Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cabby

join:2013-03-25
reply to joejoejeo

Re: What Comcast's proposed acquisition of TWC would mean for X1

said by joejoejeo:

tell them to put in the appointment and tech notes that you want want the Arris XG1 if they have it. also tell them you want to swop out your non-dvr boxes for X1 companion boxes.

We're not off to a good start. I logged in to my account to check my bill and noticed "No Scheduled Appointments". I immediately called and it's as if I never spoke to anyone yesterday, so had to start all over and my date got pushed almost a week out.... Anyhow, I asked he note the Arris XG1 as a preference in my account, which he said he did, but he also sounded like he's never heard of Arris and may have just been humoring me. As with all tech support, I knew a lot more about X1 than he did and I called the X1 tech support line direct. So disappointing start so far... good thing I noticed that or I would have been sitting home from 3 to 5PM for nothing.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to SpHeRe31459

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Cabby:

My companion boxes are already the RNG150N I believe, will they not be swaping those?

They will swap them, the RNG150N's telcodad is referring to are special Pace made models that are loaded with the X1 software.

Yes, thanks for clarifying that. It can be a bit confusing when there are Motorola, Cisco, and Pace boxes all designated as "RNG150N."

Cabby See Profile see the "Cable Boxes" section on this FAQs page: »Comcast Cable TV FAQ »What is X1 and X2?

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to Cabby

said by Cabby:

said by telcodad:

I don't have X1 (yet), so the X1 users in this forum can give you better tips on the install than me, but one thing I would say is to check to make sure that that all the companion (RNG150N) boxes are communicating/working OK with the XG1 DVR before the tech leaves your home.

As far as the XG1 DVR Box, as has been mentioned in this thread, I'd say to try to get one of the new ARRIS-made ones: »Re: [X1-X2] Obtaining X1 with existing double play package

My companion boxes are already the RNG150N I believe, will they not be swaping those?

They will swap them, the RNG150N's telcodad is referring to are special Pace made models that are loaded with the X1 software.

Cabby

reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

I don't have X1 (yet), so the X1 users in this forum can give you better tips on the install than me, but one thing I would say is to check to make sure that that all the companion (RNG150N) boxes are communicating/working OK with the XG1 DVR before the tech leaves your home.

As far as the XG1 DVR Box, as has been mentioned in this thread, I'd say to try to get one of the new ARRIS-made ones: »Re: [X1-X2] Obtaining X1 with existing double play package

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN
reply to Cabby

tell them to put in the appointment and tech notes that you want want the Arris XG1 if they have it. also tell them you want to swop out your non-dvr boxes for X1 companion boxes.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to Cabby

said by Cabby:

With all your expertise, what should I be on the look out for regarding the install? My house is only 2 years old and wired well, so I don't anticipate any issues there. But I do see a lot of back and forth over hardware manufacturers, which one would I perfer if given the choice?

Cabby

reply to telcodad

I finally got an appointment next week to swap all my equipment and "upgrade" to X1 ($55 install fee).

I'm an existing Triple Play Customer with AnyRoom DVR. I have 1 main DVR box that feed 3 "client" boxes in other rooms.

With all your expertise, what should I be on the look out for regarding the install? My house is only 2 years old and wired well, so I don't anticipate any issues there. But I do see a lot of back and forth over hardware manufacturers, which one would I perfer if given the choice?

TIA!

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to joejoejeo

said by joejoejeo:

If anybody who had the pace xg1 and now has the arris xg1 please give us a review of the differences between the boxes and the x1 guide thanks

This post over on the Comcast Support forum mentions some: »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Latest-···5#M10079

EDIT: Another post mentioning the differences by the same author in another thread: »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-Audi···7#M10716

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to telcodad

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

said by telcodad:

said by MrJitters:

FWIW Dept: Over on the support forum there is a poster that claims to have the Arris box and has stated that his dropouts stopped with the box. He claims to have cashed in a favor to get one, whatever that means.

