Search similar:

uniqs

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

When is Comcast going to come out with wireless boxes like direct, dish, and att?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to gate1975mlm

MVM

to gate1975mlm
FYI - For X1 customers in Indiana, Comcast has finally launched X1 Cloud Technology with Live in-Home Streaming:

Comcast Launches X1 DVR With Cloud Technology And Live In-Home Streaming In Indiana
May 23, 2016
»www.wbiw.com/state/archi ··· iana.php
quote:
Comcast announced that its X1 customers across Indiana can now access their TV lineup on any connected screen in their home via X1 DVR with Cloud Technology.

Additionally, they will be able to download programs they have recorded on their digital video recorder (DVR) to watch on IP-enabled devices or stream them using an Internet connection, anytime and anywhere. The in-home streaming feature provides access to virtually the entire channel line-up on mobile devices and computers.

Comcast Public Relations Director Mike Wilson says it is value-add services like X1 DVR with Cloud Technology that have helped the company grow customers and increase loyalty in Indiana. ...
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

1 recommendation

webcobbler to telcodad

to telcodad
I am not surprised that 2015 Samsung's High End UHDTV's received a Firmware Update to enable HDR. They are 10 bit panels. And have Quantum Dot Tech.

This year's 2016 SUHD models all have 10 bit panels.. And all have the UHD Premium logo. Same for their 4K BluRay Player.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to PaulGo

MVM

to PaulGo
said by PaulGo:

When the high end 2015 Sony 4K TV were released they were promised a firmware update to enable HDR. This update was released in Feb. 2016.

OK, thanks, that's good to know.

PaulGo
join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

1 recommendation

PaulGo to telcodad

to telcodad
Yes they can. How well depends on the TV. When the high end 2015 Sony 4K TV were released they were promised a firmware update to enable HDR. This update was released in Feb. 2016.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to PaulGo

MVM

to PaulGo
said by PaulGo:

Many of the high end 2015 Samsung and Sony 4K models have gotten a firmware update for HDR.

Interesting. Can those 2015 LED/LCD panels provide/handle the greater brightness/contrast and color gamut?

PaulGo
join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

1 recommendation

PaulGo to telcodad

to telcodad
Many of the high end 2015 Samsung and Sony 4K models have gotten a firmware update for HDR.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to telcodad

to telcodad
Yes. I believe HDR10 is more popular, and the fact that Dolby Vision is very expensive to be certified for. IIRC.

It is kind of like HEVC and VP9. Everything is coded for Ultra HD and higher resolutions (4k and 8K) in HEVC. As we all know Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, UltraFLix etc. except for YouTube. Also, with their VP7 and 8, no one used their codec either. At least not in the mainstream aspect, like MPEG4, and now HEVC is.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by webcobbler:

There are no 1080p TVs with HDR capability, or even 10 bit panels. They are all 8 bit. Hell, one can't even get a 120 or 240 refresh rate HDTV anymore, like you could get 5 years ago.

Yeah, it seems that you need to purchase one of the new, 2016 model, 4K TVs to get HDR capability.

Whether all of these 4K/HDR sets can successfully upconvert 1080p/HDR to pseudo-4K with HDR is my question.

However, there are currently two competing HDR implementations - "HDR 10" and "Dolby Vision":

Dolby Vision vs HDR 10 - what's the difference?
We go through the differences between the two standards seen in today's Ultra HD HDR televisions

By Richard Easton, Expert Reviews (UK) - May 11 2016
»www.expertreviews.co.uk/ ··· fference
quote:
... Unlike some of the consumer technology face-offs of the past, picking sides isn't quite so straightforward when it comes to Dolby Vision vs HDR 10. This is because while Dolby Vision requires everything - from the content, to the player, to the screen - to all support Dolby Vision; such players and televisions will still be able to play HDR 10 content as well, which in theory gives you the best of both worlds.

However, it's HDR 10 support, rather than Dolby Vision, that's required as part of the Ultra HD Blu-ray official specifications, so on paper it has the upper hand in terms of content.

