Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD

Re: 'Black Box' Data Recorders Required In All New Cars

said by AVD:

Unless an engineer says the speed limit is warranted, I don't recognize it.

Fine, but you forfeit the right to complain here when you exceed the posted speed limit.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by dave:

said by AVD:

Unless an engineer says the speed limit is warranted, I don't recognize it.

Fine, but you forfeit the right to complain here when you exceed the posted speed limit.

says who?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Those who think it's idiotic to ignore a sign and then complain at the consequences of ignoring that sign.

(You'll note that I don't say "you should not ignore the sign")

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by dave:

Those who think it's idiotic to ignore a sign and then complain at the consequences of ignoring that sign.

(You'll note that I don't say "you should not ignore the sign")

As a technical board, I think those who believe a traffic control device (ex: sign, semaphore) means anything without the required engineering support should be ignored.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
You're of course ignoring all of the signs that are set artificially low to generate revenue. Why else would you have a speed limit of 35 on a relatively straight 4 lane road that isn't near a school zone and has few traffic lights.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

You're of course ignoring all of the signs that are set artificially low to generate revenue.

There are several sections of several roads in this area where the posted speed limit is randomly alternated between 65 mph and 55 mph. They are posted at 65 mph for long enough that local motorists get used to that speed, and then the signs are changed to 55 mph in order to generate speeding ticket revenue. When that extra revenue starts to decline as motorists start to notice the speed limit change, they change the speed limit signs back to 65 mph and restart the cycle.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

You're of course ignoring all of the signs that are set artificially low to generate revenue. Why else would you have a speed limit of 35 on a relatively straight 4 lane road that isn't near a school zone and has few traffic lights.

Irrelevant. We're talking about a deliberate decision to ignore the signs (rather than failure to notice poorly-place signs, for example). Fine, ignore the signs. But if you're discovered ignoring the signs, don't complain that someone penalised you for not obeying the signs.

This isn't an opinion either way on the validity of the signs. Or an opinion about whether one should or should not obey the signs. It is simply disdain for failing to accept the consequences of ones own decisions.

Which is, of course, thoroughly on-topic for this thread.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by dave:

said by sk1939:

Irrelevant. We're talking about a deliberate decision to ignore the signs (rather than failure to notice poorly-place signs, for example). Fine, ignore the signs. But if you're discovered ignoring the signs, don't complain that someone penalised you for not obeying the signs.

This isn't an opinion either way on the validity of the signs. Or an opinion about whether one should or should not obey the signs. It is simply disdain for failing to accept the consequences of ones own decisions.

Which is, of course, thoroughly on-topic for this thread.

Failure to account for one's own actions is sadly a large part of society today it seems. I've seen too many cases where people claim it's someone else's fault.