how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

[rant] 2013 pathfinder

So after my 2012 Altima battled with hurricane Sandy and lost to a lot of salt water, I decided on an upgrade and got myself a 2013 pathfinder. For all of 600 miles I got to enjoy the ride and general feel of the car. Then this weekend the pathfinder decided that it hates me, my family and life in general and the transmission gave out to the tune of asphalt stink and complete refusal to move in either direction.

So much for the all new and improved CVT with all metal belts, increased towing capacity and whatever else garbage they put in their marketing materials.

So now I am back in an Altima (rental), a base model to add insult to injury, and patiently waiting for a Nissan dealer to get back to me with details on what's really wrong with my pathfinder.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

Hey Dodge, you should have got a Dodge.

Techless
Lets pretend I care
Premium
join:2002-07-19
Hypoluxo, Fl
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Dodge

CVT would be the greatest transmission if it worked. Unfortunately the truth is it doesn't, not by any manufacturer.
The idea is the greatest but as a mechanic I can tell you that it may never be a reliable choice.
My advice, avoid CVT like the plague.
But hey, maybe someday.
> EDIT to add- in automotive marketing talk "all new and improved " means Okay it didn't work but we are hoping this one will.
--
Morality is doing what is right no matter what you're told. Religion is doing what you're told no matter what is right.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI

CVT works very well in small engine applications, like ATVs and snowmobiles. But I've never seen a good review for them on cars. Of course they have significant design difference.

Techless
Lets pretend I care
Premium
join:2002-07-19
Hypoluxo, Fl

Yep, me too. It's pretty much how snowmobiles all work.
But cars, not today not tomorrow. Maybe someday if we can find a way around the laws of physics.
Meanwhile conventional transmissions are getting better everyday.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Dodge

One of my moms friends bought a top of the line brand new pathfinder about 4-5 years ago and it was a complete lemon. She ended up getting rid of it after about a year because of all of the problems.

Dodge
Premium
reply to Techless

said by Techless:

CVT would be the greatest transmission if it worked. Unfortunately the truth is it doesn't, not by any manufacturer.
The idea is the greatest but as a mechanic I can tell you that it may never be a reliable choice.
My advice, avoid CVT like the plague.
But hey, maybe someday.
> EDIT to add- in automotive marketing talk "all new and improved " means Okay it didn't work but we are hoping this one will.

I know the reviews, but I had 2 Altimas, both with CVTs and not a single issue with either one. I actually enjoy the feel of a CVT and really didn't expect this. Since the car is a lease I was kind of thinking if it blows up it will be for someone who buys it used, not at under a 1000 miles.

Dodge
Premium
reply to Dodge

The dealership notified me that transmission is fine. Some tube that's supposed to carry transmission fluid fell out (big thumbs up to Nissan's factory quality control /sarcasm) and transmission went into fail-safe mode. The fix was very quick, however it took them over a day to get proper transmission fluid from Nissan as apparently this CVT is using some new version of the fluid that they just didn't anticipate needing yet. Getting the car back tomorrow. Hopefully this is the last problem I have to deal with during this lease.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI

said by Dodge:

(big thumbs up to Nissan's factory quality control /sarcasm)

Shit happens. It sucks. But at least they took care of it for you.

Dodge
Premium

said by Lurch77:

said by Dodge:

(big thumbs up to Nissan's factory quality control /sarcasm)

Shit happens. It sucks. But at least they took care of it for you.

As long as it doesn't keep happening I'll be happy

Dodge
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to Dodge

So the car broke down again in exactly the same way, hose fell off the cooler. Towed back to the dealership.

After the dealership spoke with their tech line support it turns out that so far Nissan has over 500 reported cases of this happening, which for a 2013 car that was released in november is kind of sad.

After further investigation, tech line advised the dealership that the spigot (or whatever that connector is called) that the hose connects to is the wrong size and positioned at an idiotic angle (their words not mine). Under certain temperatures, the hose falls off, fluid drains all over the place and transmission goes into failsafe. There is a replacement assembly available already (radiator, transmission cooler, etc) and most likely there will be a recall on the car. They are overnighting the parts to the dealership and I should have the car back in a few days.

So here is to hoping that this is the last time since I really enjoy the car in general, but these issues are getting on my nerves.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

You think something simple as a hose would be easy to get right? I will say in defense of Nissan I have 2012 Juke and it has been a great little cross-over. Perfect feel of a car with some SUV use with the AWD.

Dodge
Premium

said by I AM:

You think something simple as a hose would be easy to get right? I will say in defense of Nissan I have 2012 Juke and it has been a great little cross-over. Perfect feel of a car with some SUV use with the AWD.

There is an old wisdom not to buy first model year cars, which I chose to ignore. If this will actually winds up being a recall, then everyone who purchases the car after this point, won't have this issue.

hambone42
Peace, through superior firepower
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Manassas, VA
reply to Dodge

Strike two. Time to pull out that trifold about lemon laws that's supposed to be provided in every new car...
--
Sarcasm is the Body's Natural Defense Against Stupidity

Dodge
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to Dodge

So a quick update for anyone who's following this little saga

Nissan sent an engineer to the dealership to make sure the vehicle is repaired correctly. They replaced the radiator (supposedly updated model), transmission cooler (which I am pretty sure is part of the radiator) and the hoses. Picked up the car on Saturday, drove ok for a few days.

