Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:17
reply to telcodad

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

said by telcodad:

said by IowaCowboy:

I have a printed rate sheet from the local Comcast office, here in Springfield MA they'll gladly upgrade your DVR and boxes to X1 for a $49.99 fee. It says X1 Platform upgrade fee $49.99.

Yeah, Comcast dropped that fee down from its original $100 price in most markets starting back in March [2014]: »Upgrading to Comcast's X1 May Incur $100 Fee for Some

FYI - Just found this notice on my latest bill:
quote:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: As of March 3, 2015, due to changes in business costs, the X1 Platform Upgrade Fee decreased from $49.99 to $19.99 per occurrence. Price excludes applicable taxes and fees.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad
FYI - A Comcast Voices blog item this week about this month's X1 platform features and enhancements:

New This Month On X1: A More Intuitive and Accessible User Experience
Comcast Voices blog - April 7, 2015
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· perience

EDIT: There's also an MCN article about this now:

Comcast Pushes X1 Updates
HD Now The Default For Titles That Can Be Rented & Purchased

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - April 12, 2015
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· s/389699

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

It looks like Comcast has updated/added a bunch of X1 info/support pages on their Xfinity TV Support site.

Here's new one that I just came across that provides a comparision between the X1 DVR (hub) and non-DVR (companion) boxes:

X1: Equipment Comparison
Updated on August 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· nion-box

said by joejoejeo:

So does anybody have the Samsung RNG150N that is listed on [that] page?

Also from: »Re: [X1-X2] New customer with x1
said by Zoder:

said by telcodad:

Most of the RNG150N "companion" boxes have been supplied by Pace, but recently Samsung has become a supplier for those also: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· nion-box

My uncle got those Samsung boxes during his install. Any word on the differences between them and the Pace? I know Arris DVRs had bugs the Pace boxes didn't and vice-versa.

No, I haven't heard/seen much about the Samsung RNG150N companion box to say.

Some pictures of it (along with an ARRIS XG1 box) can be seen here: »Re: [Install] New install

I just checked out the Cable Box User Manuals page on Comcast's Customer Support site, and noticed that it now it shows that the Cisco RNG150N STB is "Compatible with X1":

Cable Box User Manuals
Updated on March 06, 2015 at 3:30 PM
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· -manuals

Cisco RNG150N user guide: »media2.comcast.net/anon. ··· uide.pdf

Wonder if it's now being supplied with X1 installs yet, in place of the Pace and Samsung versions?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
From: »Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers
said by aabaaf:

said by ILpt4U:

Do the X1 DVRs allow external HDD expanded storage just yet?

No external expanded storage on the DVR's, and they most likely never will allow it. They are sometime within the next few months to a year, going to cloud storage, with 1 TB standard, from what I have been told. Then most likely if you want most storage above the 1 TB, it will be $X for X MB/GB more per month.

OK, it looks like we've finally got the definitive answer on whether the eSATA port on the X1 DVRs will ever be enabled to expand local storage: »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· 4#M63955
Expand your moderator at work

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to telcodad

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

that app was on the main x1 back when I still lived at my apartment back in August. That's how I was was able to tell how much I owed on my account.

BigBearsFan

join:2009-08-01
Galesburg, IL
reply to telcodad
Xfinity photo share now available ! They have both Apple and Android apps. used today to watch a few videos with grandkids of themselves on tv.Nice little novelty. I don't know anyone to share with to see if that feature works or not but I imagine if sharing with your own tv works the other function works also.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to telcodad
Wow those tech guides are a fountain of information

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to mariod
said by mariod:

said by telcodad:

Looks like firmware revision 2.0 is being pushed out for ARRIS XG1's ("XG1-A") now:

The full version number for this will show "2.0p9s3"

I have it, on the Comcast Willow Grove system just outside Philly. Are there any new features, or just all functionality improvements?

If you're talking about this re-release of 2.0, then it's just some bug fixes to the initial 2.0 release.

