telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

FYI - Special X1 platform and live mobile streaming features for this month's NCAA basketball tournament:

Xfinity Gives Customers More Ways to Watch March Hoops
Comcast Voices blog - March 13, 2017
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· ess-2017
quote:
Brackets are filled out and the road to the 2017 NCAA Tournament has begun. This year, Xfinity has its customers covered with multiple ways to watch and experience one of the greatest annual sporting events. From special features on X1 to live streaming at home or on-the-go, we’re giving our customers an unparalleled view of this year’s tournament. ...
Also on MCN: »www.multichannel.com/new ··· s/411485
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer to telcodad

to telcodad
Thank you, telcodad....that helps explain it.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

2 recommendations

telcodad to bushleaguer

MVM

to bushleaguer
said by bushleaguer:

Given the number of sets we have (5) and the size of my family I would probably need 2 DVR's. I was told by the sales rep I spoke to that their system does not allow for that but I found an FAQ page on Comcast's website that suggests getting two if you want more storage....strange how they get their messaging mixed.

There is the non-DVR, 4-tuner-equiped XG2 box that can be used to support extra client boxes:

said by Colin:

The XG1 is the DVR box on the X1 platform. The XG2 is the non-DVR box. Generally, each home will be given one XG box as part of an X1 install.

Additional boxes are model Xi3 or XiD. These are client boxes which use tuners from the XG1 or XG2. Standard practice is to provide one XG box and up to three Xi boxes before adding a second XG box. Each additional box is $9.95/mo (additional XG1 boxes are $19.95/mo, since they expand your DVR storage).

Some examples:
A home with no DVR and 4 outlets would receive one XG2 and three XiDs.
A home with DVR and 5 outlets would receive one XG1, three XiDs, and one XG2.
A home with DVR and 2 outlets would receive one XG1 and one XiD.

bushleaguer
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer to telcodad

to telcodad
Thank you for the clarification.

Given the number of sets we have (5) and the size of my family I would probably need 2 DVR's. I was told by the sales rep I spoke to that their system does not allow for that but I found an FAQ page on Comcast's website that suggests getting two if you want more storage....strange how they get their messaging mixed.

Can I, say, get 1 X1 DVR and one of the boxes that has access to the DVR and then other boxes that don't have access to the DVR (and thus won't take up tuner space)?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to bushleaguer

MVM

to bushleaguer
Click for full size
X1 Client Box Tuner Usage
said by bushleaguer:

I understand that the X1 DVR allows you to record up to 6 programs at once. Here's what I need to know...how does that work with other boxes that are connected (that is, that can access the DVR content) to the X1 DVR. If you have 1 DVR and 5 standard boxes that can access the DVR content, can you record 6 shows while still watching different programming on the other 5 boxes?

Like with Tivo, the system I have now (Verizon Fios Quantum) is set up so that any boxes linked to a DVR takes up a tuner and thus reduces the amount of shows that you can record at once unless those boxes are tuned to the stations you want to record.

Yes, it works the same way with an X1 DVR.

Here's a chart from the Xi3 client box Job Aid document (»Re: [Comcast Equip] Just a question about X1 ).
bushleaguer
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
Hi, I have a question in regards to the X1 DVR that I've asked to Comcast and have gotten two different answers on and would like to ask someone who actually has the equipment.

I understand that the X1 DVR allows you to record up to 6 programs at once. Here's what I need to know...how does that work with other boxes that are connected (that is, that can access the DVR content) to the X1 DVR. If you have 1 DVR and 5 standard boxes that can access the DVR content, can you record 6 shows while still watching different programming on the other 5 boxes? Like with Tivo, the system I have now (Verizon Fios Quantum) is set up so that any boxes linked to a DVR takes up a tuner and thus reduces the amount of shows that you can record at once unless those boxes are tuned to the stations you want to record.

Any clarity on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

FYI - Along with Netflix and Sling TV, Comcast now plans to also launch a YouTube app on the X1 platform later this year:

Comcast to Launch YouTube on Xfinity X1
YouTube will be integrated into X1 and made accessible via the X1 Voice Remote later this year.

Comcast press release - February 27, 2017
»corporate.comcast.com/ne ··· inity-x1
quote:
Comcast and Google today announced a deal that will launch the YouTube app on Xfinity X1 across the country later this year. X1 customers will be able to easily browse and seamlessly access over the Internet the entire YouTube catalog of billions of videos alongside the live, on demand, DVR and web programming included with their Xfinity TV subscription.

"We are excited to partner with Google to bring YouTube to X1 and provide our customers easier access to all the content they love in one place," said Sam Schwartz, Chief Business Development Officer, Comcast Cable. "By integrating YouTube into the X1 experience, viewers can simply and effortlessly access videos on any topic, from cooking, to beauty and fitness with just their voice."

