uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to SpHeRe31459

Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers in Philly!

Hmm well here's the Cisco RNG200 specs »www.cisco.com/web/consumer/produ···ications
However the diagnostics page on the Cisco RNG200N's I have say its a Cisco 8600HDC »www.cisco.com/web/consumer/produ···hdc.html which has the 500GB internal drive.

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

said by Mike Wolf:

Hmm well here's the Cisco RNG200 specs »www.cisco.com/web/consumer/produ···ications
However the diagnostics page on the Cisco RNG200N's I have say its a Cisco 8600HDC »www.cisco.com/web/consumer/produ···hdc.html which has the 500GB internal drive.

Pretty sure that's basically the same hardware from looking at the specs, and given what your diag screen told you about the model number. The "RNG200N" is just the new naming scheme that Comcast wants used.
Either way though, notice the total lack of real information about its' graphical capabilities. Though on the RNG200N version of specs it basically says it cannot do true HD resolution graphics, it can only handle quarter HD resolution and it will then scale them.

quote:
Graphics engine

2.5 dimension graphics, up to 960 x 540 resolution, 32 bit (16 million) color
So that's what Comcast is up against when trying to get the X1 Guide software ported over to other platforms.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

True I did see that but I also notice MPEG-4 H.264 support.

I also notice the Cisco RNG200N specs say

Processors
Application/CPU 600 MHz (800 MIPS)
Video graphic Dual 400 MHz VLIW CPUs
Audio Dual 250 MHz DSP CPUs
DOCSIS 200 MHz CPU

Memory
CPU/Apps RAM 192 MB
Video graphics RAM 64 MB
Flash 2 MB
CPU NVM 16 KB

where as the Cisco 8600HDC specs pdf says

Processors
Application/CPU 700 MHz (1000 MIPS)
Video/Graphics Dual 400 MHz VLIW CPUs
Audio 250 MHz DSP CPU
DOCSIS CPU 333 MHz CPU
Network CPU 400 MHz CPU

Memory
Unified RAM 384 MB, 512MB (optional), see Note 2
Flash 2 MB
CPU NVM 16 KB

So maybe faster processor, faster Docsis processor, and more memory may bring faster performance?
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

X1 Upgrades

I've already noticed that we've been receiving X1 updates since I was installed a little over a week ago.

My XRE Server info and build has changed, as well as my STB Timestamp.

Anyone else in the Philly region notice this?

There are about 5 items listed in the ABOUT menu - not sure what all of them relate to just yet.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Could you describe how a customer would find these changes that you've noticed, and what an XRE server is and STB timestamp. Are you seeing this on the X1 equipment or on something else.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to JeepMatt

Matt, have any screen shots? None have ever been posted of diagnostic screens or about menu options.

Find any secret hidden firmware menu's or anything like that? Does it have the traditional power off, quickly hit menu (or select) and bring up some diagnostics?

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

2 edits

Click for full size
DVR Info
Click for full size
HD Box Menu
Here's the "About" Menu on the DVR:

The XRE Server Version has changed - I believe it was build 4029 previously. (Mike, i'm just dorky enough to remember looking at this when I first got the box a week ago and noticed the change...LOL)

Again - not sure what's "firmware" versus backroom infrastructure. But you can see the differences between the two STB's.

Also, this is NOT a hidden menu - it can be accessed directly from the box within the overall menu where you set the Picture resolution, etc.

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

4 edits

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here are some pics for you guys

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to JeepMatt

said by JeepMatt:

Here's the "About" Menu on the DVR:

The XRE Server Version has changed - I believe it was build 4029 previously. (Mike, i'm just dorky enough to remember looking at this when I first got the box a week ago and noticed the change...LOL)

Again - not sure what's "firmware" versus backroom infrastructure. But you can see the differences between the two STB's.

Also, this is NOT a hidden menu - it can be accessed directly from the box within the overall menu where you set the Picture resolution, etc.

cool!!
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to gate1975mlm

hmm for the "recently viewed" screen it says press D to clear. We don't have a D button on the remote for the Cisco/SA/Motorola dark silver remote so I wonder what button they are gonna replace it with on screen for the RNG equipment software rollout.

I'm very impressed by the layout and detail put into the guide, I do wish that all the channel logo's were correct though as some don't have the HD version of the logo. Such as the MLBHD channel logo or NFLHD channel logo compared to the NHL channel logo and NBA channel logo. A minor thing but noticeable.

More articles on X1 »bwone.com/comcast-x1-box-an-in-depth-look/

Has anyone caught an emergency alert on these boxes yet? I got a few customers wondering how it looks.

--

S10driver35

join:2009-09-29
New Castle, DE
reply to gate1975mlm

Just had my first hiccup with the X1 tonight. Watching Daily News Live on CSN Philly HD and noticed the video was lagging about 3 seconds behind the audio. Other channels seemed to be fine so I thought maybe it was a problem with the station. I noticed the same issue was happening on BIO HD then the screen froze when I went to switch back to CSN Philly and the DVR box itself became unresponsive. Unplugged the box, plugged it back in 30 seconds later and all is normal again.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to gate1975mlm

Re: X1 Upgrades

Thanks for the pics Matt and gate!