For the 2.0 release in general:

said by RickGr4 :
... I thought I would summarize what I know and what I remember has been previously said about the 2.0 firmware. It is important to note that not all of these improvements will happen at the initial launch of 2.0.
:
1. Improved surround audio performance. I can confirm this.
2. Support for the XR11 Voice Control remote. Once again, I can confirm this. The XR11 remote is kinda cool.
3. Pandora has sound when an Arris DVR is set to surround. Once again, I can confirm this.
4. Improved audio sync. (I never had a problem with my Arris DVRs) I suspect there is more work to be done on this issue.
5. Improved HDMI handshakes with certain brands of TVs. Hopefully Samsung and Vizio.
6. Minimize or eliminate any differences between Pace and Arris DVRs and get them on a "common" platform.
7. Improved power management.

mariod

join:2009-06-16
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Looks like firmware revision 2.0 is being pushed out for ARRIS XG1's ("XG1-A") now:

I have it, on the Comcast Willow Grove system just outside Philly. Are there any new features, or just all functionality improvements?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to wolf

2.0 now cleared for Arris boxes?
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· /2481361
said by TN_3 :
Within the last hour, my Arris XG1 was upgraded to 2.0. Previously, ComcastNeal stated that 2.0 had not been cleared for the Arris box, but was coming soon. Looks like that time is now. DVR schedules look good, previous recordings still there, video output is correct, and remote will finally RF pair successfully! So far so good.

EDIT: The roll-out of the 2.0 firmware to ARRIS-made XG1s has now been confirmed:

said by ComcastNeal :
I'm happy to say that 2.0 is now starting to roll out to Arris XG1 boxes. For those of you with Arris XG1 DVRs your boxes will automatically update when the firmware is available for your particular box. Thanks for your patience as we work to push 2.0 to 100% of the Arris boxes around the country. Remember, 2.0 is now available for Pace XG1v1, Arris XG1v1, Pace XG1v3, and Xi3 boxes.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

A Comcast Voices blog item today about the X1 platform features and enhancements debuting this month:

New On X1: Simpler Navigation & Content Selection
Comcast Voices blog - February 9, 2015
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· election

The "My Account" app is now available on the X1 platform:

Now Playing: My Account on the X1 Platform
By Charlie Herrin, Senior VP Customer Experience, Comcast Voices blog - February 23, 2015
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· nt-on-x1

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

An interesting find by someone on the Comcast Customer Support forum today:

Newer X1 Comcast Tech Installation Guide

said by RobertWy :
»spectra7tech.com/files/T ··· _322.pdf

There's also a Job Aid document for the Xi3 client box on that site:

Introducing the Xi3 : MoCA/IP Only Set Top Box For X1
»spectra7tech.com/files/T ··· R_65.pdf

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
An interesting find by someone on the Comcast Customer Support forum today:

Newer X1 Comcast Tech Installation Guide
said by RobertWy :
Includes the Xi3.

Includes how to connect to the Commscope and EVO amplifiers.

Includes Cloud and live streaming.

Includes Whole Home Scheduling.

Includes Customer Education.

»spectra7tech.com/files/T ··· _322.pdf

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

A Comcast Voices blog item today about the X1 platform features and enhancements debuting this month:

Also a Comcast Voices blog item now about some enhancements for NASCAR fans:

Comcast Revs Up X1 with New NASCAR Features
Racing fans get new video On Demand and X1 sports app in time for this weekend's racing action from the Daytona International Speedway.
Comcast Voices blog - February 19, 2015
»corporate.comcast.com/ne ··· features

Note that most Xfinity TV subscribers don't have the Fox Sports 2 (FS2) channel on their lineup yet, so any Fox NASCAR programming that ends up there still cannot be viewed: »[HD] Fox Sports 2

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

It looks like Comcast has updated/added a bunch of X1 info/support pages on their Xfinity TV Support site.

Here's new one that I just came across that provides a comparision between the X1 DVR (hub) and non-DVR (companion) boxes:

X1: Equipment Comparison
Updated on August 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· nion-box

said by joejoejeo:

So does anybody have the Samsung RNG150N that is listed on [that] page?

Also from: »Re: [X1-X2] New customer with x1
said by Zoder:

said by telcodad:

Most of the RNG150N "companion" boxes have been supplied by Pace, but recently Samsung has become a supplier for those also: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· nion-box

My uncle got those Samsung boxes during his install. Any word on the differences between them and the Pace? I know Arris DVRs had bugs the Pace boxes didn't and vice-versa.

