their channel lineup, they could still jump to that area of channels. This feature is in response to that request.

Browse enhancements:

-Added “For You” as a sort option in browse sections. Select the sort option at the top of the screen and select “For You” to see a personalized sort order based on the On Demand viewing habits of the particular device.

-After scrolling down into a browse collection, you can press the up arrow button on your remote to scroll back to the top row.

Grid Guide enhancements:

-Playback indicators appear in the grid guide for programs that are available On Demand at no extra charge. There are two icons: Restart and Watch Now. Select a program with this icon to either restart from the beginning (if program has already begun), or to watch now (if program airs in the future).

Apps

-New row for websites to showcase websites that are easily accessible from X1

-We updated the screen for entering your Apps PIN across all apps – more consistent log in process

Mini Info update:

Press the Info button on your remote while watching a TV Series. The episodes button in the action bar will take you to the episode guide in the case that you want to find another episode of that particular series. You can also scroll down to see a row that features other programs from the same network provider.

Sports Team pages:

We have improved sports team pages by organizing listings into 3 rows: Live, Replays and More Programs. This layout makes it much easier to find upcoming live games for your favorite sports team.

Recordings:

A ‘More Episodes’ tile has been added to the end of a series recording row to show the number of episodes available On Demand. This is helpful because you can see how many other available episodes there are to watch. Clicking on the tile will take you to the episode guide.

Last Watched:

-Added channel number to channel tiles in the last watched row.

-Added episode number, season number and episode title to program tiles.

HD Preferred Improvement:

-Skip watch options and begin automatic playback of HD (removes an additional step from playback process)

Comcast Labs:

-Photo Share Feature has been added to Comcast Labs. Turn the feature on, and then enter your phone number with your remote to receive a link to share your photos to the TV from your smart phone.

Ongoing work for performance and stability improvements

wolf

@208.77.28.x
reply to egeek84
Regarding the nightly Stereo/Surround issue, that used to work just fine & was broken at one point a couple of months back (presumably by some updates that were pushed down to the box). This is not an issue that was always inherent to the Pace boxes, so don't know why this can't also be fixed by another software/firmware update. I think the intermittent audio dropouts may have been happening all along on my Pace but can't say for sure.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
FYI - From a post »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Updates···9#M27354 by "ComcastSarah" on the Comcast Support forum today:
quote:
This link offers helpful tips and tricks for the X1 Guide. I hope you all find it useful!

»media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···ips1.pdf

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gate1975mlm
im telling you guys, Get the Arris X1 (XG1A) ! It resolves the audio issues, PERMANENTLY! Beg, scream, do whatever you have to do to have your local installer/repairguy go out and get it. If he comes to your house with the Pace X1s, kindly tell him the issue and request for him to get the Arris one.

wolf

@74.121.100.x
reply to cheeseman
Same here. Good times...

cheeseman

join:2014-06-19
Palo Alto, CA
kudos:1
reply to gate1975mlm
I'm still experiencing audio drops, and wake up every morning to the box putting out stereo despite the menu still saying surround. I have to toggle to stereo and then back to surround to get surround out again.

I'm agitated enough that I might just go get an optical cable again soon.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
Comcast has a new video up their YouTube channel today on the X1 platform:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j4mcL7kaDE