Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

1 edit

[ALL] Cable Modem Chipsets - Broadcom vs TI

As a general rule - is one preferred over the other for 1) stability, and 2) performance?

From what I have gathered (feel free to correct)
Moto:
6120/6121/6141 - TI
6180/6580 - Broadcom

Cisco:
DPC3010 - Broadcom

I got the impression from some of the local contacts I've made over the last few weeks that the 3010 had some issue - probably very minor - but they seemed to prefer the 612x. I'm wondering if it is modem specific, or chipset specific.

Any input on this?

phxuser

join:2010-03-16
Scottsdale, AZ

The SB6141 is also TI based, is an 8x4 channel D3 modem, uses the same firmware as the 6120 and 6121 and is supported by Cox according to their supported modems page.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

Thanks - added to list.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to phxuser

Does the 6141 have all the issues the 6120 has?
--
Despises any post with strings.

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to bchandler02

I think the general reason people prefer the motos is the ability to view the logs and signals... many things we are accustomed to checking are blocked from being accessed on the cisco models.

Many who prefer the ciscos remember how long it took to get the 6120s to become even halfway stable. Though now I think this has become moot, though obviously dvd536 still has that bitterness about it (sorry if this is still an on going problem, I thought it was fixed long ago, I support a couple of dozen people with them in phoenix without problems)

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bchandler02

Agree that the motos are more helpful for those of us that care to see logs - but when looking at the actual chipsets are there any preferences? (Ex: aside from the 8x4 vs 4x4, would anyone prefer a 612x over a 6x80?)

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

If I knew I could purchase a 6180 and be guaranteed to have no problems provisioning it I would choose it over the 612x based on past experiences with 612x before the firmware upgrades that appear to make them stable as I did not have any problems with the 6180/6580 at that time... Since it is listed as supported and cox no longer sells them (was told they only sell gateways now) they may be more inclined to provision one bought by a 3rd party (even says so on supported modem page) but in the past you had to buy it from them since they were not sold at retail and if bought by a 3rd party their was the possibility it was stolen or they didn't pay the bill and they would not provision it and if bought today that may still happen.

My reason for not choosing the 6580 is I don't want a gateway built in. Never liked that but some of the newer announced arris gateways (like the DG2470, expected early next year) are looking nice enough to change my mind if they ever approve them, at least to the point I want to try it. Though I'm sure the first few months of their approval (if ever) will go through the same firmware pains as all the others.