All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy

Basic cable - rep say digital box required... Huh?

Last week when all but 27 channels disappeared I phoned and requested that my account be put down to basic cable (to reduce cold turkey side effects when I go cable free shortly). I was told I still need a box even with the basic cable and I can't downgrade unless I get the digital box. I was like what? So you're saying I need a digital box no matter what, rep says yes.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

If you just have basic cable, then no box is required, as you witness now...

Find another rep...

fan13027
join:2008-10-26
Kelowna, BC

fan13027 to analog andy

to analog andy
Not true, at least here in Winnipeg. I tested this personally as little as 1 month ago. Cable from wall straight to flat panel TV - worked just fine.
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy to kevinds

to kevinds
Ok so the csr was lying when she said I couldn't downgrade unless I took their digital box and paid for other boxes if I wanted to use other tv's.

Basically I phoned in to downgrade down to basic why pay for the other channels when I can't see them. I have 4 tv in the house and had no desire to pay extra money for 3 box rentals might as well get OTA for news and media players for the rest of the tv entertainment. Wanted to keep the basic to keep the off cable transition smooth.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to analog andy

to analog andy
I think the long term plan is to eventually remove all channels from analog. Maybe they're trying to hook everyone up with digital boxes to make that step easier when it happens.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I don't think they are allowed to remove all the analog stations, otherwise I am sure they would have...
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy to zod5000

to zod5000
I thought it was kinda weird to say I can't downgrade unless I take the box? I just wanted to get the basic but after hearing that I just told her to cancel my subscription on top of that she said it was going to be $41+ which is kinda insane for 27 channels.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Personal TV on their site says $34.90 (needs a box)
I can't find basic TV though.

»www.shaw.ca/television/d ··· l-basic/
I found this for Digital Basic, which I believe is basic with the free digital channels, so it probably is $41.95, seems a little high too to me too...
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy

All I wanted to do is get the lowest possible package, mostly for news and Wheel/Jeopardy for out 92 year old grandma while the rest of us watched netfix/hulu/internet

So whats this package »www.shaw.ca/television/p ··· onal-tv/ ? It say 19.95 for "new" customers and $34.90 regular price/excisting customer. I wasn't even sure why she said $41+

This is from their site

»www.shaw.ca/television/d ··· stomers/

In order to continue watching channels such as A&E, TLC, Discovery, CNN, The Score and Food Network, you will need a Digital Box for your TV.

Your Basic Cable channels (like Global, CTV, CBC, NBC, etc.) will still be available on any TV not connected to a Digital Box.

news
@videotron.ca

news to kevinds

Anon

to kevinds
I don't know for Shaw, but a lot of cable companies won't offer analog cable anymore for new customers. Analog cable is still available on there cable plant, but a customer with extended analog service who wants to downgrade to basic service can't, cause analog basic service isn't for sale anymore, he have to subscribe to a digital package. New customers can't subscribe to analog either.

The goal is to tranfer a maximum of analog only customers to digital, so it will be easier for the company when they will stop analog broadcast on their cable plant, cause most of their customers will already use digital cable, less fees for the company (less cable box to give for free to analog only customers).
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy

Well that's kind of weird as someone people just feel ripped off not being able to downgrade unless they take a box. If the analog is still there I don't need a box or want to pay the $3+ for other boxes.

I'd have to be paying $50+ for poor ass basic cable. At that rate in the long run its cheaper to buy/build 4 OTA antennas, buy 3/4 WD live boxes, pay for the DNS service and pay for Netflix/Hulu/Etc...

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to news

Premium Member

to news
Business internet, comes with the analog basic stations, for new customers too...

@analog andy, which speed of internet do you have?

You wouldn't need to pay for/buy 4 OTA antennas, one would do, and a 4 way splitter

But yes, the basic package still exists, but for some reason, you have to 'know someone' in order to get it...
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to kevinds

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

I don't think they are allowed to remove all the analog stations, otherwise I am sure they would have...

Actually they can. There is nothing stopping them.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Ok, I hadn't gotten confirmation either way.

Inate
@shawcable.net

Inate

Anon

The $41 price is with the digital cable box rental($3.95) and taxes.