Most of the differences between the competing standards arise around color bit depth and brightness. Dolby Vision films are mastered in up to 12-bit color, whereas HDR 10 is mastered for 10-bit color, hence the name. Films are color graded specifically for Dolby Vision and studios have to provide artistic approval of Dolby's mastering.

Dolby Vision also aims to master films for 10,000 nits of brightness, which to put things in context, is vastly higher than how standard Blu-ray and broadcast television are mastered, which is just 100 nits. HDR 10, on the other hand, masters for around 1,000 nits depending on the content. The extra brightness of HDR televisions is in part how they are able to produce their higher dynamic range through heightened contrast.

At present, there aren't any displays capable of 10,000 nits, so most Dolby Vision content is currently typically mastered to around 4,000 nits. ...

Now, as far as which HDR standard that the Xi5 and Xi6 will support? I think the following quotes point to "HDR10":

quote:
Samsung and Panasonic both offer Ultra HD Premium televisions supporting HDR10 in 2016
quote:
Comcast Corp. is planning to introduce in 2016 a set-top, the Xi6, that supports Samsung HDR sets, ...
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

1 edit

webcobbler to telcodad

to telcodad
Yes, I agree that just the 4k resolution bump itself is not worth it over 1080p. But 4k with HDR is the main selling point, IMO. Especially that the UHD BluRays are being done with HDR, too. When I get a 4KTV, it will be HDR. No question in my mind about that.

I just do not see the effort in coming out with a regular 1080p STB with HDR. Instead, just come out with a 4k STB with HDR, ( with 60fps, because 4k Broadcast channels are shown in that. Not in 30 ). That is where the tech need to be. And is more future proof.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to webcobbler

MVM

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

However, I do not quite understand 1080p and HDR. To me it does not make sense to just have HDR, but not 4K.

For most people to notice the additional resolution of 4K/UHD over 1080p HD, the TV screen must be fairly large in size, 55 inches or more, and they must be sitting fairly close to it also.

What actually makes the most visual difference with the latest (model 2016) 4K/UHD TV sets is their HDR capability.

So it's actually the use of HDR that makes these new 4K sets/programs look better, not their increased resolution.

See:

CES 2016: 1080p With HDR Trumps UHD/4K
»www.allaboutcircuits.com ··· -uhd-4k/
said by webcobbler:

There are no 1080p TVs with HDR capability, or even 10 bit panels. They are all 8 bit. Hell, one can't even get a 120 or 240 refresh rate HDTV anymore, like you could get 5 years ago.

Yeah, it seems that you need to purchase one of the new, 2016 model, 4K TVs to get HDR capability.

Whether all of these 4K/HDR sets can successfully upconvert 1080p/HDR to pseudo-4K with HDR is my question.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to telcodad

to telcodad
I totally get Ultra HD and HDR. 4KTVs have 10 bit panels and 120 refresh rates, to take advantage of HDR. That is the UHDTV I'll get, when I do.

However, I do not quite understand 1080p and HDR. To me it does not make sense to just have HDR, but not 4K. There are no 1080p TVs with HDR capability, or even 10 bit panels. They are all 8 bit. Hell, one can't even get a 120 or 240 refresh rate HDTV anymore, like you could get 5 years ago.

Plus with the compression of 10:1 HD MPEG-4 channels per QAM slot, HDR would not be at its full potential.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

3 edits

telcodad to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

Yawn...i've been waiting for the 4k box.... it was supposed to be out last Fall..

Well, Comcast says the non-4K, HDR-capable, 1080p Xi5 box will launch in July:

INTX 2016: Comcast Sets July 4 Debut for First HDR-Capable Box
Comcast CTO Tony Werner says he has more interest in high dynamic range than 4K

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - May 18, 2016
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· x/405030
quote:
Comcast plans to start shipping its first box with on-board High Dynamic Range (HDR) capabilities on July 4, according to Tony Werner, Comcast’s EVP and chief technology officer, said here Wednesday during a session with other industry CTOs.

Werner said he has more personal interest in HDR, a technology that enables brighter and more colorful pixels, than 4K, a format that packs about four times the number of pixels than today’s HDTV images.

He said upconverted 1080p looks good, but HDR makes it “noticeably better.”