FYI - I found the thread on the Comcast Support forum that he's talking about:

Latest X1 cable box
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Latest-···/2033973

From post: »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Latest-···5#M10079
quote:
I admit I pulled in a favor to get an Arris box. The Arris box is better in many regards, the big one being it completely eliminates the notorious audio drop outs. ...

Good to know, I was pretty sure it was hardware issue with the Pace box.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to gate1975mlm

said by gate1975mlm:

The ARRIS XG1 are the small and powerful XI3 correct?

The Xi3 is a totally different class of hardware from the XG1.

The XG1 is the technical designation for what we just commonly call an "X1 DVR".
Xi3 is a designation for a forthcoming IP-only client box.
»Comcast Cable TV FAQ »What is X1 and X2?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to MrJitters

said by MrJitters:

FWIW Dept: Over on the support forum there is a poster that claims to have the Arris box and has stated that his dropouts stopped with the box. He claims to have cashed in a favor to get one, whatever that means.

FYI - I found the thread on the Comcast Support forum that he's talking about:

Latest X1 cable box
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Latest-···/2033973

From post: »forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Latest-···5#M10079
quote:
I admit I pulled in a favor to get an Arris box. The Arris box is better in many regards, the big one being it completely eliminates the notorious audio drop outs. ...

MrJitters

join:2003-11-29
East Montpelier, VT
reply to gate1975mlm

FWIW Dept. over on the support forum there is a poster that claims to have the Arris box and has stated that his dropouts stopped with the box. He claims to have cashed in a favor to get one, whatever that means.

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN
reply to telcodad

If anybody who had the pace xg1 and now has the arris xg1 please give us a review of the differences between the boxes and the x1 guide thanks

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to JeepMatt

I wonder if these also have the audio dropout issue as the pace?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to gate1975mlm

said by JeepMatt:

said by gate1975mlm:

Negative. They're basically the same as the Pace XG1. From my understanding they are out in limited #'s.

Yeah, a few people (like GmDude66 See Profile) have reported getting the ARRIS-made ones. They have a different rear panel layout also, see: »Re: [X1-X2] Obtaining X1 with existing double play package

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to gate1975mlm

said by gate1975mlm:

Negative. They're basically the same as the Pace XG1. From my understanding they are out in limited #'s.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to telcodad

I don't think new ARRIS XG1 are available yet.

But it would be great if they don't have that Audio drop out issue that the Pace box suffers from

gustavenla68

join:2011-02-24
Carlisle, PA
reply to JeepMatt

said by JeepMatt:

Telco - good catch. I fixed it to be Pace.

Gustaven - looks like you have a Motorola box - so your STB timestamp is a little different than most of us. The majority of us are on Pace DVR's - and have the build that BigBear mentioned.

Other than that - you appear to have the latest updates.

Thanks. Can you edit series record settings without your box locking up?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to JeepMatt

said by JeepMatt:

No problem. Has it been confirmed that the audio dropouts are not occurring with the new ARRIS-made XG1 boxes?

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

Gustaven - looks like you have a Motorola box - so your STB timestamp is a little different than most of us. The majority of us are on Pace DVR's - and have the build that BigBear mentioned.

Other than that - you appear to have the latest updates.
--

BigBearsFan

join:2009-08-01
Galesburg, IL
reply to gustavenla68

our stb timestamp is Thur Dec 12 22:20:02 UTC 2013

gustavenla68

join:2011-02-24
Carlisle, PA
reply to gate1975mlm

Can any one tell me the latest software version for the box? Both of my boxes lock up every time I try to modify a recording. A tech came out and said it probably a software bug and to wait for an update to the software.

