uniqs
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to AOD

Premium Member

to AOD

Re: what exactly does the install tech do?

said by AOD:

said by Crowbar10:

The installer will run a cable to wherever He wants the modem . He / She will then call in and have the modem provisioned ( activated ) via the mac address ...

My first install tech said and I quote. "My job is to make sure your modem has signal and that's it". This was a Rogers tech.

Then you get the installer like my original one on the 26th, who lays the run, doesn't plug it into the modem, and doesn't check the signal. Required another truck roll to fix my signal.
cidknee0
join:2009-02-28

cidknee0

I had the same experience!

The first tech it was because I had a Mac and he didnt know how to make it work with Mac. I explained to him that it makes no difference what computer is the end point. Then he told me it was because I am a WoW player and I use too much bandwidth.
Mind you this was a Rogers tech, not TS...but they use the same ones.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by cidknee0:

I had the same experience!

The first tech it was because I had a Mac and he didnt know how to make it work with Mac. I explained to him that it makes no difference what computer is the end point. Then he told me it was because I am a WoW player and I use too much bandwidth.
Mind you this was a Rogers tech, not TS...but they use the same ones.

TSI doesn't have their own techs - Rogers won't let them have their own. All cable rolls in Rogers areas, are Rogers techs.

We all know WoW uses like nothing for bandwidth.. *rolls her eyes*

Also, small wow patch this morning. 13MB.
cidknee0

cidknee0

Yeah, sorry I knew they all use the same 3rd party contractors.

New patch huh...hmmm. I wish I had your job... that must be awesome.
Thanks for the heads up. Any details on it? Or should I check battle.net? Sorry to segway.

AOD
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
M9B

AOD to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

said by AOD:

said by Crowbar10:

The installer will run a cable to wherever He wants the modem . He / She will then call in and have the modem provisioned ( activated ) via the mac address ...

My first install tech said and I quote. "My job is to make sure your modem has signal and that's it". This was a Rogers tech.

Then you get the installer like my original one on the 26th, who lays the run, doesn't plug it into the modem, and doesn't check the signal. Required another truck roll to fix my signal.

my signal was fine. Just not passed Rogers walled garden.
said by cidknee0:

Yeah, sorry I knew they all use the same 3rd party contractors.

New patch huh...hmmm. I wish I had your job... that must be awesome.
Thanks for the heads up. Any details on it? Or should I check battle.net? Sorry to segway.

It wasn't a third party technician. It was a Rogers technician.
cidknee0

cidknee0

They drive trucks in Rogers colours, but if you look on the back it says something like " Under contract to Rogers through XYZ communications".

AOD
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
M9B

AOD

Premium Member

said by cidknee0:

They drive trucks in Rogers colours, but if you look on the back it says something like " Under contract to Rogers through XYZ communications".

No, this was a full blown Rogers tech, no under contract. He was wearing a Hi-Viz Rogers shirt too
aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis

said by AOD:

said by cidknee0:

No, this was a full blown Rogers tech, no under contract. He was wearing a Hi-Viz Rogers shirt too

Subcontractors also wear hi vis shirts with the arc flash. But this is all besides the point, there are many subcontractors (and in-house) who know what they are doing, and many who don't. The reality is how they get paid. Subcontractors are piecework, in-house (the majority) are hourly. Piecework dictates what technicians get paid for specific work. Installations for third party internet accounts are paid for the cable line only, not to ensure your modem works. They get paid to come to your address and ensure there is a cable with signal where you want - nowhere does it even state if it's good signal or bad signal, just signal.

You should be happy the technician even let you connect your cable and your modem boot up, as they don't get paid to sit around and wait for that. Ideally they should use their test modem on each install and ensure that their test modem comes online at minimum.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Full blown Rogers Techs also carry an ID badge with their pictures on a lanyard around their necks. I think I found one on the street once, duno what ever happened to it I don't have it anymore.