Here at the show, Comcast showed off the Xi5, its first HDR-capable box that will be wireless and work with the company’s IP-capable X1 platform (»www.multichannel.com/new ··· r/404955). Comcast is also developing the Xi6, which will support both HDR and 4K. ...

EDIT: Also on the FierceCable site now:

Comcast mulls selling HDR-capable Xi5 at retail
By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable - May 18, 2016
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 16-05-18
quote:
As it continues to try to distance itself from the leased set-top business, Comcast is considering making its upcoming Xi5 box available for retail sale, a company rep told FierceCable.

It's unclear if the device would be sold just through Comcast's Xfinity Stores, or if it would be distributed to other retail channels, like say, Best Buy. It's also uncertain what the price point would be.

The Xi5 is a next-generation set-top for Comcast's cloud-based X1 video platform. It's a diminutive IP client device, supporting High Dynamic Range (HDR), but not 4K/UltraHD. It contains no hard drive.

The Xi5, which is currently being tested in Comcast employee homes, is set for wider deployment this summer, in time for Comcast's NBCUniversal division to broadcast the Rio Olympics' Opening Ceremonies in 4K and HDR.

Comcast said the Xi6 - which is capable of both 4K and HDR - will roll out within 12 months of the Xi5's deployment. ...

EDIT2: Karl now has a news item up on this: »Comcast to Ship HDR-Capable (But Not 4K) Set Top Box in July [24] comments

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Yawn...i've been waiting for the 4k box.... it was supposed to be out last Fall..

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

Xi5 on display at INTX 2016
said by telcodad:

FYI - An update on the Comcast's latest Xi box plans:

(It seems to me that they must have held back on actually releasing the Xi4, and instead will just skip over it and release the Xi5 and Xi6.)

Comcast wants to launch HDR-capable Xi6 set-top in time for Summer Olympics, insider says
By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable - January 7, 2016
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 16-01-07

quote:
Comcast product executives are quietly hoping to accelerate the launch of the company's HDR- and 4K-capable Xi6 set-top in time for NBCUniversal's coverage of the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, a source close to the device's development told FierceCable.

Such an acceleration would modify Comcast's current plan, which is to release the HDR-capable Xi5 in spring/summer, while debuting the Xi6 -- which is capable of both video standards -- later on in 2016.

Comcast representatives had no comment for FierceCable. The source spoke on condition of anonymity. ...

An update from this week's INTX show:

INTX 2016: Comcast Previews New Consumer Gear
Wireless HDR-capable companion box, network extenders, sleeker voice remote on show

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - May 16, 2016
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· r/404955
quote:
Comcast is using this week's INTX confab here to show off several new consumer products that will debut soon, including a new wireless video client device, called the Xi5, that will support High Dynamic Range (HDR), a format that enables a richer image through brighter and more colorful pixels.

That device (shown here) will work in tandem with the XB6, a multi-service gigabit wireless gateway that will also support the MSO's Xfinity Home service. The Xi5 is currently in small field trials. ...

Also on the Light Reading site now: »www.lightreading.com/vid ··· d/723442
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

FYI:

INTX 2016: Roberts: Comcast, X1 Ready for Olympics
Comcast chief says ratings for Rio fest will outdo London

By Mike Farrell, Multichannel News - May 16, 2016
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· s/404958
quote:
... The Olympics are scheduled for Aug.5-Aug. 21 in Rio de Janiero, the first "live" Olympics - the first in the Eastern Time Zone since the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. [Comcast chairman and CEO Brian] Roberts, at the INTX Show General Session here on Monday, said Comcast is pulling all of the stops out for the event – its X1 platform will offer apps that direct viewers to streaming content as well as specific events, customers can search the Games by event, athlete and country as well as view medal events through a Gold Zone app on the user interface. ...
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to scjohnson

Premium Member

to scjohnson
said by scjohnson:

said by SpHeRe31459:

Hold exit down for a little more than five seconds.
Press the down arrow twice.
Press 2.

These are still the proper commands to open the diagnostics.

