To all, my latest blog;

»wp.me/p1YIXQ-82
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

moovyguy

join:2004-05-10
Ottawa & PSL

Hi Marc,

Is this the first time that TSI has had such a request?
--
.... and the monkey flips the switch.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

Yeah.

soundtech

join:2007-06-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Marc

I'm a subject of their request.

Can anyone recommend a good lawyer for this type of thing?

Thanks.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
reply to TSI Marc

and it begins?...

Absolutely love that you're talking about it... it's an insight to something most everyone never see's..

Thanks Marc

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to soundtech

guessing you got one of Marc's emails then... I don't if you're being honest or not but if so, could I ask you to keep us updated with your progress?

I and probably many others would be very thankful for that. Several people will probably give you lots of suggested lawyers to choose give it a few hours

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Marc

Marc:
Can you confirm that all emails are out already, and there's no queue for some waiting to be sent?

Also, JF asked this:
How much will Rogers and Videotron ding you for each IP to modem MAC translation for cable subs ? (re Voltage)

Do you already have this information without having to request it of them? You have our MAC addresses already, but do you have corresponding IP address?

Also, Rogers/Bell would have this info as well... Is it possible that despite being a customer of Teksavvy, Rogers/Bell could/would 'mistakenly' cough up our info as well as they've already signed affidavits not to fight the orders?
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
reply to TSI Marc

Marc:

Why has this gone as far as it has? The notice claims Canipre "collected evidence" between September 1 and October 30, 2012. The new laws did not take effect until November 7th, 2012. This entire fishing expedition is bunk.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to resa1983

We were not able to identify all IPs yet. Those that have been identified, have been sent.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

videonerd

join:2007-01-21
reply to TSI Marc

Ok so who downloaded such quality flims as "Balls to the Wall (2011)"

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

Marc:

Why has this gone as far as it has? The notice claims Canipre "collected evidence" between September 1 and October 30, 2012. The new laws did not take effect until November 11th. This entire fishing expedition is bunk.

I'm not an expert on Copyright law or a lawyer... from what I can understand, The Copyright laws have been in effect for years. Recently changes were made but they didn't change the nature of the Copyright holders rights... like I say in my blog.. I'm not sure I understand where we're all going with this yet... all I know is that I've lost some sleep over it already!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Holy geez... 2300 TSI accounts.
»copyrightenforcement.ca/voltage-···o-court/
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Chang

@teksavvy.com
reply to soundtech

Try some of these excuses first.

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011···wappers/

tsi_user_mis

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

hi Marc,

Got e-mail too. Never downloaded the stupid movie (budget of movie $10.000.000, gross - $220,282 WTF?). Do you know if other ISP were getting same requests about user information disclosure.

Thank you.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

Did the Harper government lie to us about the limits these lawsuits would have when they told us between $100-$5000?

In addition to statutory or in the alternative actual damages, the plaintiff Voltage Pictures will be seeking relief for costs plus:

-damages for conversion, unlawful interference with economic relations and unjust enrichment in an amount to be proven at trial;
-aggravated, exemplary and punitive damages in the amount of $10,000.00.

I guess if you can be off by 24 billion on a few jets, you can be off by a few thousand in what people can be sued for under your new laws.

soundtech

join:2007-06-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to Tx

Yep, I'm being honest, I got one of the emails.

I expect any lawyer I talk to about this will advise me to be quiet, at least until there's some settlement. I'll let you know.

Sadman

@bell.ca
reply to tsi_user_mis

I must admit that I too was shocked and amased once I recieved a similar e-mail.

I promptly contacted my brother (who is a computer wiz) and he asked me what security I had on my wireless router. I didn't even know they had varying levels of protection, I suppose I will need to add a password to it as soon as I get home!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to tsi_user_mis

said by tsi_user_mis :

hi Marc,

Got e-mail too. Never downloaded the stupid movie (budget of movie $10.000.000, gross - $220,282 WTF?). Do you know if other ISP were getting same requests about user information disclosure.

Thank you.

I dont know about other ISPs. Recently, there was somebody saying that millions had been collected.. we're assuming we're not the only ones.

For the movie, be sure to read carefully what they are saying in the statement of Claim. They are claiming that the works were made available.. i.e. it's not the downloading part they're saying.. it's the making it available to others.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Well, this certainly sucks...

I didn't receive any email, I dont believe I ever downloaded any of these movies, certainly not from bit torrent anyway.
I mainly downloaded stuff from usenet.

»www.voltagepictures.com/titles.aspx

Marc, do you know the start/end dates of these alleged infringements, it would be interesting how long they were scavenging IP's before going forward...
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

For the movie, be sure to read carefully what they are saying in the statement of Claim. They are claiming that the works were made available.. i.e. it's not the downloading part they're saying.. it's the making it available to others.

Marc, for Bit torrent that requires that the movie was downloaded first, unless someone was the initial seeder...
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

I've never even heard of any of their movies o_O

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to HiVolt

i also want to know how far back these go

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

Well, TSI only keeps logs for 90 days, so it can't go back farther than that regardless of how far back the movie company tries to go.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Marc, do you know the start/end dates of these alleged infringements, it would be interesting how long they were scavenging IP's before going forward...

Those who received emails will have the dates specified.. but it's all from the September and October period.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON

I know i've read it but i wanted to get it confirmed what guz said... 90 day log rotation true?

Lastly are you emailing to the @teksavvy accounts? If so I like so many others don't even use those accounts

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Well, TSI only keeps logs for 90 days, so it can't go back farther than that regardless of how far back the movie company tries to go.

That's correct. Though, we have been asked to keep the records for the specified IPs... so, for those affected, that info will be kept until this is all resolved or whenever appropriate.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Those who received emails will have the dates specified.. but it's all from the September and October period.

Yeah thats what i was looking for, a general range... thanks...

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Tx

said by Tx:

I know i've read it but i wanted to get it confirmed what guz said... 90 day log rotation true?

Lastly are you emailing to the @teksavvy accounts? If so I like so many others don't even use those accounts

Same email addy as where we send invoices. The emails were sent sent from support at teksavvy dot com.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

sMURF

join:2007-02-27
Toronto, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

I've never even heard of any of their movies o_O

Well of course. They're all bad movies. They're butthurt that they lost money peddling trash, so now they're going to try to extort some money out of people to make up for it.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Some may have wondered about this but I figure I'd best just put it out there. We also opted to not use the Infusionsoft tools that we sometimes use for notices. We wanted to be 100% sure not raise any privacy concerns.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy