Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to goalieskates

Re: They Know What You're Shopping For

quote:
...Their argument: It's still anonymous because the identity information is removed, protected or separated from browsing history. Facebook Inc., for example, offers a service that shows ads to groups of people based on email address, but only if advertisers already have that address. Facebook says that it doesn't give people's email addresses to the advertiser.
If my eMail address is being used between companies to target advertising toward me, how is that not using my personal information?
quote:
...Consider Dataium LLC, the company that can track car shoppers like Mr. Morar. Dataium said that shoppers' Web browsing is still anonymous, even though it can be tied to their names. The reason: Dataium does not give dealers click-by-click details of people's Web surfing history but rather an analysis of their interests.
If it's linked to my name or eMail address, how does that qualify as anonymous?
quote:
...In separate research, the Journal examined what happens when people logged in to roughly 70 popular websites that request a login and found that more than a quarter of the time, the sites passed along a user's real name, email address or other personal details, such as username, to third-party companies.
And they still would describe it as anonymous?

This dumbing-down and perversion of ordinary language has become the bane of modern civilization.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by Blackbird:

And they still would describe it as anonymous?

My guess is that anything other than your full name is classified as "anonymous" since that would require some (minimum) work to link it to a specific individual.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Blackbird

quote:
If my eMail address is being used between companies to target advertising toward me, how is that not using my personal information?
It IS,this is all BS so they can justify doing it!