Looks really cool. There's so many channels these days that logos really do help from all the text just 'running together'.

Plus the YouTube video's I've seen make it look real polish. The way that the screen elements are animated and stuff (like you take for granted on modern operating systems and smart phones). Seems a bit more polished and a step up from Verizon and DirecTV's HD Guides.

Also notice the auto tune HD option. Makes the channels in the "800's" kind of moot doesn't it?

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

said by cypherstream:

Plus the YouTube video's I've seen make it look real polish. The way that the screen elements are animated and stuff (like you take for granted on modern operating systems and smart phones). Seems a bit more polished and a step up from Verizon and DirecTV's HD Guides.

It's not quite as smooth as it appears on the X1 DVR when running on other boxes:
»Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers in Philly!

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to gate1975mlm

any idea when pittsburgh can get x1? The chat people told me late quarter 4 here. That's almost a year away.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to cypherstream

Cypher-
It's right up there with FIOS's IMG, since I've had both recently.

I'm impressed. Especially when you change a channel, the banner along the bottom - very Apple TV. Almost TOO Apple TV...lol.

And yes - Channel logos are very cool.

The caller ID feature is definitely nicer than FIOS.

AutoTune is nice - the "channels in the 800's" banners were removed months ago in the 200 range. Another moot point.

Every day I use the X1 DVR - I love it more. On Demand is fantastic - not sure if they're providing it via another method - but it's almost instantaneous. Curious if they're using all of these open QAM's for the X1's functionality.
--

trythisfirst

@comcast.net

said by JeepMatt:

Curious if they're using all of these open QAM's for the X1's functionality.

No static video and on demand streams still come from headend through video channels. Everything else is Docsis.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to JeepMatt

Because the 2 way is DOCSIS, when you select a program or invoke transport controls, those messages must make it back to the headend much faster than the legacy ALOHA or DAVIC bandwidth constrained return path.

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
reply to gate1975mlm

GRATS MAN!!!!!

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
reply to JeepMatt

GRATS MAN! I'm glad you finally got it! Welcome to the X1 club!

dssbss

join:2013-02-09
Reading, PA
reply to gate1975mlm

Anyone know if the X1 is available in Berks County/Reading?

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to egeek84

EGeek-
Thanks. Yeah. 2 weeks with it now. I LOVE IT.

It really is an amazing interface and makes watching TV much more enjoyable. They nailed it with this thing.

Most of all, love the new On Demand layout, how fast it is - and that you can now 4x FF while watching something.

Also, PQ seems to be more sharp w/ the X1 as well. I know it has better processors, but maybe it's just my imagination. LOL.
--

jdoe7890

@comcast.net

I got the X1 for a week now. Might have to replace the box. The caller id pops up for the last customer and ids are still linked to that customer for facebook and pandora. The technicians have not been able to do anything.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Wouldn't all that be stored on the account so if you swap out the equipment it'd load up on whatever connects to it?

S10driver35

New Castle, DE

1 edit

X1 Billing with XF Complete Triple Play

So today I see I got my first billing statement since I upgraded to the Complete Triple Play package. Was shocked to see I was being billed separately for the X1 DVR and 2 additional HD boxes. Called customer service this morning and was told that because the X1 is not an anyroom DVR compatible box Xfinity is within their rights to charge me the additional $8.00 DVR service fee as well as $9.95 each for my two additional HD boxes. I even went as far as to read line by line what my package covers according to my bill with the representative (pointing out Anyroom DVR service or DVR service as well as up to 3 additional outlets) with no such luck. Emailed comcast_cares shortly thereafter and will see what I am told when they call.

Love the X1 but not sure if it's worth paying an extra $27.90 a month for.

*EDIT* So turns out that I will have to pay the extra $27.90 a month to keep the X1 service if I were to keep the Complete Triple Play bundle. Will now be looking at other Triple Play packages. Xfinity was nice enough to offer a $27.90 credit for this month's bill for the rep not explaining that the X1 is not eligible for inclusion in the Complete package.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

oh...my...god...

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to S10driver35

S10-
Since I worked with the Escalations team to finally get my X1 box, I was informed of what you just went through - that since I was in an Anyroom Triple Play - I would have to pay an extra $20/mo for the X1 boxes.

I figure i'll buy 1 less bottle of vodka every month..LOL.
--

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

said by JeepMatt:

S10-
Since I worked with the Escalations team to finally get my X1 box, I was informed of what you just went through - that since I was in an Anyroom Triple Play - I would have to pay an extra $20/mo for the X1 boxes.

Interesting, so Comcast's adverts criticizing DirecTV for its extra fees for their advanced DVR "The Genie" just became hypocritical... LOL. Oh well...

S10driver35

New Castle, DE
reply to JeepMatt

said by JeepMatt:

S10-

LOL Thanks for the insight Matt! Would have been nice to know about the extra charge ahead of time but I'm not going to give up the X1. Hopefully in a future update they will be able to activate anyroom functionality on the boxes.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

From what I read and posted on the X1 thread, there may be new X1 or X2 or X3 hardware that will bring anyroom functionality, and not the current X1 hardware that is out, I think.

Expand your moderator at work