uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zionikk

join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Can anyone tell me what to expect?

A few days ago I ordered the 10mb internet for my home in North Baltimore, Ohio. I did the ordering online and when I was finished they sent me an email confirming that they got my order. It also said that someone would be out here on the 17th to do the installation. The email said that they would send me another email once my ordered was finished processing. So far I haven't got the email, so does anyone have an idea how long that usually takes?

Also, I got the 10mb because that's the fastest they had in my area. But I'm worried it won't work as well as it should because I've read tons of bad reviews and very few good ones. I do school online, I'm a competitive online gamer and I download and upload videos. You think my 10mb will be able to handle that?

chaser48crdf

join:2012-11-30
Chilhowee, MO
It can depend upon how close you are to the telco dslam equipment. I was 8 city block to the dslam with a 10M connection via Embarqmail (centurylink) and had no problems great connection and loved it. Now I live over 2 miles (by copper path) from dslam. I currently pay for 4M but measure 2.5M. It all depend upon many variables (ie. solid copper line in house, distance from house to dslam, saturation of subscribers on dslam, etc.)
--
Chance
Chilhowee, MO (2.7 miles from town via copper path)
Centurylink 4.0M (actual 2.0-2.5M) w/Local and LD phone $70.00

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Well I'm not sure if its gonna be copper line or fiber optic. Also I have no idea where the dslam is around here. How could I possibly find out? I could be wrong but I don't think many people have centurylink in my area. I wasn't even aware that I could get it.

chaser48crdf

Chilhowee, MO
Well you posted to the centurylink forum so I assumed you were connecting with centurylink. Hope you have a successful connection.

ydoucare

join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by chaser48crdf:

Well you posted to the centurylink forum so I assumed you were connecting with centurylink. Hope you have a successful connection.

You can post here without being a Centurylink subscriber.

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
reply to chaser48crdf
I am connecting with CenturyLink.

chaser48crdf

Chilhowee, MO
Sorry, Misread your post.
Usually they connect with copper. The dslam is usually inside a central office. Central offices are normally near the center on city (downtown). Dslam can also be housed in a metal enclosure that service a neighborhood. The central office is a small to medium building that has no windows and sometime has the company decal on the door. At least this is the case in towns of 1-2000. You'll enjoy the extra speed. I know I did when I had it at my last house.
--
Chance
Chilhowee, MO (2.7 miles from town via copper path)
Centurylink 4.0M (actual 2.0-2.5M) w/Local and LD phone $70.00

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Zionikk
Well I just got an email from Centurylink. Apparently they couldn't process my order at this time because they do not provide service in my area. This is very disappointing news because before I made my order, the website said: Congratulations! We provide service in your area. Or something similar to that.

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..
said by Zionikk:

Well I just got an email from Centurylink. Apparently they couldn't process my order at this time because they do not provide service in my area. This is very disappointing news because before I made my order, the website said: Congratulations! We provide service in your area. Or something similar to that.

I'm sorry you ran into that problem - but you have just described what's wrong with Centurylink in a nutshell...and you aren't even a customer.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to Zionikk
Hey Zionikk -

Rich here with Centurylink Help, sorry for the confusion. The second email comes when the order "is in final completion" meaning when the modem has shipped and the provisioning on the network DSLAM is complete, which is generally the day of the installation. Modems generally ship out 24-48 business hours before the order is due, so if your due on Monday the 17th, modem should ship Friday or Saturday to arrive by Monday and provisioning will complete between Friday and Monday afternoon.

If you want more details, send us your order details, address & contact info to TalkToUs@Centurylink.com or »bit.ly/TALKTOUS

Rich
Social Media Manager
Customer Advocacy Group
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Well the second email said that you guys didn't provide services in my area, even though the website said you did.

I paid the $17 service activation fee, I'm wondering if I will get that back since I apparently can't get internet.

And if they did send a modem, what am I suppose to do with it?

mooch
No Booing Allowed

join:2001-11-11
Dublin, OH
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
Zionikk...Kinda sounds like Rich at Centurylink didn't read your post saying your second email indicated Centurylink couldn't provide service. Sorry to hear they got your hopes up..hard to believe they went from telling you there was 10meg service available to you and that dried up and turned into no service whatsover! I hope you get your $17 back without having to jump thru too many hoops! I take it you don't have a cable company in the area as another option?

Chaser48crdf...your comment that DSLAMS are inside a central office that are in the center of a city isn't a good description of where DSLAMS are located. I live about 8 miles from town and my connection comes off a DSLAM a mile down the road that is fiber fed. If it weren't for DSLAMs being located in various spots on the side of the road, it wouldn't be possible for folks who lived outside of town to get DSL. I would hope that at this point a good number of DSLAMs are fiber fed or folks would not be able to get much in the way of download speeds. A lot of times, customers in non-urban areas will be on a fiber fed DSLAM but it's then copper from the DSLAM to their house.

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Ha yeah we have Time Warner Cable in our area, but if you look in that forum you can see a thread I made about TWC not allowing me services because my mother that I don't even live with owes them money.