No, I haven't heard/seen much about the Samsung RNG150N companion box to say.

Some pictures of it (along with an ARRIS XG1 box) can be seen here: »Re: [Install] New install

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
An article on the MCN site today with the latest news on the Xi3:

Comcast Brings Live TV Buffering to All-IP 'Xi3' Box
New Feature Relies On Integrated SD Memory Card

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News – February 10, 2015
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· x/387858

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

Also:

Comcast Tacks On More X1 Features
Features Include Movie Bundles, Easier Way To Navigate Sports Programming

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - February 9, 2015
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· s/387823

wolf

@comcast.net
reply to telcodad
It sure did revert back again to 1.3.4 (and "re-broke" the Surround Sound setting of course). So just to recap:

1) Surround used to work fine for a number of months
2) "Improvements" were pushed out that broke this many months ago (for Arris boxes)
3) It's taken them this long to address this but it was finally fixed a few days ago
4) This fix has now been pulled back & we're back to step #2

...and I'm paying how much per month? Unbelievably sloppy! I don't know how anyone can trust what this company is pushing out. Here's sincerely hoping their proposed TWC merger fails, they're already "too big to fail".

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

It was also announced on the Comcast Support Forum today that firmware revision 2.0 is starting to be pushed out to the XG1 DVR boxes now (and also to the companion boxes sometime later):

said by ComcastNeal :
I've got GREAT news for those of you who've been following along with set top firmware rev's. 2.0 has started to push in small numbers to Pace XG1, Arris XG1, and Pace XG1v3 boxes (the v3 has always had 2.0 but is being updated). If you don't already see 2.0 running on your XG1 DVR boxes, you will soon! Enjoy!
:
2.0 is a "ground up" rebuild of the set top box firmware. You'll see improved performance in several areas including Surround Sound. It's a great platform for us to continue to evolve and improve the X1 experience!
:
Boxes will auto update. There is no need to reboot or intervene in order to obtain the update.

FYI - Don't be surprised if you find that your XG1 box has reverted back to firmware version 1.3.4 now:

said by ComcastNeal :
... your box was moved back to 1.3.4 last night ... We found a minor issue in 2.0 and will resume pushing again soon. This is why you'll see some boxes on 2.0 and some on 1.3.4 over the next few weeks. Please be patient as we ensure we are providing you with an optimal experience as we roll out 2.0 nationally. Thanks!

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to scjohnson
Click for full size
said by scjohnson:

"Keep in mind: to activate your new set-top box, you must have an existing XG1 or XG2 box up and running."
XG2 must be coming soon!

Yes, but what I liked most about that guide is that it has a drawing of the Xi3 box showing the location of the slot for inserting the "Instant Replay" SD card.

scjohnson

join:2010-07-21
West Lafayette, IN
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by nawab27:

interesting that the Xi3 rollout is starting. does anyone know where one can find the technical specs / teardowns of the various Xi3 boxes? interested to learn what silicon chips etc are inside the Pace, Arris, Humax, Technicolor etc Xi3 boxes

They keep most of that stuff confidential.
There's a few tidbits here and there from press releases and some high-level info on manufacturer's sites.

»www.lightreading.com/mee ··· d/698739

»rdkcentral.com/humax-ent ··· network/

»ir.entropic.com/phoenix. ··· ghlight=

»www.engadget.com/2012/11 ··· ble-box/

»www.technicolor.com/en/s ··· -clients

FYI - Just came across this link on the latest updated X1 Self Installation Kit page (»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· tall-kit ):

Xi3 Quick Start Guide
»media2.comcast.net/anon. ··· 4_v2.pdf

"Keep in mind: to activate your new set-top box, you must have an existing XG1 or XG2 box up and running."
XG2 must be coming soon!

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by nawab27:

interesting that the Xi3 rollout is starting. does anyone know where one can find the technical specs / teardowns of the various Xi3 boxes? interested to learn what silicon chips etc are inside the Pace, Arris, Humax, Technicolor etc Xi3 boxes

They keep most of that stuff confidential.
There's a few tidbits here and there from press releases and some high-level info on manufacturer's sites.

