signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

8 recommendations

Colin update: You can smile!

You've all been with me in a very caring way while my rough and tumble nephew, Colin, has battled cancer (ependymoma). He and his family have been spokespersons around the country for children's cancer treatment, and he has overcome so much for a young child it is almost impossible to imagine he is still alive.

He is very tough, a born football tackle if you will. He is so happy, positive, brave, charming, he's the greatest kid, you'd all fawn over him if you met him.

Well, I saw him for the fist time in a few months and wow, while he still suffers somewhat permanent paralysis, at my grand nephew's birthday party (a big, boisterous affair with dozens of 8 year olds) Colin was having the time of his life running around. Yes, running, all around. His gait is unsteady and it's still obvious that he has a handicap, but my Goodness, he can literally walk without his walker and even run!!!

He talks (though unfortunately it is very difficult to understand what he is saying, his speech is slurred what with 1/2 of his vocal chord paralyzed), and has so very much to say.

I am so thankful to all who donated to the children's hospitals and the staff at those institutions.

Often we hear from each other troubling, heart breaking news. I certainly have had my share of such news and most of the rest of us here have also been through so much, so I wanted to post something to you all that was uplifting.

I'd like to post a video if I can get one, of him talking, running, and hamming it up for the lens.

Now I want to thank all of you from the depths of my heart for your good energy and prayers.

I often joked that if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all, but actually that isn't true, those I love have been through so much and yet we're still going! Such as my dearests managing to avoid a monster typhoon mere days ago.

God bless you all!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
Yea! An early Christmas present! That's gotta be the best news I've heard so far.

We're all still pulling for Colin, and for you and your family as well, and all I can say is
»/r0/download/1···ons4.gif

--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
reply to signmeuptoo
Amen to that report! What a great Christmas present to us here!
Life is joy if you can look at it the right way and not be the victim, even when things are making left turns out of nowhere.

An 8 year-old might have that outlook quicker than us old fixed in our way types!

If you live as if you are damaged, then you'll never get the most of life. Like those that take bad news by pulling away and isolating one's self from those that can give comfort.

Not related really, but this conjures up this old video in my mind.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcJaE7frI8o

My one son-in-law broke up a couple times with my youngest daughter, pulling away when health issues looked grim. Seize the day, its a one-way ride.
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Join Artist-247

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to signmeuptoo
Thanks for the heart warming news.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to signmeuptoo
That is great news! It is so much harder to accept these kinds of things in one so young. The one "blessing" however is that the young respond and deal with their physical reality much better than once we get older.
--
Deeds, not words

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo
Go, Colin!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo
Click for full size
Here's a photo of the young master, and yes, he likes the ladies, always hams it up around them!

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
said by signmeuptoo:

Here's a photo of the young master, and yes, he likes the ladies, always hams it up around them!

Handsome!