Guide Version: New
Release Version: xappl-XRE.37P7
XRE Server Version: 1.37.07 01/29/2014 15:00
XRE Protocol Version: 2.8.0
Reciever: Native version: 1.3.1
STB Timestamp: Fri Dec 13 00:57:43 UTC 2013
STB Version: MX011AN_1.3.1p1s1_PRODse

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT

1 recommendation

reply to woodchuckchu

said by woodchuckchu :

I'm quite certain there were heavy deployment moratoriums for anything that may impact the Olympics

Well that very well may be. I cannot question that. However, when it comes to Comcast, there always seems to be some sort of a heavy deployment moratorium.

It was Comcast themselves that hyped the big things that were to happen prior to the Olympics. Not us. Given all those YouTube videos showing the great things to come with X2, many beside myself were expecting those things. As JeepMatt said it was a let down to us testers, that's all.

Most of us here dish out between 200-300 clams a month, if not more to Comcast. That there gives us a vested interest in what we pay for. Just sayin'

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to JeepMatt

said by JeepMatt:

For the audio dropouts - I've been told this is a software / hardware issue with the Arris boxes.

While it sucks, if you change your setting to Stereo instead of Surround - the drops will go away (I've proven this - b/c they became annoying as hell).

You have one of the new ARRIS XG1 boxes? I thought you got your XG1 early on when only Pace-made ones were available.

woodchuckchu

@comcast.net
reply to MrJitters

Honestly, did you really think Comcast was going to deploy a major software update to a somewhat unstable platform in the weeks leading up to an event which is a significant PR and money machine for the company?

I'm quite certain there were heavy deployment moratoriums for anything that may impact the Olympics in the weeks leading up to it. You just don't do major upgrades before big events... you do them during the time when the impact of a failure would be the least catastrophic.

For audio dropouts... I've noticed they lessened on my X1 box. I get maybe 1 an hour after the last few software updates. Previously, they were so frequent I had to break out an optical cable (as if my setup needs more wires!).

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to MrJitters

For the audio dropouts - I've been told this is a software / hardware issue with the Pace boxes.

While it sucks, if you change your setting to Stereo instead of Surround - the drops will go away (I've proven this - b/c they became annoying as hell).

Jitters - and you're right. To the majority of the customer base - the X1 they're seeing now IS completely new - but yeah, a bit of a let down to us "testers"

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT
reply to wolf

said by wolf :

Whatever happened to all that exciting new stuff that was going to be rolled out in time for the Winter Olympics?

Yeah, silly me. When I heard that I thought part of that exiting new stuff we were getting was the "real" X2 with the customizable dashboard, more apps, cloud storage, etc. Instead, we get the same "preview" guide most of us were already beta testing for two months. LMAO. I can laugh at myself. I was silly enough to fall for the line of crap so the joke is on me really.

Meanwhile, like you, the audio dropouts continue, the remote lag issue continues. It is what it is I guess.

wolf

@comcast.net
reply to MrJitters

Whatever happened to all that exciting new stuff that was going to be rolled out in time for the Winter Olympics? My X1 (X2) satellite box can't even keep up with my remote clicks & we're still getting those periodic audio dropouts in HD, even on the main DVR, and with both live & recorded programs.

CC, way to meet expectations! Not even looking for anything groundbreaking or god forbid, industry-leading (you're only the largest company of its kind & one of the 50 biggest Corporations in the world). I can't help thinking that the TWC acquisition won't bring many improvements. It'll be an already-too-big/unmanageable company getting even bigger.

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT
reply to JeepMatt

said by JeepMatt:

Wait until the TWC customers lose 70 HD channels after the acquisition.

Well, any channel associated with NBC Universal they will be sure to get in the best possible picture quality.

All the while, my recording light works when it feels like it and my remote has these 15 second failures to communicate, then it will catch up to all those commands. Just lovely.

Welcome aboard TWC. May the force be with you.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to MrJitters

said by MrJitters:

Comcast makes it sound like they are the proverbial knight in shining armor coming to the rescue of those poor technology backward TWC subscribers.

Wait until the TWC customers lose 70 HD channels after the acquisition.
--