share rss forum feed

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to FatBastid

Re: Blog - Copyright Infringement Lawsuit

All of those are related to the actual registration. Operating under something different is an entirely different set of rules. There are all sorts of rules related to having legal names on cheques and contracts and all sorts of stuff like that which many businesses are rarely ever in compliance with. The enforcement, and even the penalties, are next to nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If you're going to try to go down this route, you will find the results outright uninspiring and not at all worth anyone's time.

jkoblovsky

join:2011-09-27
Keswick, ON
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

Teksavvy Appears to Have Failed to Address Privacy Responsibilities In Today’s Hearing:

»jkoblovsky.wordpress.com/2013/01···hearing/

While watching 3 twitter feeds today it appeared as though Teksavvy did directly challenge some of Voltages evidence, or signaled it’s intention to do so. I even tweeted with respect to that. Todays media reports paint a completely different picture. While I was not in the court room, it seems the calls that Teksavvy has come out from hiding behind rocks and sticking up for customers may be a bit premature. I don’t think in today’s hearing they have completely satisfied their responsibility in that regard. The CIPPIC has been granted intervention status, but that should not absolve Teksavvy’s legal responsibilities to its customers under privacy law, and in order for anything that’s done by the CIPPIC moving forward to stick in other cases, Teksavvy must get involved in directly challenging the evidence. If a precedent is set by the CIPPIC, and ISPs are still hiding under rocks, it’s not going to be used going forward. I’ll explain in my forthcoming comments.

I’m going to be taking a few days off on blogging on this to watch, read and learn. I’ve sparked off a national debate on the subject, and would ask all consumers interested to keep informed and up to date. There’s a lot to digest including some very important points for the future of digital policy going forward.

I’m also currently editing my podcast due up on Wednesday on a completely different and fun topic, last weeks Consumer Electronic Show. Once that’s done I’ll have some time to write a bit more on this, and by then I’ll have a clearer picture on what transpired in the court room today.
--
My Canadian Tech Podcast: »canadiantechnetwork.podbean.com/
My Self Help and Digital Policy Blog: »jkoblovsky.wordpress.com/

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

said by jkoblovsky:

I've sparked off a national debate on the subject ......

Wow!! One guy did ALL that?? Whodda thunk it.
You know that without your personal plea I'm certain that we all would have let this matter drop from our collective minds as being merely inconsequential.

Will you be going on a personal appearance & book signing tour any time soon?
Please let us all know - we're waiting with bated breath.
Expand your moderator at work

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
reply to jkoblovsky

Re: Blog - Copyright Infringement Lawsuit

said by jkoblovsky:

While I was not in the court room, it seems the calls that Teksavvy has come out from hiding behind rocks and sticking up for customers may be a bit premature. I don’t think in today’s hearing they have completely satisfied their responsibility in that regard.

I wasn't in the court room either but since Marc has stated that he made a deal not to oppose Voltage Picture's motion it's clear that Teksavvy's position won't change.

Teksavvy must get involved in directly challenging the evidence.

I agree. In my opinion, an ISP's challenge holds more weight than a third party's challenge. The problem seems to be that Marc believes that the new copyright laws prevent an ISP from doing this, but as Howard Knopf has pointed out in his blog, this is not true. There is nothing in the new copyright laws that states an ISP can't challenge these types of motions.

If there is a next time, hopefully Teksavvy will oppose these trolls.

jkoblovsky

Keswick, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs See Profile
You know that without your personal plea I'm certain that we all would have let this matter drop from our collective minds as being merely inconsequential.

If I was interested in that that would have been done a some time ago. This is a debate within academics mostly right now, and not very well publicized in media. I wouldn't be able to argue at the academic level anyway. I'm too dumb
--

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by jkoblovsky:

If I was interested in that that would have been done a some time ago. This is a debate within academics mostly right now, and not very well publicized in media. I wouldn't be able to argue at the academic level anyway. I'm too dumb

Actually it's beyond academic - it's a real world legal issue with real consequences for thousands of people now, and probably with respect to how Canada is perceived by our US masters on the copyright infringement front.

