Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

BYOD - Ting

Not directly VoIP related, but I wanted to share that I recently brought a Sprint HTC Evo 4G over to the Ting service using their new Bring your own device (BYOD) process. It was a painless affair and the phone works just as expected, including WiMax 4G!

For anyone on the fence about making the switch... go for it!

gweidenh

Houston, TX
Oh, and for those who were wondering, the taxes and fee's (in Texas at least) are $1.62/device/month.

The buckets of "minutes" appear to have taxes inclusive. You only pay tax/fees on the base $6.

JasonOD

@comcast.net
reply to gweidenh
The only thing that bothers me about Ting is sprint. Sprint has been an absolute whore with their network, selling access to virtually any cheap mvno, which has to be taking a toll on their network. Pending softbank purchase aside, it reveals how weak they are compared to the big two VZ & ATT- who sure as heck aren't going to be sharing their LTE network anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ting, but they've got a weight around their neck as long as they're dependent upon sprint.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
At first I thought you were in error---but you are correct, it seems that Sprint is the only carrier that allows cheap MVNO's to access its LTE network!

ChuckIL9

join:2005-11-07
Peoria, IL
reply to gweidenh
I moved my EVO 4G over to Ting also. I use GrooVeIP to keep my mobile minutes down (WiFi at work and home). Pretty simple process for BYOD on my former Sprint phone. Once Republic Wireless starts charging me again (seems I have until next June to enjoy free phone service on my original beta phone), I may just drop them entirely and go with Ting. Tough decision though.

gweidenh

Houston, TX
reply to gweidenh
Just wanted to follow up after a full month of usage.

Total bill for 2 phones and associated usage came out to $45 including all taxes. We ended up in the Medium bucket for all three services (Voice, Text, Data).

Comparing this to the $137/month I used to pay Sprint, we saved $92 in our first month with Ting!

At this rate, we will save well over $1000 in the first year alone.

To say I am happy would be an understatement!

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
^^^

Very cool info; thanks.

I've looked at Ting, but I stick with PagePlus, because there is too big a jump using Ting from S and M. My usage is barely over S, but those several extra minutes would always keep me in M-land. So I stay with the PagePlus "the 12" plan giving me 250/250/10 with incremental per-min/txt/MB overage ability

Relating this back to Broadband so as to stay slightly OT:

It might be interesting to buy a beater Sprint phone (better yet if 4G) and use it exclusively as a hotspot. Good for casual data usage; includes Sprint 3G (coverage waaay beyond all the cheap MVNOs using only Clear/Sprint WiMax), and after the cost of the phone you could get away with $9+extras/mo for 100MB; $19+extras/mo for 500MB. Next step up, with lots more data but costing lots more: Virgin Mobile's Broadband to go

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

I'm glad you like Ting. I like the business model and may open a line myself soon.

Question: have you noticed any issues on Ting compared to Sprint? Specifically, are you more prone to dropped calls? I'm unclear on how resellers are prioritized on the network when there is congestion.

gbh2o

join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·VOIPO
·callwithus
reply to gweidenh
My experiment with Ting has been positive so far...

- Two BYOSD cell phones dipping in one small consolidated allowance pool, primarily for voice coverage in the regional 'boonies' that the AT&T system fails to cover around here. I got the plan primarily for the "other-half's" emergency use. The _included_ roaming coverage is extensive and my wife has already had to use it (successfully).

- Actual (English-speaking)customer support, both knowledgeable and flexible. I think that may be the best description of the whole service... flexible!

- There are better choices (other providers) for those that use the higher tiers of voice/data/text services.

NOTE: I have have frequently used the NetTalk android app to place VoIP calls with good results, saving 'minutes'. In the real world, 95% of my data use is over WiFi anyway. Neat tie-in to be OT!

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

Just wanted to follow up after a full month of usage.

Total bill for 2 phones and associated usage came out to $45 including all taxes. We ended up in the Medium bucket for all three services (Voice, Text, Data).

Comparing this to the $137/month I used to pay Sprint, we saved $92 in our first month with Ting!

At this rate, we will save well over $1000 in the first year alone.

Republic Wireless: Buy the phone and it's $19 a month, unlimited.
Two phones, $38/month.

It uses WiFi when can, otherwise Sprint Network... No limits on Cell usage.

3G only... so not fast ... but very cheap!