»www.lightreading.com/mee ··· d/698739

»rdkcentral.com/humax-ent ··· network/

»ir.entropic.com/phoenix. ··· ghlight=

»www.engadget.com/2012/11 ··· ble-box/

»www.technicolor.com/en/s ··· -clients

FYI - Just came across this link on the latest updated X1 Self Installation Kit page (»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· tall-kit ):

Xi3 Quick Start Guide
»media2.comcast.net/anon. ··· 4_v2.pdf

BigBearsFan

join:2009-08-01
Galesburg, IL
reply to gate1975mlm
Does 2.0 fix the EAS ? Now I am getting just a black screen with no alert sound or picture or writing just the letters EAS on the X1 box. This happened twice this morning.

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

3 edits
reply to gate1975mlm
I received Firmware 2.0 on all 3 of my DVR boxes.

Improvements I have seen so far as follows.

1. Surround Sound finally sticks even after rebooting the box.

2. Audio and video settings don't disappear and show NA anymore.

3. Have not noticed any sound drop outs as of yet.

4. Pandora App now works again when Surround Sound Mode is selected.

5. My Arris DVR's UI now seems as fast and smooth as my Pace DVR's. TV and movie posters also seem to load faster.

This is very good news for those that have the Arris DVR and have been dealing with the slow and sluggish UI.

If I find anything else fixed or new I will let you know. But firmware 2.0 is one update everyone with a X1 DVR is going to want!

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by telcodad:

It was also announced on the Comcast Support Forum today that firmware revision 2.0 is starting to be pushed out to the XG1 DVR boxes now (and also to the companion boxes sometime later): »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· /2464617

Super interesting. I'd like to see release notes.

Yeah

BTW - From additional postings to that thread today, 2.0 is also supposed to add a "power saver mode" option and support for the new XR11 Voice Controlled remote (»Re: [X1-X2] New XR11v2 Voice Remote ).

To check the firmware version, they say to select in the menu Xfinity -> Gear -> About and then look at the "Receiver: Native version:" info [it should show either "1.3.4" (old) or "2.0" (new)].

So you will finally be able to turn your X1 box off with the remote.

scjohnson

join:2010-07-21
West Lafayette, IN
reply to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

Also interesting to see a note about Surround Sound, I wonder if this is a fix for the issues with the initial Pace XG1 hardware?

Yes, it is supposed to.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits
reply to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by telcodad:

It was also announced on the Comcast Support Forum today that firmware revision 2.0 is starting to be pushed out to the XG1 DVR boxes now (and also to the companion boxes sometime later): »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· /2464617

Yeah

BTW - From additional postings to that thread today, 2.0 is also supposed to add a "power saver mode" option and support for the new XR11 Voice Controlled remote (»Re: [X1-X2] New XR11v2 Voice Remote ).

To check the firmware version, they say to select in the menu Xfinity -> Gear -> About and then look at the "Receiver: Native version:" info [it should show either "1.3.4" (old) or "2.0" (new)].

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

It was also announced on the Comcast Support Forum today that firmware revision 2.0 is starting to be pushed out to the XG1 DVR boxes now (and also to the companion boxes sometime later):

said by ComcastNeal :
I've got GREAT news for those of you who've been following along with set top firmware rev's. 2.0 has started to push in small numbers to Pace XG1, Arris XG1, and Pace XG1v3 boxes (the v3 has always had 2.0 but is being updated). If you don't already see 2.0 running on your XG1 DVR boxes, you will soon! Enjoy!
:
2.0 is a "ground up" rebuild of the set top box firmware. You'll see improved performance in several areas including Surround Sound. It's a great platform for us to continue to evolve and improve the X1 experience!
:
Boxes will auto update. There is no need to reboot or intervene in order to obtain the update.

Also interesting to see a note about Surround Sound, I wonder if this is a fix for the issues with the initial Pace XG1 hardware?

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to telcodad
That "DVR MinData" feature sounds like a much needed feature. So that way things don't go totally offline.