join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707

Re: General info needed about Statute of Limitations

said by JoelC707:

said by 40757180:

You asked question which can't be answered without a lot more details. Here is basic answer for you base on what you posted.

»www.cardhub.com/edu/whic ··· applies/

WOW! So basically it can vary from situation to situation. In my specific case the accounts were both opened in GA and the bulk of the transactions were likely in GA but I was in AZ for a while before I lost the means to pay them. As I said, in my case, both AZ and GA have the same 6 year length on SoL so short of one state being more "beneficial" or them choosing to do so in their state, it really doesn't matter in my case. I know what I'm asking is rather broad but I'm not looking for assistance in my specific case, I was just curious about the "in general" nature of the question.

It sucks you lost your job or income, but that doesnt mean you don't have to pay. Pay your bills. Work out a payment plan for them. Even if you wait out the statute of limitations, you will never get credit again if you don't
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

And that right there is what I DIDN'T want this to turn into. I don't need info about paying or not paying my bills. I didn't even want to bring my specific situation into this thread because I knew this right here would happen (and both states are the same length so it really doesn't matter in my case). I understand you're just trying to help but really, let's not turn this into that kind of thread.
tdumaine
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by JoelC707:

And that right there is what I DIDN'T want this to turn into. I don't need info about paying or not paying my bills. I didn't even want to bring my specific situation into this thread because I knew this right here would happen (and both states are the same length so it really doesn't matter in my case). I understand you're just trying to help but really, let's not turn this into that kind of thread.

What kind of thread do you really expect it to be when you are asking about the statute of limitations to not pay your credit card bills (voluntarily or involuntarily)?

They have programs ya know, where you call them, tell them you lost your job. They freeze your credit card (so you cant use it anymore) and set you up on a payment plan (to repay them and hopefully not take a credit hit).

If it wasnt me, it would be someone else telling you the same thing.

You know trying to do what you are asking to do is what RAISES rates for EVERYONE? WE end up paying for YOU.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

The kind of thread I expected is the "general info" kind. You know, like the thread subject says? The kind of info 40757180 See Profile gave me. Not the kind of info that tells me something I already know.

And besides, where did I say I wasn't planning on paying it back or anything along those lines? Is it because I reluctantly gave up info about my specific situation and then pointed out since they have the same length it doesn't matter (for me)? That was me trying to steer the thread back in the "general info" direction and not have it go in the "pay your bills" direction.
tdumaine
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by JoelC707:

And besides, where did I say I wasn't planning on paying it back or anything along those lines?

Why else would you want to know what the statute of limitations is?
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Maybe because I'm curious? Maybe it got brought up in a conversation with someone and I didn't know the answer so I asked around? Or maybe because the SoL can apply to different types of debts? Which of course have different lengths that "open" accounts. And PLEASE do not take that as meaning I have yet more debt I'm magically trying to get out of. Take your pick but trust me, it's not because you think I want to be a dead beat or whatever.
tdumaine
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by JoelC707:

Maybe because I'm curious? Maybe it got brought up in a conversation with someone and I didn't know the answer so I asked around? Or maybe because the SoL can apply to different types of debts? Which of course have different lengths that "open" accounts. And PLEASE do not take that as meaning I have yet more debt I'm magically trying to get out of. Take your pick but trust me, it's not because you think I want to be a dead beat or whatever.

There is no other reason the statute of limitations comes into play for. NONE
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned) to tdumaine

to tdumaine
said by tdumaine:

said by JoelC707:

said by 40757180:

You asked question which can't be answered without a lot more details. Here is basic answer for you base on what you posted.

»www.cardhub.com/edu/whic ··· applies/

WOW! So basically it can vary from situation to situation. In my specific case the accounts were both opened in GA and the bulk of the transactions were likely in GA but I was in AZ for a while before I lost the means to pay them. As I said, in my case, both AZ and GA have the same 6 year length on SoL so short of one state being more "beneficial" or them choosing to do so in their state, it really doesn't matter in my case. I know what I'm asking is rather broad but I'm not looking for assistance in my specific case, I was just curious about the "in general" nature of the question.

It sucks you lost your job or income, but that doesnt mean you don't have to pay. Pay your bills. Work out a payment plan for them. Even if you wait out the statute of limitations, you will never get credit again if you don't

Negative score goes off your credit report after 7years. To say that person will never get credit again if they don't pay is just wrong.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

1 edit

JoelC707 to tdumaine

Premium Member

to tdumaine
I agree. But again, what makes you think I'm asking for ME? So universally, someone asks about something (anything, doesn't matter what) and you AUTOMATICALLY assume it's about them and won't take no for an answer? Wow. Just wow.
edit to add a line

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22 to tdumaine

Premium Member

to tdumaine
said by tdumaine:

In addition to being beyond the scope of the op's original inquiry, your assumptive remark certainly reflects your lack of comprehensive reasoning.
tdumaine
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by Chuck22:

said by tdumaine:

In addition to being beyond the scope of the op's original inquiry, your assumptive remark certainly reflects your lack of comprehensive reasoning.

Prove me wrong then?
tdumaine

tdumaine to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

I agree. But again, what makes you think I'm asking for ME? So universally, someone asks about something (anything, doesn't matter what) and you AUTOMATICALLY assume it's about them and won't take no for an answer? Wow. Just wow.
edit to add a line

For your reference:
said by JoelC707 See Profile
[/BQUOTE :

tdumaine

tdumaine to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

Negative score goes off your credit report after 7years. To say that person will never get credit again if they don't pay is just wrong.

Yes the mark goes away, but then explain the long gap in credit, avail credit, etc. They will be able to get secured credit, and work their way up again
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to tdumaine

Premium Member

to tdumaine
said by tdumaine:

said by JoelC707:

edit to add a line

For your reference:

Fixed it for you, pay special attention to the underlined part....

