aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Beezel

Re: Fill it with regular or jet fuel?

said by Beezel:

Also you can thank the insurance companies for the HP decrease. They made premiums go higher after certain levels.

I kinda doubt that was the reason. It was the emission requirements. Not sure exactly which year, but during that time emission requirements started appearing, and it had a very significant effect on the performance and reliability of the engines. Probably the worse years were '73 - '75 -- miles of vacuum hoses, for one.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to cowboyro

said by cowboyro:

said by Kearnstd:

I wonder what would happen if a gas station got true AvGas, that 100+ octane gasoline used in something like a cessna as I know those are piston engines with spark plugs so guessing they just use very high octane gasoline.

Realistically nothing besides maybe shortening the life of the emission systems.
High octane fuel only has better resistance to self-detonation by compression. It does not provide more power or better gas mileage, contrary to the popular belief. However high compression engines *require* high octane gas, as regular gas may detonate prematurely.

Also high oct fuels in engines not meant for it will give off more CO as the combustion will be less complete (unless the engine is tuned to make use of it.)
--
»Death Star Petition

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

I remember hearing mentions that when leaded gas was still in use in Japan, children that grew up near some intersection in Tokyo had far higher chances of lead poisoning just from the air.

Naturally looking backwards, I want to ask "What idiot thought mixing a heavy metal into gasoline and then burning it was a bright idea?" But I have to remember when they came up with leaded gas they likely had no clue of the implications

There's an ep of "Dark Matters: twisted but true" about it.
The inventor was one of the first to suffer, he was NUTS, even after suffering and knowing it was due to his invention of TEL he once poured TEL right on his hands.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matte···But_True
Season 2 ep 9
--
»Death Star Petition

OmenQ
Spazz
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Continuum

There's also a good Damn Interesting article about it.
»www.damninteresting.com/the-ethy···more-932
--
Cogito Ergo Nom