X1 customers will be able to access YouTube in the Apps and Networks sections of X1, and via featured YouTube content that will be integrated throughout Xfinity On Demand. And for the first time, YouTube viewers will enjoy universal voice control with the X1 voice remote ...
Also on MCN: »www.multichannel.com/new ··· s/411133

EDIT: Karl has a news item up on this now: »It's 2017, and Comcast Just Brought YouTube to its X1 Cable Box [10] comments
telcodad

telcodad to gtb

MVM

to gtb
said by gtb:

said by andyross:

Comcast can simply give you another remote, most likely with no questions asked.

The old silver/grey remotes were (mostly?) untracked, as I recall, and you likely could get a replacement by asking nicely. The new X1 remotes are tracked and inventoried on your account as they represent real money (or at least more real than the old silver/grey ones), and if you do not return them when you end service you get billed.

The bigger problem is that if the petitioner decides to cancel service they are going to have to take candy (I mean a XR5) from a baby to return it. I am not sure that will end well.

Or just purchase one from Amazon then: »www.amazon.com/Xfinity-C ··· SGSKR56/

scjohnson
join:2010-07-21
Chicago, IL
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

2 recommendations

scjohnson to gtb

to gtb
said by gtb:

if you do not return them when you end service you get billed.

I have plenty of old XR5s and XR11s that were not requested back when I ended my TV service, and I have not been billed for them, so this may vary by area.
gtb
Premium Member
join:2016-05-16
united state

gtb to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

Comcast can simply give you another remote, most likely with no questions asked.

The old silver/grey remotes were (mostly?) untracked, as I recall, and you likely could get a replacement by asking nicely. The new X1 remotes are tracked and inventoried on your account as they represent real money (or at least more real than the old silver/grey ones), and if you do not return them when you end service you get billed.

The bigger problem is that if the petitioner decides to cancel service they are going to have to take candy (I mean a XR5) from a baby to return it. I am not sure that will end well.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Jon Booska

MVM

to Jon Booska
said by Jon Booska :

Feel pretty stupid asking such a seemingly simple question when others have more serious problems BUT...... I have a 3 year old daughter that has adopted my Xfinity XR5 RF X1 remote in place of her "blankie". Is there ANY WAY I can set a lock code to keep her from changing everything on my entertainment center by pushing buttons whenever she's snuggling with it ALL DAY?? It was cute at first but....... Yeah, please help!!

Comcast can simply give you another remote, most likely with no questions asked. Remove the batteries from the one stolen as a toy, and just use the new one and try to keep it in a safe place. Or maybe find something smelly to spray it with that won't damage it, but she won't like snuggling with!

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
If you go into the Comcast Lab settings, there's a "childproof remote" feature that temporarily locks/unlocks all remote functionality by pressing the "up" arrow three times followed by L-O-C-K (5-6-2-5).

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Jon Booska

MVM

to Jon Booska
said by Jon Booska :

I have a 3 year old daughter that has adopted my Xfinity XR5 RF X1 remote in place of her "blankie". Is there ANY WAY I can set a lock code to keep her from changing everything on my entertainment center by pushing buttons whenever she's snuggling with it ALL DAY??

Does it need to function for her at all? That is, able to change channels, volume, etc.?

If not, you can just get her another XR5 remote from the local Comcast store, or Amazon (»www.amazon.com/Xfinity-C ··· SGSKR56/) and not pair/program it.

Jon Booska
@att.net

Jon Booska to gate1975mlm

Anon

to gate1975mlm
Feel pretty stupid asking such a seemingly simple question when others have more serious problems BUT...... I have a 3 year old daughter that has adopted my Xfinity XR5 RF X1 remote in place of her "blankie". Is there ANY WAY I can set a lock code to keep her from changing everything on my entertainment center by pushing buttons whenever she's snuggling with it ALL DAY?? It was cute at first but....... Yeah, please help!!

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

FYI - Special X1 platform features for this weekend's Super Bowl:

Xfinity X1 Gets Customers Ready for the Big Game
Comcast Voices blog - January 30, 2017
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· big-game
quote:
As the Patriots get ready to take on the Falcons in Super Bowl L1 on February 5, Comcast will once again help Xfinity TV customers get ready for the biggest game of the year by creating the ultimate football destination on X1.

Available now, X1 customers can explore 30-minute recaps of every Super Bowl, watch highlights from this year’s playoffs, browse related web clips from top sports networks and even get a sneak peek at some of this year’s most-anticipated Super Bowl commercials. X1 customers can easily browse and access this special Super Bowl collection via Xfinity On Demand, the X1 sports app or by saying "sports" into the voice remote.