A lot of places have gone under a total digital upgrade, which means that you cannot access the analog signal any longer as they are only pushing digital in that area.
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP

It was my impression that the areas that were getting the upgrade to 250Mbps service were ones that had moved to all digital or mostly all digital subscribers. I think that's why the transition is taking longer than anticipated, surprisingly not everyone wants to pay for a digital box if they are getting a perfectly good analog signal now.
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy to Inate

to Inate
said by Inate :

A lot of places have gone under a total digital upgrade, which means that you cannot access the analog signal any longer as they are only pushing digital in that area.

I'm still get up to channel 27 (Surrey area) but I guess I'd better start building that OTA antenna and get Netflix/Hulu ready. Got the living room HTPC all ready
analog andy

analog andy to kevinds

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

Business internet, comes with the analog basic stations, for new customers too...

@analog andy, which speed of internet do you have?

Sorry I don't have internet with SHAW anymore. I got rid of that two years ago as the lines in my house are old and instead of running a new line they just kept on giving me splitters. After the third guy came in to install a new line it was raining a little and I guess he didn't want to get wet so my daughter said he told her this yet another splitter will fix the signal issues. Well obviously nothing happened and the internet and digital cable would go down every 15 min. So I canceled the internet and returned the digital box next day.

You wouldn't need to pay for/buy 4 OTA antennas, one would do, and a 4 way splitter

Yah looks like I'll need a signal booster. I'll get that set up this weekend.
analog andy

analog andy to Inate

to Inate
said by Inate :

But the first digital box rental is suppose to be free.
mr nobody
join:2004-12-02

mr nobody to analog andy

to analog andy
27 channels, we only get 22 here in Edmonton with out a box... Grr.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

As a side note, all other methods of TV require boxes: DSL and Digital Satellite. Cable will likely go all digital as well to use spectrum more efficiently. Spectrum is expensive.

testfire
@shawcable.net

testfire to mr nobody

Anon

to mr nobody
said by mr nobody:

27 channels, we only get 22 here in Edmonton with out a box... Grr.

You should get 2-22, 51, 70, 119, 120, 122, 123 or something like that.

Inate
@shawcable.net

Inate

Anon

The switch over to all digital will be happening in the future as it is a much more efficient method of signal transport and ends up opening up more bandwidth for cable services.
Analog will go the way of the do-do sooner rather than later, it just takes some time for everything to switch over.

Find a cheap shaw cable box on your local classifieds or via ebay if you don't want to pay to rent one or buy a new one and you still want tv.
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy

said by Inate :

The switch over to all digital will be happening in the future as it is a much more efficient method of signal transport and ends up opening up more bandwidth for cable services.
Analog will go the way of the do-do sooner rather than later, it just takes some time for everything to switch over.

Find a cheap shaw cable box on your local classifieds or via ebay if you don't want to pay to rent one or buy a new one and you still want tv.

Already cancelled my Shaw cable, last day should be Jan 1ST The only thing left is building the OTA antennas for local news. I got two WD TV live and an HTPC on the main tv. Unotelly, Hulu Plus, Netlfix and Crackle got the moves and shows covered. The main thing will be getting cooking shows for the wife. Will have to do some downloading for a bit to get them.

Funny thing about a week ago some guy calls late at night and says he's from Shaw and started talking about me disconnecting my cable. (I also ordered Cable Internet 3 days before from a local ISP (Lightspeed) He was asking why and how for a special price he can hook me up with basic cable for $24.99 for 6 months or even basic cable for like $19.99 or something. WTF? OK? Then started to try to sell me cable internet. I said I didn't want cable or internet anymore. Anyways he said if I changed my mind here's my phone # and call me if I change my mind.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8

Smart move going to OTA. It was a hard switch for my wife and 3 kids initially but I built a great HTPC using windows 7 and media center. I have a full guide and the ability to record 2 shows and watch 1 at the same time. My wife now loves it. The picture is better than anything you will get from shaw. Netflix picks up some of the shows the kids miss.

Not sure what the future of OTA will be but I can see the shaws of the world trying to kill it if they could, especially since they own some of the network stations that provide it.