Don't believe for an instant that the issue will permanently go away if the Court rules that IP address !== a person. Soon enough IPV6 will both crucify or set people free copyright-wise - depending on how ISP's allocate addresses, and several other factors.

Academics are mostly interested in this case because eventually they're going to have to teach the outcome to their students.

jkoblovsky

Keswick, ON

Actually it's beyond academic - it's a real world legal issue with real consequences for thousands of people now, and probably with respect to how Canada is perceived by our US masters on the copyright infringement front.

Don't believe for an instant that the issue will permanently go away if the Court rules that IP address !== a person. Soon enough IPV6 will both crucify or set people free copyright-wise - depending on how ISP's allocate addresses, and several other factors.

I agree, and to a large extent information is needed for those thousands of people to help educate them on the issues. The questions I'm asking when I comment seem to be answered by the academic community. It's all about getting useful information out to those effected. You have to keep in mind though, that everyone has their own sometimes strong opinions on the matter.

The group here that seems to be commenting seem to be very good and civil people. I hope that the debate remains that way, and consumers get a lot of useful information going forward.

»openmedia.ca/blog/update-voltage···-crusade

--

ezebob2

join:2008-06-06
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Have any of you heard the saying
"Like lamb to slaughter"
You are witnessing it right now, Voltage, their troll lawyers, Canipre, and their principle owners have been and continue to be led down the garden path. We now have sworn statements in court that can be used against them. Their little get rich quick scheme has already bankrupted several former partners, including lawyers representing them, and others who represented themselves as "experts" in forensics for internet downloading. These poor bastards have a long and dirty tract record worldwide. They have been found guilty in at least two countries, are in multiple legal cases in the US as DEFENDANTS.

Lets give them just a little more rope to properly hang themselves.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

2 recommendations

David Ellis posted his thoughts, and a really great play by play of everything that happend in court yesterday.

If you want to read his thoughts, read the entire thing. If you just want to read the summary, scroll down to "What happened in the courtroom today".

»www.davidellis.ca/teksavvy-custo···t-today/
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by resa1983:

David Ellis posted his thoughts, and a really great play by play of everything that happend in court yesterday.

If you want to read his thoughts, read the entire thing. If you just want to read the summary, scroll down to "What happened in the courtroom today".

That was a great read. Thanks for that. I am swayed. Well, that and a few of my more widely known amigos here have pointed a few things out to me that I was unable to see due to my judgment being clouded by... uh... tin foil.

And also, thanks for your work yesterday, I appreciate it very much.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by dillyhammer:

said by resa1983:

That was a great read. Thanks for that. I am swayed. Well, that and a few of my more widely known amigos here have pointed a few things out to me that I was unable to see due to my judgment being clouded by... uh... tin foil.

Ya gotta get the tin foil with the tiny pinholes in it. Blocks out all the negative waves yet still allows you to see through it.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

Great article.

I feel somewhat vindicated as a Teksavvy fan and supporter. I've taken a lot of heat in this forum over the past little while in accusations of fanboism and the like. For me, I always expected Teksavvy to do what it has always done and that is - put it's customers first. I was right in that expectation. That is what sets them apart from the competition and that is why I have always supported them. It's a no-brainer.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to dillyhammer

Good to hear, and you might want to dump the tin foil for a faraday cage headpiece instead so you can get air thru to the brain, its really hard to think without oxygenating

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to resa1983

The Judge, unlike his American counterparts is interested in the "facts", and wants to understand the entire process before making a ruling.

The American judges (though they seem to be waking up) have been living rubber stamps for the various copyright holders.