On game day, X1 customers can watch the game on FOX from any screen in the home - on the TV and across devices via the Xfinity TV app. Additionally, X1 customers can pull up the sports app on their TV and track real-time player and team stats as the action unfolds.

Also, fans on-the-go can visit FOX Sports GO and live stream the game from smart phones, tablets and computers. ...

EDIT: Also on the MCN site now: »www.multichannel.com/new ··· 1/410530
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

FYI - An article about the X1 platform and how it has played a key role in Comcast's video customer retention (and even some growth):

X1: The Rocket Fueling Comcast Growth
Rollout of next-gen platform a big focus for Comcast Cable CEO Smit

By Mike Farrell, Multichannel News - December 12, 2016
»www.multichannel.com/x1- ··· h/409582

Almost half of Comcast's video service subscribers are on the X1 platform now:

Comcast Backs Bet on X1
Plans to expand X1 penetration beyond 60% in 2017, seek more licensing opportunities

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 26, 2017
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· 1/410438
quote:
As a further recognition that X1 has played a major role in putting Comcast's video sub growth back in the black last year, the operator has plans to broaden and deepen the penetration of the platform significantly in 2017

About 48% of Comcast’s 22.5 million video subs were on X1 at the end of 2016, up from 30% a year earlier, as the MSO deployed X1 to 936,000 net new and existing customers in Q4.

The aim is to drive that penetration percentage into the low 60s in 2017.

“We’ll keep driving X1 into our base and add features along the way to help further differentiate the experience as well as adding to our x1 licensing partners,” Brian Roberts, Comcast’s chairman and CEO, said on Thursday’s earnings call.

Cox Communications, Shaw Communications and, most recently, Rogers Communications have licensed X1, and Cox and Shaw have already deployed next-gen video products based on Comcast’s platform.

Neil Smit, president and CEO of Comcast Cable, said he sees X1 penetration ultimately reaching 75% to 80% while noting positive metrics from X1 subs, including a 3x DVR uptake versus subs on Comcast’s legacy platform, a 2x increase in PPV, the utilization of more outlets and increased VOD viewing.

“In every way you study this thing, it looks like a…game-changing product,” Roberts said.

Integration of X1 with OTT services like Netflix also came up on the call.

“We want to offer more and complementary content to make the viewing experience as rich and easy to access as possible, so we’ll continue to seek other partners and integrate them into the overall experience,” Smit said.

Comcast is in the process of integrating Sling TV on X1. Smit reiterated that the focus of that tie-in is Sling TV’s multicultural content and services. ...
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

FYI - A Comcast Voices blog post today on some enhancements that were made to the X1 platform for this week's presidential inauguration:

Connecting You to More than 60 Years of Inauguration History through X1
Comcast Voices blog - January 17, 2017
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· rough-x1
quote:
... the X1 News’ "Politics Central" has been revamped to connect customers to past and present inaugural content. ... Saying "Politics Central" into the X1 voice remote will give customers access to every U.S. inaugural address dating back to President Eisenhower in 1953.
:
On inauguration day, Politics Central will feature live tune-in tiles that will allow X1 users to watch President-elect Trump’s speech – and the rest of the day’s events – on their preferred network.

It will also include quick and real-time access to highlights from events and both web-based and on demand news, interviews and analysis. Viewers will be able to learn more about President-elect Trump and rewatch his road to the White House via on demand content with milestones like his speech during the 2016 Republican National Convention; his first presidential debate; his Election Night victory speech; and other political commentary from the election season.

Those on-the-go can use the Xfinity TV app and my.xfinity.com web portal to access inauguration live streams from BBC World News, CNBC, CNN, C-SPAN, Fox News, and MSNBC. ...
Also on MCN: »www.multichannel.com/new ··· k/410240
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to telcodad

to telcodad
So that is a no on their part.

I guess we just have to keep waiting.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

FYI - Possible future enhancement to the X1 platform:

Comcast Acquires Watchwith
Will tap Watchwith’s 'deep metadata' tech to accelerate new search and discovery capabilities for X1, other video platforms

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 3, 2017
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· h/409896
quote:
In a move that tacks on technologies that will drive deeper search and discovery capabilities into its X1 platform, Comcast has acquired Watchwith, a company that has built a video metadata platform that can decipher what’s happening inside a movie, TV show or sporting event.
:
Watchwith's deep metadata platform can provide information about what’s occurring within the video, such as which actors are appearing on screen, the location of a given scene, or the start of a memorable scene within a movie or TV show. It does that through the blending of two tools - an editorial tool that enables producers to manually tag specific video segments, and an automated media analysis/tagging tool that relies on algorithms and machine learning techniques.

"When that process is complete, you have all of this information that, at a frame level, [tells] you what’s happening inside the video," Rick Rioboli, senior vice president of CoMPASS (Comcast Metadata Products and Search Services), explained. ...

