spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lonon

@rogers.com

Third Party ISPs in Vancouver area?

I'm moving out to Vancouver in the near future and would like to know what third party ISPs there are like Teksavvy or Start.ca.

The big ISPs are Shaw(cable) and Telus(DSL)

What else is in the Vancouver area?

Also would appreciate help on choosing a wireless carrier.

Mister M

join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

I'll be the first....

Here we go!

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to lonon

Teksavvy is available in Vancouver.

If you live in Rogers land, the wireless carriers available out in Vancouver are likely the same as what is available to you now.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to lonon

Price-wise and service-wise, TekSavvy West Cable. I'm doubting that the few other wholesalers have the same footprint in Metro Van. Start.ca isn't in the West. Telus backed UBB and recently put out a press release halving their caps.

For wireless, you may want to join Wind Mobile during the holidays (prior to the 31st) to get one of their Unlimited Wish plans, »www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/Unlim···ans.aspx . These plans are the best and are only offered once a year.

You can probably use a small antenna, »www.winegard.com/flatwave/costco.php , in your window to get digital reception on your tube.

If you're smart get a Nexus card and start shopping across the border in Bellingham, Washington.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

1 edit
reply to lonon

I use Lightspeed lightspeed.ca for naked adsl. Ive been with them for a few years. A few issues here and there but no show stoppers

Kane Hart

join:2012-11-17
reply to lonon

Your asking for better then shaw? GO FACK YOURSELF LOL.

misternox

join:2009-12-17
canada
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

Price-wise and service-wise, TekSavvy West Cable. I'm doubting that the few other wholesalers have the same footprint in Metro Van. Start.ca isn't in the West. Telus backed UBB and recently put out a press release halving their caps.

There's also Nucleus which has similar offers but with different caps and they have the 50 Mbps DSL (Teksavvy's still MIA on this one).

Not completely relevant since this is a Vancouver thread but Nucleus also offers 50 & 100 Mbps Cable in certain areas of Alberta.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to lonon

Nucleus looks like an interesting alternative, especially if you are in Alberta. The good thing about TekSavvy is you have the ear of the CEO, Marc, here on DSLR. I think it speaks volumes that he is being so transparent right now about the copyright trolls.

--

lonon

@rogers.com
reply to Kane Hart

said by Kane Hart:

Oh wow Shaw is that awful? i'm with Rogers and aside from the price and low caps, which are not a problem since I got a promo (no contract), my speeds have been great though there were a few downtimes.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

lonon

@rogers.com
reply to bbbc

Is Teksavvy and Light Speed the only third party offering cable in greater Vancouver?

I signed up with Netflix and realized that DSL is not going to be competitive at the speeds I want, especially with dry loop.

Kane Hart

join:2012-11-17
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to lonon

said by lonon :

said by Kane Hart:

Oh wow Shaw is that awful? i'm with Rogers and aside from the price and low caps, which are not a problem since I got a promo (no contract), my speeds have been great though there were a few downtimes.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Sorry I thought you were with Shaw cable asking for better. No Shaw is one the best companies in all of Canada for high speed. East its Rogers as they have cheaper prices double the caps and such. But in Ontario were nothing but trash.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to lonon

said by lonon :

I signed up with Netflix and realized that DSL is not going to be competitive at the speeds I want, especially with dry loop.

Distributel offers cable. Technically, Nucleus would be the fastest third-party broadband at 50Mb, through DSL if your address supported 25Mb with Telus. All the TPIA providers max out at 25Mb.

--

spock

join:2012-07-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I would use teksavvy dsl. I pay 47$ month for 25meg.

The speed and ping are consistent 24/7

Cable speed and pings are inconstant.

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

How about dry loop charges? Any congestion in the evenings?

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to lonon

My cable connection from Lightspeed should be hooked up shortly I put in an order before the holidays. I'll have to splice in new cable lines in my house as the lines are old before I get an idea if its good.

Shaw insisted on giving me magical splitters to filter out the noise and finally the last tech that was suppose to run a new line outside of the house got "light rain phobia" that day and told my daughter their magic splitter will once again solve the issue and he didn't need to run new cable line.