My guess is that Voltage expected it to be a cakewalk like in the US, the costs of pursuing this is going to be far higher then they can ever expect to recoup, if TSI is asking for 190K to cover their expenses, I can't imagine what it's going to cost when it's all said and done.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TwiztedZero

said by TwiztedZero:

Good to hear, and you might want to dump the tin foil for a faraday cage headpiece instead so you can get air thru to the brain, its really hard to think without oxygenating

heh copper is more expensive than aluminum
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

The Judge, unlike his American counterparts is interested in the "facts", and wants to understand the entire process before making a ruling.

The American judges (though they seem to be waking up) have been living rubber stamps for the various copyright holders.

My guess is that Voltage expected it to be a cakewalk like in the US, the costs of pursuing this is going to be far higher then they can ever expect to recoup, if TSI is asking for 190K to cover their expenses, I can't imagine what it's going to cost when it's all said and done.

This judge really seemed interested in the case - was taking a ton of notes - and probably would have taken the case if not for the fact that he was already in the middle of a large case.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13

I was thinking if there is a downside to this it is that there will probably be another judge at the next hearing

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

awesome read. I'm glad Marc, has this going fourth I need to send him a kudos.
--
It's ok to say, 'I don't know'. It's even better when someone takes the time to explain what you, 'don't know'.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to AkFubar

said by AkFubar:

said by resa1983:

Great article.

I feel somewhat vindicated as a Teksavvy fan and supporter. I've taken a lot of heat in this forum over the past little while in accusations of fanboism and the like. For me, I always expected Teksavvy to do what it has always done and that is - put it's customers first. I was right in that expectation. That is what sets them apart from the competition and that is why I have always supported them. It's a no-brainer.

I'd say something but Ak said it all. +1

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

Weird dupe posting event, and I'm not going to repeat what I originally said.

Mike

Mephisto13

join:2008-05-16
Gatineau, QC
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

said by AkFubar:

said by resa1983:

Great article.

I'd say something but Ak said it all. +1

Hear, hear!

Voltage

join:2013-01-13
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

thank you for posting. as a Teksavvy user this means a lot. especially after the last few weeks.

it probably seems like many users lashed out unfairly at Teksavvy. for my part, im apologizing if that is how i came off. for myself, this entire thing came out of nowhere. it blindsided me and all of sudden courts and legal stuff was a real possibility. im not expert in law or copyright or any of this stuff. even unnamed it scared the **** out of me. still stresses me a bit tbh. i dont want what i am about to say to be seen as an emotional knee jerk reaction. but if Teksavvy were to send out a letter or something, describing this like David Ellis did, and asked for donations to help this cause, i would donate. just sayin.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Voltage:

said by resa1983:

thank you for posting. as a Teksavvy user this means a lot. especially after the last few weeks.

it probably seems like many users lashed out unfairly at Teksavvy. for my part, im apologizing if that is how i came off. for myself, this entire thing came out of nowhere. it blindsided me and all of sudden courts and legal stuff was a real possibility. im not expert in law or copyright or any of this stuff. even unnamed it scared the **** out of me. still stresses me a bit tbh. i dont want what i am about to say to be seen as an emotional knee jerk reaction. but if Teksavvy were to send out a letter or something, describing this like David Ellis did, and asked for donations to help this cause, i would donate. just sayin.

Pretty mature reply, I'd say. A few of the hard-core anti-TekSavvy types are still throwing around the accusations of "fanboi" and such, but for the most part I think people are acknowledging that TekSavvy has done well so far. Lots of warning, got things pushed back, working to get CIPPIC into play. All good.

Doesn't mean we'll win, but things look better today than they did a month ago and that's a small victory to be sure. In the meantime, if you're worried, I really do recommend shelling out a few bucks a month for VPN & proxy services. They may not be perfect, but they're an excellent first line of defense against copyright trolls and other would-be privacy invaders.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

They should have paid attention to earlier Canadian cases, including the one judged by von F ... In general, the Canadian courts are much more stringent about meeting the requirements of the law.