All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Al198947
@rogers.com

Al198947

Anon

[Extreme] Rogers Bandwidth Counter Incorrect?

I noticed that during the past month, my household's internet usage has been ridiculous. Normally we use 1-3gb a day but recently I have been seeing usages up to 6-9gb a day frequently! A pattern that I saw was that the Upload usage is more than the Download usage. For example, 3 days ago, by download was 2.5gb and upload was 7gb! None of my computers do any torrenting. We don't upload videos on Youtube either I don't know how that's possible.

I decided to do an experiment on Dec 8th where I changed the password and added in MAC filtering so that no computers can use the internet for 28 hours. All of our computers connect VIA WIFI.

Today, I went to check the usage and could not find the usage for Dec 8th. I see the usage for Dec 7th then it skips to Dec 9th. Is the reason why I don't see Dec 8th because there was 0 bandwidth usage?
JAC70
join:2008-10-20
canada

JAC70

Check your PCs for trojans/viruses.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

1 edit

technocar2 to Al198947

to Al198947
said by Al198947 :

Is the reason why I don't see Dec 8th because there was 0 bandwidth usage?

Exactly...no need to blame rogers bandwidth counter when the problem in with in your network. Best solution is to re install windows on all computers if they are infected and use mac filtering all the time with a strong password. Use an online password generator for WPA2 and use the strongest security. Also make sure anti virus and firewall etc are all up to date on all computers. Then just periodically make sure no new macs are trying to get an IP, always set static IPs for all computers and disable DHCP if you can. That's would be the ideal security set up for a home user IMO.
»www.yellowpipe.com/yis/t ··· ator.php
biznatch11
join:2004-11-21
London, ON

biznatch11 to Al198947

to Al198947
Rogers severely restricts torrent uploading speed (at least, for me they do) so I don't think you could get several GB of torrents uploaded in a day even if you tried. The data is probably being caused by something else.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by biznatch11:

Rogers severely restricts torrent uploading speed (at least, for me they do) so I don't think you could get several GB of torrents uploaded in a day even if you tried. The data is probably being caused by something else.

Not anymore, a ton of areas don't have p2p restrictions anymore. So the potential of high p2p upload is there.
biznatch11
join:2004-11-21
London, ON

biznatch11

said by technocar2:

said by biznatch11:

Not anymore, a ton of areas don't have p2p restrictions anymore. So the potential of high p2p upload is there.

Ah ok, my area just still sucks then. I checked that link above and yup it says my area is still being throttled.

justaguy
@rogers.com

justaguy to Al198947

Anon

to Al198947
Whoa, Reinstall windows on all the computers??

I would suggest to find out what is causing the problem before going through all that work. Connect them one a time, maybe. Day by Day. Install DUmeter. If the connection is being used, you should be able to find out from what. It may not be as malicious as you think. Do you use an email client? could be a stuck email. It could be any application that has internet access may be having a problem.

Also MAC filtering offers 0 security. Your MAC address is in the clear on every packet you send to and from your router. If somebody is smart enough to get your password they are smart enough to spoof your mac. The only thing it may help with is keeping a wandering computer off an open network.

A strong WPA key is the only way to secure wifi.

Al1989471
@rogers.com

Al1989471 to Al198947

Anon

to Al198947
Thanks for the responses guys. It's good to know that the problem is on my end because it would be a huge frustration to argue with Rogers that it's their problem.

I scan all my computers regularly using Microsoft Security Essentials.
There are 3 computers in my household with one of them being a Macbook Pro not used by me.

I have DUMeter installed on one of my computers and reports show that usage is normal (about 1gb per day).

IF my virus scanner didn't catch a virus. Is it possible that the virus can bypass my bandwidth monitor (DUMeter)? Is it also possible for a virus to connect to the internet and use up bandwidth while my computer is turned off?

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33 to Al198947

to Al198947
dump rogers. rogers is the robbers of your wallet. get third party isp/otv or build a custom server

abitbent
join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON

abitbent to Al1989471

to Al1989471
Don't forget Al that Dumeter can only record the data being consumed by one device. Some people have built proxy servers and routed all internet data through it so that they can measure the total usage of all devices. Not easily set up though, but I'm sure some of the eggheads will tell you I'm wrong. :P

Although MSE says it protects and scans for malware, I've found it misses a lot. You might try SpyBot or MalwareBytes for scanning all your machines in case there is anything rouge on them using data.

No chance you just started using Netflix or some other streaming service? Rogers anywhere tv, is pretty shifty about using the word FREE everywhere, but it does use data when you watch it online.

I find it pretty sad that we're running around like idiots worrying about usage just so Rogers can capitalize on data and penalize you for not watching cable tv and using streaming.

Some of us here are old enough to remember how ridiculous long distance rates used to be. Remember waiting till 11pm to make a call to another area code? Let alone another province or country? Now long distance is practically free or costs pennies and Bell is still the most profitable company in Canada.

... but I digress...
gtatech
join:2012-08-23

gtatech to Al198947

to Al198947
Hi Everyone, FYI my friend noticed his usage going through the roof as well. After several conversations with tech support on how bandwidth is metered, it's apparently done on the Rogers Router / Modem. His Cisco modem was faulty causing the spike and inaccurate overages. After replacing the modem usage returned to normal. I have the same Cisco modem and noticed that my bandwidth usage has been going through the roof mind you we have been using the Internet more heavily this month, none the less its time to switch to an ISP without Caps.
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359

Premium Member

Yeah, I am pretty sure the tech support agent is talking out his butt. The modem from my understanding doesn't have anything to do with keeping track of usage. If it did, it would have been hacked long ago, since the super user passwords are readily available on the internet.

A bad modem, I still don't see how this could cause serious overages. Data is either being sent/received or its not. The modem merely connects to the Rogers infrastructure, and passes all the data via the connected devices. It doesn't really create data to send, not in the volume needed to effect our usage.

From my understanding anyway. I am sure there is more tech savy folks on the modem stuff that could elaborate, but, that just doesn't make sense to me. Yes, switching the modem appeared to solve the problem, but, I don't see why or how. If it did work, I would love to know why, just because I love to know how things work.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Yup quite likely talking out of his butt ... the data tranferred is measured at the "Service Engines" (the dreaded throttling boxes) or at the CMTS routers.

Changing a modem is going to change the MAC of the router, and hence its assigned IP address. So if you have someone doing dos attacks or other such transfers to your IP, it will go away.

This shows that it's basically, externally initiated traffic, not traffic from you.

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to Al1989471

Premium Member

to Al1989471
Don't be so quick to discount your own theory I had some odd readings like those myself, we also ran the scans thinking virus but we run a secure router and checked each device, no external connections no software going out of the bandwidth dept and 4 days where there was some odd uploads (one was 10gb) so I wouldn't be so quick to discount an issue at rogers bean counter dept. Maybe they ran short of their cash infusion quota and decided to try and collect.
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359

Premium Member

Yeah, in the vast majority of cases, from the computers, routers, a home networks I have been asked to fix, 99% of the time, its the customer, and not Rogers, Bellus etc. who has the issue. Not saying Rogers is perfect, but they just don't randomly pick people, make up some extra usage to steal a few dollars.

I am pretty sure people would be onto that rrrrreal quick.