knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Archivis

Re: It is possible? Usenet is Dead?

said by Archivis:

None. None at all.

Too much hand holding on this forum and elsewhere on the Internet has spoiled enough fun for people as is.

People won't even do basic research before asking anymore.

Sort of like this, you mean?

said by Archivis:

I remember seeing a post somewhere about some software that was developed that allowed you to set up file-sharing with your friends.

Is anyone familiar with it? I would like to set up some file-sharing amongst my friends.

You could have just said "I don't know." Or not responded, since I wasn't talking to you anyway.

Asking is "basic research."

You should do a little "basic research" into the incorrectly attributed quote in your sig.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
You see, I also contribute quite a hefty sum of information to this website as well as this forum and there are a slew of people that I helped set up in private, so I don't feel bad when I occasionally ask people about their own setups.

»My Setup

The situation we have today is that information is spelled out so simpy (to which, I contributed to) that people that we don't want involved are now involved and are shutting the process down.

Because of this, those of us who aren't cut off do not want to be penalized any further by helping others out.

We have to be purposely crass with people so that we don't hurt our own setups any further. That is the way it has been for the last twenty years. Eventually, the process gets simplified and publicized and then it gets shut down.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
"It's different when I do it." Got it. Google can't find your questions in the forum.

Uh, ok. Sorry my innocuous question about my own private computer this morning ruined your personal Usenet last week. My bad.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

1 recommendation

Apology accepted.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

The situation we have today is that information is spelled out so simpy (to which, I contributed to) that people that we don't want involved are now involved and are shutting the process down.

Because of this, those of us who aren't cut off do not want to be penalized any further by helping others out.

I'd disagree, it's one thing to help someone setup a usenet client, and another to tell them where to get content.

The issue I have with some of the sites getting shut down right now, is that they provide direct access to content when they may or may not have the rights to do so, making them (and us) a heat score.

Helping isn't the problem here.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
+1 Exactly