YMMV
--
VoIP Geek/Customer of voip.ms, vitelity, flowroute, callcentric, localphone, didforsale, voicemeup among others/Asterisk-PIAF user/FreeSwitch app developer/Consulting

gweidenh

Houston, TX
reply to morbo
said by morbo:

Question: have you noticed any issues on Ting compared to Sprint? Specifically, are you more prone to dropped calls? I'm unclear on how resellers are prioritized on the network when there is congestion.

The service quality is the same. I have noticed absolutely no difference in quality or network speeds.

While some MVNO's do indeed get inferior service, the Ting contract as discussed on their blog states that they get the same service level as Sprint customers themselves.

Customer service on the other hand is dramatically better. A person picks up the phone on the first ring!

The only disadvantage is no data roaming. Voice and Text will roam on the Verizon network, however Data must be on the Sprint network.

They have talked about this in great detail on their site and are quite transparent that data roaming costs are very high compared to in-network data costs.

Another advantage is that you can tether to your laptop for no additional fee. I believe Sprint charges $29/month to be a hotspot.

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
reply to w1ve
said by w1ve:

YMMV

Have a friend using Republic; he tells me how it's going on a regular basis.

"Buy the phone" can be an issue. Republic, not being "BYOD", requires the purchase of, at the moment, one specific MOTO handset for "$249 plus a $10 start-up fee and any applicable tax." That rather ups the ante...

Trying to stay OT: can you use the Republic phone as a broadband tether source, I wonder?

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH
said by brg:

said by w1ve:

YMMV

Have a friend using Republic; he tells me how it's going on a regular basis.

"Buy the phone" can be an issue. Republic, not being "BYOD", requires the purchase of, at the moment, one specific MOTO handset for "$249 plus a $10 start-up fee and any applicable tax." That rather ups the ante...

Trying to stay OT: can you use the Republic phone as a broadband tether source, I wonder?

Not sanctioned officially, but sure, it works.
--
VoIP Geek/Customer of voip.ms, vitelity, flowroute, callcentric, localphone, didforsale, voicemeup among others/Asterisk-PIAF user/FreeSwitch app developer/Consulting

hok

join:2002-02-27
Tethering is not allowed by Republic Wireless.

brawney
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD
reply to gweidenh
Glad to see another happy Ting user. I moved myself last month. When my brother-in-law saw my savings he asked me to help him move. Now he's saving big bucks. I moved my daughter yesterday and plan to move my last 2 remaining family members next week. Ting will save me over $100 a month.

I've been on it about 20 days myself and have not noticed anything different in call quality, dropping calls or signal strength.

Ting is awesome in so many ways. Their online dashboard is very easy to understand and it gives you a lot of info about your usage, pretty much up to the minute. And you can control a lot of features of each device on the website. Awesome stuff. I've called them a few times and I always get a real person and even more amazing is that the real person knows what they're doing.

Looks like a well run company to me: TCX. And now with personal experience I can say they are doing everything right!

gweidenh

Houston, TX
said by brawney:

...and even more amazing is that the real person knows what they're doing.

Exactly, I've never had to be transferred to someone else. The first person I talk to has always been able to take care of whatever issue I called in about. (I've only called twice).

They are empowered to credit peoples accounts right on the spot. I cant say that for most 1st level support.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

The service quality is the same. I have noticed absolutely no difference in quality or network speeds.

While some MVNO's do indeed get inferior service, the Ting contract as discussed on their blog states that they get the same service level as Sprint customers themselves.

Customer service on the other hand is dramatically better. A person picks up the phone on the first ring!

The only disadvantage is no data roaming. Voice and Text will roam on the Verizon network, however Data must be on the Sprint network.

They have talked about this in great detail on their site and are quite transparent that data roaming costs are very high compared to in-network data costs.

Another advantage is that you can tether to your laptop for no additional fee. I believe Sprint charges $29/month to be a hotspot.

Thank you for the follow-up.

I found a $50 Ting coupon (for those who are interested, please google it) and ordered the refurbished LG Marquee for $87 (plus tax).

It's currently on back order (2-3 weeks) and the $50 will apply towards service when the phone is activated, so after taxes and service credit, the cost of the phone is $43.97.

AndroidForums.com : Marquee - All Things Root.

For those who are interested, the $50 Ting coupon ends on Jan 14, 2013.

On Jan 15, 2013, all Ting end user offers are reduced to $25.