uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

muva2003

join:2005-06-01
Emerson, NJ
reply to Buzzati

Re: Unresolved Fios Packet loss

So where do I go from here? Still have tons of packet loss in the evenings. I'm unable to stream. Can't really play an online game. If I have no options, should I go to Optimum Online or do they have the same issue? I'm really frustrated with this.

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to Buzzati

Finding a new service to meet your gaming and streaming needs is one thing. Keeping FiOS because of what it is and the speeds it actually provides is another. Its a toss-up depending on your requirements. What are you seeing so much loss to? I see the same every night myself, and I am pretty sure everyone else does as well. But its not enough to cause issues. The major problem is the lack of bandwidth between Verizon, or maybe its Alter.net and its peers.

Buzzati

join:2012-12-27

For example, I tried to stream last night (Ustream). I had 80% dropped frames, which means 80% of what I tried to stream did not work. It's more than just a little problem. This is totally non-functional internet.

The download speeds are great. The upload speeds are great. It's just the packet loss that completely kills it. I left pingplotter on overnight. Everything is functional until around 1:00 AM to 7:00 AM. Then everything becomes a mess. It shouldn't be this way.

If Optimum doesn't have this problem, I'd switch in a heartbeat. But I have no idea.

norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Buzzati

I'm having the same issue with packet loss and high latency. Has anyone heard anything in regards to this?

serge87

join:2009-11-29
reply to Buzzati

Every night between 7:30-8pm EST, like clock work. Horrible latency and lowered download speeds to any destination on the internet.

norm

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I'm pushing the issue through tech support and billing now. The nice lady in billing has credited my account for the internet portion and stated that she would continue to do so until the issue is resolved. In the event that they can't resolve the issue, she said that she would work with me to terminate my contract without an early termination fee. God forbid I have to switch to Comcast but at this point, it'd be a welcome change.

norm

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Buzzati

Hi,

I've spoken for several hours now to numerous people. The most recent person I spoke to is a supervisor in Tampa, FL by the name of Ramone. Ramone stated that the issue is a result of congestion within the Verizon network and that they are not going to fix it. I believe our only option now is to cancel service.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by norm:

Hi,

I've spoken for several hours now to numerous people. The most recent person I spoke to is a supervisor in Tampa, FL by the name of Ramone. Ramone stated that the issue is a result of congestion within the Verizon network and that they are not going to fix it. I believe our only option now is to cancel service.

What Verizon tier support was Ramone working for? I'm going to give it a few more months before I go with that option. For all I know it could all be due to the network infrastructure damage from Superstorm Sandy. Though if it ends up never being fixed it would be a damn shame since FIOS was such a great service.

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY

A lot of people will say the issue can't be seen without a reverse tracert back to your connection from the affected host/server.

But honestly, there are a few routers that going out show high ping times to the last verizon router, and same thing when a reverse route it done from that same host.

No way its not a Verizon congestion issue then. So far, I can only say peering between Verizon and Alter.net is affected at a few places, especially when routing to time warner cable and sometimes to cablevision.

As a Verizon technician put it to me a while back; don't expect it to be fixed, expect them to blame your connection and wait weeks for equipment replacement that is a waste of time. Awesome people, but way to money hungry.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
reply to Buzzati

I think in the past week there's something funky going on in the NYC region. My friend and I love to play games (LoL, BF3 mostly) and we've been getting huge spikes in *every* game almost at the same time during the past week or so. He's also on Timewarner Cable so I don't think it's Verizon specific.

norm

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to serge87

Not sure the tier but I don't really want to leave FiOS so I'm going the executive customer support route at the moment. I don't want to give money to Comcast.

norm

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to RolteC

I rent a VPS in the NY area that goes through the problem hops and have done trace routes from both ends in addition to MTR. The Philly/NYC hop blows. Alter.NET is Verizon.

norm

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Dream Killer

I'm renting a VPS in the NY area. Friends on TWC and Comcast have no issues hitting it but I do. I got a rep to admit it was congestion on the FiOS network and to basically deal with it.