Doesn't work for me. All it does pop up the Live icon and DVR buffer timeline screen multiple times rapidly.

scjohnson
join:2010-07-21
Chicago, IL
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

scjohnson to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
said by SpHeRe31459:

Press 2.

These are still the proper commands to open the diagnostics.
said by gate1975mlm:

This does not work any longer

Bummer, but not very surprised.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to scjohnson

Premium Member

to scjohnson
said by scjohnson:

Settings, Preferences, General, Background darkness, press 'down' on the popup window and it lets you select a background picture.

This does not work any longer
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
I've joined the X1 crowd. I've been waiting until I moved to jump in.

I was pleased to see the installer brought an XG1-A. Less happy I have sluggish RNG150 in the bedroom, might look into see if I can swap it with a XG2 at some point, or maybe just an Xi3.

Anyway, trying to bring up the diagnostic screen to see my SNR (mostly just curious), all the instructions I can find seem to be for the older guide software (pre-X2 version), the key combo doesn't work for me.

The instructions are all something along the lines of:

Press 2.

All this does for me is repeatedly popup the "Live" circle over the video...

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

FYI - A Comcast Voices blog post today about some of the new features and enhancements being added to the X1 platform this month:

New on X1: Activation Made Even Easier for Customers
Comcast Voices blog - April 7, 2016
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· perience
quote:
This month's round of updates focused on making it easier to discover new programming as well as streamlining the viewing experience - getting you to the content you want to watch more quickly and efficiently. Check out a few of the highlights:

On Demand Only Networks in Search
:
Auto Extend UI Enhancements
:
Kids Zone TV Listings
:
Simplified Activation Verification
:
Comcast Labs: Default Guide View

Also on the MCN site:

Comcast Simplifies X1 Activations
One of latest enhancements to MSO's next-gen video platform

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - April 7, 2016
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· s/403927
telcodad

2 edits

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

FYI - Comcast is now inviting X1 users to sign up for a beta trial of their new EA Games service:

Game On: Experience a New Way to Play On Your TV
Comcast Voices blog - July 14, 2015
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· -your-tv

EDIT: Karl has a news item up on this now: »Comcast Beta: Use Your X1 Cable Box To Play EA Games [16] comments

And also an article on the MCN site about it: »www.multichannel.com/new ··· e/392165

Oh well, that didn't last too long: »Source: Comcast, EA Scrapping Plans to Stream Games Via Set Top [17] comments
quote:
EA and Comcast are giving up on their joint venture to stream video games via your set top box, company insiders familiar with the project tell DSLReports.com. EA and Comcast had been conducting trials for such a service since 2013, and last summer Comcast announced in a blog post that the tests were going well, and a launch was imminent. But after beta participants found the service lacking, the companies appear to be walking away from the planned service, an insider tells DSLReports.com.

"Comcast is announcing the shutting down of the XFINITY Games Beta Trial as of April 12, 2016 with no intention of launching a commercial product," the source tells me. ...

EDIT: The MCN site also has this item up on this now:

Comcast, EA to End X1 Gaming Trial
Comcast says its interest in gaming via X1 platform remains high

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - March 30, 2016
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· l/403719
quote:
Comcast confirmed that it and Electronic Arts will close down a beta service that streamed games to X1 set-tops and let customers control the games via tablets and smartphones on April 12, but said the MSO remains interested in offering games via the platform.
:
"Our Xfinity Games trial was a beta that we used to experiment with gaming applications on X1. We learned a lot and our curiosity and interest in gaming on the X1 platform remains high and we'll continue to experiment." ...
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

Comcast added over a million customers to their X1 platform in the last quarter of 2015, so that about 30% of their video subscribers are on it now:

Comcast: 30% of Video Base on X1
Added 1.1 Million Subs to Platform in Q4

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - February 3, 2016
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· 1/397087

Comcast's continuing aggressive promotion/bundling of their X1 platform will likely result in net video service subscriber adds for this quarter also:

