spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

There are lots of different speeds.

Regarding your speedtests within 2 miles of one another, there are lots of towers around that give different speeds. They only have a range of about 1/2 a mile and I have 6-7 all around me but they are just 2G & 3G with speeds of 120k-6Mb, the nearest 4G tower that has the highest speeds of 22-24Mb is 2 miles away near the T-Mobile store. To get the best speeds depends a lot on which way you are standing, how high you hold the phone up in the air, anything in the way, etc. For everyone to get fast speeds everywhere they would have to cover the earth with the newest, fastest towers spaced not more than 1 mile apart in every direction but of course that is impossible. If you use an app like OpenSignalMaps you can see where all the towers are around you and what speed and protocol you are using. Unfortunately it doesn't show the speed and type of all the towers though, just the one you connect to. Network Signal Info will also show the tower you connect to and the speed and protocol but it doesn't show all the other towers.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

1 edit

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by ArizonaSteve:

Regarding your speedtests within 2 miles of one another, there are lots of towers around that give different speeds. They only have a range of about 1/2 a mile and I have 6-7 all around me but they are just 2G & 3G with speeds of 120k-6Mb, the nearest 4G tower that has the highest speeds of 22-24Mb is 2 miles away near the T-Mobile store. To get the best speeds depends a lot on which way you are standing, how high you hold the phone up in the air, anything in the way, etc. For everyone to get fast speeds everywhere they would have to cover the earth with the newest, fastest towers spaced not more than 1 mile apart in every direction but of course that is impossible. If you use an app like OpenSignalMaps you can see where all the towers are around you and what speed and protocol you are using. Unfortunately it doesn't show the speed and type of all the towers though, just the one you connect to. Network Signal Info will also show the tower you connect to and the speed and protocol but it doesn't show all the other towers.

Lol, wut? In my speedtest comparison it's showing the difference between a HSPA 42 tower and a sketchy GPRS tower in a fairly decent sized city within a couple miles of each other. I do understand cellular technology and how it works. This was an unbiased review of an inconsistent network. If I lock my phone to 3g I get at least 3g pretty much everywhere. I have a stand next to my laptop mount in my truck and don't hold it but I shouldn't have to stand with my phone over my head to get decent service in Orlando Florida with any service anyways. FYI, There is no Network Signal Info or OpenSignalMaps for Windows Phone 7.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

I don't understand why you are still complaining or what the "Lol, wut?" comment is about since they still can't put towers everywhere on earth to satisfy everyone with good service no matter where they might be! A lot of the towers are still just 2G GSM with Edge and will take a long time to replace with updated service. Now that they are moving 3G from 1700Mhz to 1900Mhz it's getting better though. My old Samsung 4G Exhibit II that was never of any use since there aren't many 4G towers around has started working again now that a tower just a block from me has been converted to 1900Mhz!
BTW, too bad you got a Windows Phone 7 that doesn't have any apps but if you want to upgrade you can always buy a used Samsung Galaxy S-II on ebay and put your SIM in it.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by ArizonaSteve:

I don't understand why you are still complaining or what the "Lol, wut?" comment is about since they still can't put towers everywhere on earth to satisfy everyone with good service no matter where they might be! A lot of the towers are still just 2G GSM with Edge and will take a long time to replace with updated service. Now that they are moving 3G from 1700Mhz to 1900Mhz it's getting better though. My old Samsung 4G Exhibit II that was never of any use since there aren't many 4G towers around has started working again now that a tower just a block from me has been converted to 1900Mhz!
BTW, too bad you got a Windows Phone 7 that doesn't have any apps but if you want to upgrade you can always buy a used Samsung Galaxy S-II on ebay and put your SIM in it.

I'm not complaining, I'm stating facts. Then you came in and crapped on my review. T-Mobile refarming their 1900mhz spectrum has nothing to do with stock T-Mobile phones suddenly getting HSPA service. And lastly, since informing potential customers of a certain service is the intention of the DSLR review section I recommended it to people that don't go very far from where it works. I don't expect any company, especially a value carrier to have service everywhere but I do want people to be aware of how sketchy it can be.