Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to darcilicious

Re: It is possible? Usenet is Dead?

said by darcilicious:

Right. Somehow I was getting the impression that folks thought that having their own indexer would be some kind of way around the DMCA issue.

The reason I was investigating was that I figured by querying the servers directly, I could access content faster than by using binsearch. I wish I has already tested this theory so I could confirm (or deny) this.

Cheers,
EQ
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by El Quintron:

The reason I was investigating was that I figured by querying the servers directly, I could access content faster than by using binsearch. I wish I has already tested this theory so I could confirm (or deny) this.

Are you running on your home internet connection? It is going to be a bandwidth intensive application especially if you expect to stay on top of sites like binsearch and want to index more than a few groups. Essentially Newsnab logs in every X number of minutes to grab updated headers for your pre-specified group(s). Set the number of minutes to low and you will end up with a huge backlog as newsnab tries to catch up since it may not have completed the previous update(s) especially on high traffic groups. Set it to high..and you might as well just stick with Binsearch as there machines will download and process faster than your home based connection will be able too.

I think 2-5 groups for your own personal indexer is doable.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by swintec:

I think 2-5 groups for your own personal indexer is doable.

That would meet my needs, my first go is going to be for a single group, and if I like it, I'll start monitoring the 2-5 that I use the most.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have