Comcast X1 Promotions Seen Boosting Q1 Video Additions
By Reinhardt Krause, Investor's Business Daily - March 28, 2016
»www.investors.com/news/t ··· dditions
quote:
... "We are increasing our Q1 video net add assumptions to 32,000 from (minus) 1,000 on the back of recent commentary," wrote [Analyst Amy] Yong. "Management continues to reinvigorate the product set by rolling out X1 double/triple play starting at $80 per month and $90 per month, respectively. Other current initiatives include Xfinity Internet+ Premium Streaming for $45 per month." ...
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

FYI - For those "March Madness" fans, there's this Comcast Voices blog post today about the launch of a "Basketball Extras" feature being added to the X1 Sports app:

X1 Takes You Off The Sidelines and Into the Tournament
Comcast Voices blog - March 17, 2016
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· urnament

Also on the MCN site: »www.multichannel.com/new ··· s/403402
telcodad

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

FYI:

Comcast Accelerates X1 Rollout
Deploying More than 40,000 Boxes Per Day

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - October 27, 2015
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· t/394854

Comcast added over a million customers to their X1 platform in the last quarter of 2015, so that about 30% of their video subscribers are on it now:

Comcast: 30% of Video Base on X1
Added 1.1 Million Subs to Platform in Q4

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - February 3, 2016
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· 1/397087
randian
join:2009-10-10
Delray Beach, FL

1 recommendation

randian to telcodad

to telcodad
What's the point of a 4k box when Comcast has just about the fewest regular HD channels of any of the majors?
jaxdan3
join:2012-01-08
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

jaxdan3 to telcodad

to telcodad
ComcastTeds just posted the following update on the official Comcast forum regarding the Pace XG1V1:
UPDATE: Customers with Pace XG1v1 DVRs can now record up to 5 shows at once. With this update, there is no longer a dedicated tuner for live TV, allowing all tuners to be used for DVR recordings. Previously, customers could record up to 4 shows on these boxes. There are no changes to the other X1 DVR set-top boxes, which can record up to 6 shows at once.
»forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1 ··· /2555796

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

The latest on Comcast's UHD/4K X1 set top plans:

Comcast prepping HDR-capable Xi6 set-top for 2016
By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable - October 27, 2015
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 15-10-27

quote:
Comcast will follow up the launch of the 4K-capable Xi4 set top later this year with the 2016 deployment of an even more advanced device, the Xi6, that features high dynamic range (HDR) technology.

"We actually think there's an opportunity to offer an even more enhanced experience combining 4K with HDR," said Matthew Strauss, executive VP and GM of video services for Comcast Cable, in an interview with FierceCable.
:
Comcast's deployment of a dedicated 4K set-top, the Xi4, will open up the range of 4K display devices Comcast customers can use. Strauss said the Xi4 is currently being tested by Comcast employees, and remains on schedule for wide deployment in the next few months. ...

FYI - An update on the Comcast's latest Xi box plans:

(It seems to me that they must have held back on actually releasing the Xi4, and instead will just skip over it and release the Xi5 and Xi6.)

Comcast wants to launch HDR-capable Xi6 set-top in time for Summer Olympics, insider says
By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable - January 7, 2016
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 16-01-07
quote:
Comcast product executives are quietly hoping to accelerate the launch of the company's HDR- and 4K-capable Xi6 set-top in time for NBCUniversal's coverage of the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, a source close to the device's development told FierceCable.

Such an acceleration would modify Comcast's current plan, which is to release the HDR-capable Xi5 in spring/summer, while debuting the Xi6 -- which is capable of both video standards -- later on in 2016.

Comcast representatives had no comment for FierceCable. The source spoke on condition of anonymity. ...
telcodad

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

FYI - A new Comcast Voices blog post today about the X1 platform:

X1 from Xfinity: Another Year of Setting New Standards in Television
Comcast Voices blog - December 18, 2015
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· ncements
telcodad

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

FYI - A Comcast Voices blog post today about the latest feature/enhancement to the X1 platform:

Comcast Adds Personal Notifications to X1 with IFTTT Integration
Comcast Voices blog - December 3, 2015
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· platform

Also on the MCN site: »www.multichannel.com/new ··· s/395687

EDIT: Karl has news item up about this now: »Comcast's New Cable Box Can Now Nag You to Wash the Dishes [20] comments