Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[TiVo] TiVo might be failing

I went to watch an episode of Law & Order and it only got the last 17 minutes of the program. The TiVo also reset itself the other day when mom says it did when she pushed too many buttons at once. I suspect a failing hard drive but I want to know what the exact symptoms of a failing DVR/TiVo hard drive are.

If it is failing, I'll probably just get a Comcast DVR or get the whole-house DVR offering from Comcast. I might replace the HDD in my TiVo at a later date when I have spare time. I am not in a position to replace the TiVo because I forked over a boatload of money for the box and lifetime subscription. I might look into the X1 DVR as well. I have a Comcast DVR in my bedroom and I might move that downstairs since I rarely watch recorded shows in the bedroom but the living room gets plenty of DVR usage.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:8

IDK, you may want to pursue having your TiVo repaired/replaced to get the value out of your Lifetime Subscription:

14. Product Lifetime Subscriptions. A "Product Lifetime Subscription" to the TiVo service covers the life of the TiVo DVR you buy – not the life of the subscriber. The Product Lifetime Subscription accompanies the TiVo DVR in case of ownership transfer. The subscription remains in effect if the TiVo DVR needs to be repaired or replaced due to a malfunction (see manufacturer or retailer warranty details) or even if you upgrade your TiVo DVR to increase storage capacity (though such upgrades, if not performed by TiVo or a TiVo-authorized third party, will void the warranty on your TiVo DVR and constitute a breach of this Agreement). Because a Product Lifetime Subscription is linked to a particular TiVo DVR, you may not transfer it to any other TiVo DVR unless all the following conditions apply: (a) the TiVo DVR is being replaced pursuant to the manufacturer's or retailer's warranty; and (b) the TiVo DVR being replaced is of the same make and model as the replacement TiVo DVR; and (c) you provide us with a proof of replacement by the manufacturer or retailer. TiVo reserves the right to charge you a fee to transfer Product Lifetime Service from a TiVo DVR being replaced to a replacement TiVo DVR. Each TiVo DVR purchased requires its own TiVo service subscription and activation. Of course, hardware products don't last forever and their lifespan will vary. TiVo makes no warranties or representations as to the expected lifetime of the TiVo DVR (aside from the manufacturer's or retailer's warranty).

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1

The TiVo is out of warranty. I am wondering where I could get a TiVo repaired.

Maybe the Best Buy Geek Squad repairs them.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I went to watch an episode of Law & Order and it only got the last 17 minutes of the program. The TiVo also reset itself the other day when mom says it did when she pushed too many buttons at once. I suspect a failing hard drive but I want to know what the exact symptoms of a failing DVR/TiVo hard drive are.

If it is failing, I'll probably just get a Comcast DVR or get the whole-house DVR offering from Comcast. I might replace the HDD in my TiVo at a later date when I have spare time. I am not in a position to replace the TiVo because I forked over a boatload of money for the box and lifetime subscription. I might look into the X1 DVR as well. I have a Comcast DVR in my bedroom and I might move that downstairs since I rarely watch recorded shows in the bedroom but the living room gets plenty of DVR usage.

You should go here and ask about your problems. It is a tivo help forum.

»www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?
--
Caddy

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:8

There are also these sites:

»www.fixmytivo.com/

»www.tivopedia.com/tivo-repair.php

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by telcodad:

There are also these sites:

»www.fixmytivo.com/

»www.tivopedia.com/tivo-repair.php

I did not know about those sites. Good to know about them.
--
Caddy

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
reply to IowaCowboy

geek squad... ha... it'd cost you less to buy a new TiVo box then have them repair one...

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

I wouldn't let the geek squad tell me what time it is.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to neufuse

From what I was told by Geek Squad member as well as other Best Buy employees, they don't actually fix anything in store but instead send it out to a third party for repairs.