dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
reply to MaynardKrebs

Re: Blog - Copyright Infringement Lawsuit

Weird dupe posting event, and I'm not going to repeat what I originally said.

Mike

Mephisto13

join:2008-05-16
Gatineau, QC
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

said by AkFubar:

said by resa1983:

David Ellis posted his thoughts, and a really great play by play of everything that happend in court yesterday.

If you want to read his thoughts, read the entire thing. If you just want to read the summary, scroll down to "What happened in the courtroom today".

»www.davidellis.ca/teksavvy-custo···t-today/

Great article.

I feel somewhat vindicated as a Teksavvy fan and supporter. I've taken a lot of heat in this forum over the past little while in accusations of fanboism and the like. For me, I always expected Teksavvy to do what it has always done and that is - put it's customers first. I was right in that expectation. That is what sets them apart from the competition and that is why I have always supported them. It's a no-brainer.

I'd say something but Ak said it all. +1

Hear, hear!

Voltage

join:2013-01-13
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

David Ellis posted his thoughts, and a really great play by play of everything that happend in court yesterday.

If you want to read his thoughts, read the entire thing. If you just want to read the summary, scroll down to "What happened in the courtroom today".

thank you for posting. as a Teksavvy user this means a lot. especially after the last few weeks.

it probably seems like many users lashed out unfairly at Teksavvy. for my part, im apologizing if that is how i came off. for myself, this entire thing came out of nowhere. it blindsided me and all of sudden courts and legal stuff was a real possibility. im not expert in law or copyright or any of this stuff. even unnamed it scared the **** out of me. still stresses me a bit tbh. i dont want what i am about to say to be seen as an emotional knee jerk reaction. but if Teksavvy were to send out a letter or something, describing this like David Ellis did, and asked for donations to help this cause, i would donate. just sayin.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Voltage:

said by resa1983:

thank you for posting. as a Teksavvy user this means a lot. especially after the last few weeks.

it probably seems like many users lashed out unfairly at Teksavvy. for my part, im apologizing if that is how i came off. for myself, this entire thing came out of nowhere. it blindsided me and all of sudden courts and legal stuff was a real possibility. im not expert in law or copyright or any of this stuff. even unnamed it scared the **** out of me. still stresses me a bit tbh. i dont want what i am about to say to be seen as an emotional knee jerk reaction. but if Teksavvy were to send out a letter or something, describing this like David Ellis did, and asked for donations to help this cause, i would donate. just sayin.

Pretty mature reply, I'd say. A few of the hard-core anti-TekSavvy types are still throwing around the accusations of "fanboi" and such, but for the most part I think people are acknowledging that TekSavvy has done well so far. Lots of warning, got things pushed back, working to get CIPPIC into play. All good.

Doesn't mean we'll win, but things look better today than they did a month ago and that's a small victory to be sure. In the meantime, if you're worried, I really do recommend shelling out a few bucks a month for VPN & proxy services. They may not be perfect, but they're an excellent first line of defense against copyright trolls and other would-be privacy invaders.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:12
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

My guess is that Voltage expected it to be a cakewalk like in the US, the costs of pursuing this is going to be far higher then they can ever expect to recoup, if TSI is asking for 190K to cover their expenses, I can't imagine what it's going to cost when it's all said and done.

They should have paid attention to earlier Canadian cases, including the one judged by von F ... In general, the Canadian courts are much more stringent about meeting the requirements of the law.