On Monday I thought I smelled transmission fluid burning again. Opened the hood to check transmission fluid levels, but didn't find a dipstick (if it's there I can't find it). Decided screw it, I want to get home, HA - can't close the hood! Out of 2 latches, only one catches, the second one doesn't hold. Great, can't really get back on the highway like that. Last thing I need is my hood to fly off at highway speeds. At this point I am pissed, open the hood again to see if there is anything shifted / broken / etc. Since I couldn't find anything, I just slammed the hood in frustration, and behold, it closed! Except it's sitting about 1/4 of an inch forward of where it's supposed to be and seems raised where the hinges are!

Ok, screw it, I am going home, will figure it out later as the dealership is now closed for the holiday anyways. Today in the morning, wait for it......drops of transmission fluid on the ground in the garage!

Nissan corporate wants me to take it back to the dealership one more time to see what's wrong with it. Even though I am beyond pissed with this whole situation, I am going to take it back one more time this weekend (assuming it lasts till the weekend:().

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion (hopefully) next week.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

Sounds like lemon law to me.

Research your state's requirements before returning to the dealer.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Dodge
Premium

4 major breakdowns or 30 calendar days out of commission before 18K miles seems to be the NY rule.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Dodge

Go American!

Dodge
Premium

1 recommendation

said by Jackarino:

Go American!

The pathfinder is built in TN if I am not mistaken, it's more American than most of GM cars that are built in Mexico and Canada.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

True.

I'll always consider the Fords, Chevys, etc American cars. But I see your point.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Dodge
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to Dodge

Since I hate when people start threads and then, when the problem is resolved they never post in it again, I bring you the conclusion to this exciting tale

The car has been fine for several weeks now. It was checked twice after the last repair and there is no evidence of any further leaks. Nissan consumer affairs actually surprised me and were more than reasonable in their handling of the case.

I've received full reimbursements for all related out of pocket expenses that were not covered by the dealership and they've added a few extras to the tune of lease payments, warranties and maintenance plans to keep me completely satisfied and no longer in the "F(*&K Nissan" state

What was really nice is that there were no arguments from their side, no trying to blame someone else or trying to weasel out of handling the case. Everyone I spoke to was very polite, and not just fake polite like most customer relations agents, but actually helpful. They followed up on the dates that they said they would, and overall was a rather pleasant experience if you disregard what started it

Overall major kudos to Nissan consumer affairs.

Fin:)

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

No bungee cords to return at a future date?

(seriously though, good to hear you are satisfied! )
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Dodge
Premium

said by Cho Baka:

No bungee cords to return at a future date?

(seriously though, good to hear you are satisfied! )

I was given assurances that the mixture of bubble gum and duct tape used for the fix would hold for at least the duration of the lease Plus I am sure they will add additional duct tape as needed during my free maintenance

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

+1 for a followup on your thread and good you found resolution

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to Dodge

said by Dodge:

Since I hate when people start threads and then, when the problem is resolved they never post in it again, I bring you the conclusion to this exciting tale

The car has been fine for several weeks now. It was checked twice after the last repair and there is no evidence of any further leaks. Nissan consumer affairs actually surprised me and were more than reasonable in their handling of the case.

I've received full reimbursements for all related out of pocket expenses that were not covered by the dealership and they've added a few extras to the tune of lease payments, warranties and maintenance plans to keep me completely satisfied and no longer in the "F(*&K Nissan" state

What was really nice is that there were no arguments from their side, no trying to blame someone else or trying to weasel out of handling the case. Everyone I spoke to was

very polite, and not just fake polite like most customer relations agents, but actually helpful. They followed up on the dates that they said they would, and overall was a rather pleasant experience if you disregard what started it

Overall major kudos to Nissan consumer affairs.

Fin:)

Good to hear but need to ask what happened with the hard slamming of the hood in order for it to close properly?

Dodge
Premium

The hood was not adjusted properly when the dealership was changing the radiator, they fixed it in 5 minutes when I went back to check for leaks.

Emax04

@verizon.net
reply to Dodge

Hey. I have a 2013 nissan pathfinder. And I have 1900 miles on it. Was a dealer demo and I bought it with 800. I was driving today and pressed down on the accelerator. All of the suddenness the engine started jumping and I realized smoke was pouring out of the engine. Pulled over and saw what I think was engine coolent all over the ground gushing out. 6 hours later. It's at the nissan dealer and they gave me a loaner. Well see what happens. I'm tempted to push them to give me a new car. And/or an extended warranty. I am going to call nissan corporate in the morning.

I am wondering if there is any tips you can share when dealing with nissan or the dealer you got to get them to cooperate.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
The OC

1 recommendation

They owe you a warranty repair. I understand the frustration, but you don't have a claim beyond that at this point.

Emax04

@verizon.net

Of course there is a difference between what they legally owe me and what they should do for me. Well see what happens.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
The OC

2 recommendations

I wasn't speaking from a legal perspective, more from a customer service one. Your car failed, albeit rather dramatically, under warranty. The loaner is already a goodwill gesture beyond what is required.

Demanding a new vehicle or extended warranty in the absence of a recurring problem or evidence of catastrophic damage is, in my view, premature.