All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

Anyone with details of FIOS Fibre plant, splice points, FDH?

I'm always curious about how infrastructures are built, FIOS (PON infrastructures) being another one. I've researched enough and understand how the CO to FDH infrastructure is laid out, however what I'm curious is about the FDH to the home. FDH to the home is the hard part of the PON infrastructure due to its multi-point nature and

Each ONT has a direct fiber feed back to the FDH or in same cases to a MSTs (Multipoint service terminals) which splits it near the ONT. At my home I am on a aerial closure which has a feed back to the FDH.

My question is really around the aerial closures. These closures offer splice points. In these closures do they fully cut the fiber cable and splice every strand? Or do they just pull out strands from the fiber cable that is just needed for that respective service terminal? Does anyone know how many strands are typically in a fiber cable? 32, 64? FIOS is all aerial around my location and driving down the road you see aerial closures after each other. I would thinking splicing all strands at every point would cause a lot of attenuation even though fusion splicing is very efficient. Are all strands spliced at each point too or just enough to service users downstream on the fiber cable?

Thanks for anyone who has this info.

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

TrainBuff

Premium Member

»fiberforall.org/verizon-fios/

»computer.howstuffworks.c ··· fios.htm

Don't know if these links will be of help.
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

lijacobs to buckweet1980

to buckweet1980
said by buckweet1980:

My question is really around the aerial closures. These closures offer splice points. In these closures do they fully cut the fiber cable and splice every strand? Or do they just pull out strands from the fiber cable that is just needed for that respective service terminal? Does anyone know how many strands are typically in a fiber cable? 32, 64?

The fiber cable that VZ uses is made up of multlples of 12 strands. The cable is armored for protection from the elements and can contain many 12 strand ribbons. 12 hair thin strands are encased in a plastic ribbon 1/8 " wide and a few mm. thick. Fiber hubs are configured with a fiber stub that terminates in a splice case. The hubs can serve 432 or more end points. The fiber from the central office is fusion spliced 12 strands at a time to the stub coming from the hub in the splice case. The fiber going towards the end points from the splice case is distributed throughout the serving area and is terminated patch terminals of 6, 12 or more. In the hub the fiber gong to any end point can be patched to any fiber coming from any 32 point splitter

anydaynow
@comcast.net

anydaynow to buckweet1980

Anon

to buckweet1980
»www.corning.com/cablesys ··· ate.aspx
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

Great info.. thanks all!