join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k

Re: Ceiling heights

said by garys_2k:

Any equipment you want to buy will specify its height. The big issue will be getting the stuff down the stairs, most likely you'll need to assemble it in the basement.

What I am concerned about is the height of the equipment while it is occupied by the user (which is why I specified my height of 5' 5" in the original post). I know the code around here specifies a minimum ceiling height of 7". This is for the town of Amherst, MA (I'm in Springfield) but it is the state of Massachusetts building code. »www.amherstma.gov/Docume ··· View/119

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

treadmill should be ok for your height. the elliptical on the other hand may or may not be you'll want to check the height of the foot pads with a tape measure at their highest point and then do the math.

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I know the code around here specifies a minimum ceiling height of 7". This is for the town of Amherst, MA (I'm in Springfield) but it is the state of Massachusetts building code. »www.amherstma.gov/Docume ··· View/119

Why does building code matter?

I'd go to Sears with a tape measure and try to measure the foot cups at their highest point... then add 5'5" and maybe another 4" for safety... if it's more than your current floor to ceiling height you have an issue.

When I moved I wanted to put my treadmill in the basement, but found it would be way too close for my comfort (6')...

To be honest, I don't know what you're planning to spend on that machine, but a membership to the Y might be better in the long run. More equipment available, and usually better than you get for home, and no space taken up... I paid $400 for my treadmill, if I also wanted an elliptical and some weights I could easily be close to $1000. Add to that the fact that my treadmill is smaller and less robust feeling then the ones at the gym... I bet you can can get almost 2 years of membership for $1000.