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
Nice catch.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to webcobbler

MVM

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

I came across an old article:»corporate.comcast.com/ne ··· -top-box

Since it mentions the X1 Platform with regard to said 4K content...

Is there any new information on when they will indeed be bringing an HDR 4K/Ultra HD STB to fruition?

Well, here's the latest update I've seen on the (non)availability of the Xi5 (HD/HDR) and Xi6 (4K-UHD/HDR) client boxes:

Comcast, Where's My 4K Set-Top?
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - October 18, 2016
»tvpredictions.com/comcas ··· 1816.htm
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to telcodad

to telcodad
I came across an old article:»corporate.comcast.com/ne ··· -top-box

Since it mentions the X1 Platform with regard to said 4K content...

Is there any new information on when they will indeed be bringing an HDR 4K/Ultra HD STB to fruition?

Thanks

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
The playback controls still suck and was better with what was previously there. The new one belongs in the Labs settings.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

FYI - A Comcast Voices blog post today on some of the major enhancements that were made to the X1 platform during this past year:

X1 in 2016: Voice, Sports, Accessibility and more!
Comcast Voices blog - December 21, 2016
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· -numbers
quote:
...Netflix on X1 and the X1 Olympics experience headlined the year, but heres a look at eight more of the most-loved (and used!) enhancements that came to the platform in 2016 and some interesting stats behind them:

1. Improved voice integrations
:
2. X1 Sports App Additions
:
3. DVR Auto-Extend for live sporting events
:
4. DVR In-Game Highlights markers for NFL games
:
5. New video playback controls
:
6. Reminders
:
7. More web-based interactive content
:
8. Simplified set-up and remote pairing
:

And while all that was happening, the teams were cranking on lots and lots of foundational work on new enhancements to come in 2017!
telcodad

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

FYI - The latest X1 platform enhancements, just in time for the Holidays:

Comcast's X1 Takes 'Santa Tracker' Over-the-Top
MSO integrates holiday-themed app/service from ZoneTV on X1 boxes

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - December 20, 2016
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· p/409800
quote:
Comcast confirmed that it has teamed with ZoneTV to offer Santa Tracker, an Internet app that features a slate of Holiday-themed games, movies and sing-alongs on its IP-capable X1 platform.

The Santa Tracker app, delivered to X1 boxes via the Internet as part of some new Holiday-focused enhancements, just recently appeared in the X1's app section.

Among the features, a movies section provides direct access to more than a dozen holiday and Christmas titles, including Elf, The Polar Express, Home Alone, Jingle All The Way, Jack Frost, and A Christmas Story.

Theres also a Radio section with curated Holiday Favorites, Holiday Kids and Smooth Jazz Christmas songs, a Read Along area with more than 15 titles, including A Penguin Story and The Bears We Know, and a collection of games, including Holiday Sparx, Jolly Dropper and Cookie Crumble.

A Sing-Along area offers 35-plus songs in karaoke mode, including Blue Christmas and Auld Lang Syne, from Stingray Digital. ...
EDIT: The ZoneTV press release on this: »www.prnewswire.com/news- ··· 708.html

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

4 edits

Mike Wolf to scjohnson

to scjohnson

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New CustomersThe

Yup. I consider cloud based DVR being able to record and view something without the set top box in the home having a hard drive.
»customer.xfinity.com/hel ··· al-faqs?
The XG1 is considered a DVR gateway, where as the XG2 is considered a gateway. The former has a built in hard drive, where as the latter doesn't but instead records everything to, and streams everything from, the cloud. The former has six tuners, where the latter only has four.
»Comcast Cable TV FAQ »All about X1
»customer.xfinity.com/hel ··· ion-box?

scjohnson
join:2010-07-21
Chicago, IL
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

scjohnson to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

said by Mike Wolf:

I thought Comcast already had cloud based DVR set tops. »www.theverge.com/2013/6/ ··· in-cloud

They are cloud based but all X1 DVRs still have and use a hard drive. Shows are recorded to both the hard drive on your DVR and a hard drive somewhere in Comcast's "cloud".

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to webcobbler

to webcobbler
That's the way it should be, passing the savings down to the customer, but I honestly don't think so. There is still going to be the DVR fee and the HD Technology fee.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

1 edit

webcobbler to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
OK. It is good to know that they ditched the HDD in their DVRs some time ago.

I do not have a DVR. Only a XG2 box and an Xi3 Client box, so I did not know. Thank You.

Also, does that mean that the boxes are cheaper to rent, since they do not have a physical Hard Drive in them? Cheaper boxes to produce should equal cheaper prices for customers. Correct?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to webcobbler

to webcobbler
I thought Comcast already had cloud based DVR set tops. »www.theverge.com/2013/6/ ··· in-cloud