Oh and before you go and claim "not asking for assistance in my specific case" was me admitting I'm planning on dodging my obligations, think again (but if the rest of this thread is any indication, I know you won't), it's not.
JoelC707

JoelC707 to tdumaine

Premium Member

to tdumaine
said by tdumaine:

said by 40757180:

Yes the mark goes away, but then explain the long gap in credit, avail credit, etc. They will be able to get secured credit, and work their way up again

And for your reference, I've already got a secured card and am rebuilding my credit. Thanks.
JoelC707

JoelC707 to tdumaine

Premium Member

to tdumaine
said by tdumaine:

said by Chuck22:

said by tdumaine:

Prove me wrong then?

I've tried. You refuse to accept it and as far as I'm concerned, that is your problem not mine. If you want "proof" that I have some kind of payment plan setup or something like that forget it. I'm not giving up something like that and you can continue to believe (wrongly) whatever you like.
tdumaine
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

said by tdumaine:

said by JoelC707:

edit to add a line

For your reference:

Fixed it for you, pay special attention to the underlined part....

Oh and before you go and claim "not asking for assistance in my specific case" was me admitting I'm planning on dodging my obligations, think again (but if the rest of this thread is any indication, I know you won't), it's not.

So you say its not about "you", i quote and markup where you say "In my specific case" and "I was in AZ for a while before I lost the means to pay them" so your response is to say you arent asking about your specific case, but you really are?
tdumaine

tdumaine to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

I've tried. You refuse to accept it and as far as I'm concerned, that is your problem not mine. If you want "proof" that I have some kind of payment plan setup or something like that forget it. I'm not giving up something like that and you can continue to believe (wrongly) whatever you like.

Prove me wrong was to Chuck22 if you look at that reply, it says "reply to ...." kind of like this one says to you? lol
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to tdumaine

Premium Member

to tdumaine
Here we go again... The helpful people that originally replied indicated that the question was too broad and that specifics were needed. I SPECIFICALLY did not want to provide specifics because of this right here. THAT is the ENTIRE reason for my specific case to even be in this thread. End of story.
JoelC707

JoelC707 to tdumaine

Premium Member

to tdumaine

Sigh.... just stop.
tdumaine
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

Here we go again... The helpful people that originally replied indicated that the question was too broad and that specifics were needed. I SPECIFICALLY did not want to provide specifics because of this right here. THAT is the ENTIRE reason for my specific case to even be in this thread. End of story.

Because you knew someone would say what i did if you were more specific about not wanting to pay.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Putting words in my mouth much?
tdumaine
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by JoelC707:

Putting words in my mouth much?

Only your own words
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Wow are you really that dense? Or do you just not read or better yet just not believe what people tell you?
tdumaine
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by JoelC707:

Wow are you really that dense? Or do you just not read or better yet just not believe what people tell you?

How am i not reading? How am i dense? Iquoted your own words out of your own mouth?
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

OK then, show me where I said I wasn't planning on paying back my debt. I want "my own words", not some assumption from you about this being about me or you just assuming that because I'm asking I must be guilty.
tdumaine
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by JoelC707:

OK then, show me where I said I wasn't planning on paying back my debt. I want "my own words", not some assumption from you about this being about me or you just assuming that because I'm asking I must be guilty.

No, you never said you werent planning on paying them back in those words. You asked about the statute, without any details at all. Then when you did give some details, it's about you not being able to pay and asking about the statute of limitations.

The only reason to ask about the statute of limitations and not being able to pay (like i said, voluntarily or involuntarily), what other assumption is there?

You are not offering any other reason why you would be asking about the statute and not being able to pay. You are getting very defensive about it (when you really shouldnt be) unless that is a correct assumption.

If it is an incorrect assumption, feel free to correct me. Correcting me is not just saying "no thats not what it is just because i say so". Correcting me is not just saying other things.

Correcting me is giving the info, or at the very least saying its a personal reason you do not wish to disclose that, but then that just makes the assumption have even more appearance of being correct.

Any other questions?
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned) to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

If SOL passed, you might as well not pay it. That is just my personal opinion and in no way suggest that you personally not going to pay it back.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to tdumaine

Premium Member

to tdumaine
OK so to recap, I asked a very general question about the statute of limitations and gave no specifics. I gave no specifics because there are at least 4 different categories for SoL on debt and quite frankly I did not want it to be about any specific category (though I admit, in the beginning I didn't clarify I was talking about debt SoL).

When pressed for specifics I used one example from my own situation which happened to be CC debt. I pointed out how GA and AZ (the only two states I have officially lived in) have the same length on CC SoL so it simply does not matter in that case. I could have chosen another pair of states at random or another category (kinda wishing I had done either now....).

Your assumption that because I used a specific example from my own life, coupled with the fact I'm asking about this at all must mean I am dodging my debt is just that, an assumption. It is an incorrect one and you have been told this time and time again. And yet you continue to insist you're right and I'm wrong. WTF? Are you surprised I'm defensive now?

I have given you reasons why I would be asking about this. You chose not to accept them. Again, your problem not mine. You're not going to get any proof from me other than me telling you "you're wrong". If you think I'm going to show you some payment arrangement or anything along those lines you are sadly mistaken.
JoelC707

JoelC707 to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

said by JoelC707:

If SOL passed, you might as well not pay it. That is just my personal opinion and in no way suggest that you personally not going to pay it back.

This I completely agree with. Unless you an pay it all off in one lump sum and get verified proof the debt is paid, all you will be doing is restarting the clock on the SoL. Not a good thing to do at all. And thank you for not making assumptions.