share rss forum feed

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[ML] iMessage

MBA
Is it normal for the iM icon at top to be gray and randomly & briefly flash black?
I select Available and icon turns black for about 1 second then goes gray and when I check drop down it shows as offline - will not stay Available

I have iM minimized
Until I deleted the threads in the window, dock icon bounces often

Is this the way it works?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
That icon is for status of instant messaging accounts like AIM and Google. iMessages works more like a texting account. Mine stays grey if I am only using an iMessages account but if I log in with my username as an AIM account (AOL), it turns black like iChat used to and I can manually set my online status. At least that is how it works for me. I only get dock bounces if my connection gets dropped by AOHell or I receive a message. Perhaps you are losing your connect to the IM service you are using.

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Liberty
Thanks for that, makes sense

However I am still getting the bouncing dock icon
I thought I cured that by clearing out the conversations but it is back to bouncing again, for no reason I can find

Also, I set the Events to When I receive a message
But when I go to look at it again, it has changed back to the attached screen shot

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Try restarting your Mac. Sometimes stuff just gets borked up and only a restart gets it working right.

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by skeechan:

Try restarting your Mac. Sometimes stuff just gets borked up and only a restart gets it working right.

nope

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
Can you just uncheck repeat and have that stick or does it go back too?

If that doesn't work, trash the plists.

~/Library/Preferences/

Make sure you have quit Messages then drag these to the trash, then reboot and fire up messages.
com.apple.imagent.plist
com.apple.imservice.iMessage.plist
com.apple.imessage.bag.plist

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Seems to stick on no repeat just fine

So I then changed from it's 'stuck on When I log in' with no tick in Repeat, to Message received with no bounce tick, the tick remains not checked but goes back to the login deal again

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
The only think I can think of left is trashing the plists...I edited my previous post with their locations. That will give a kind of reset to defaults for Messages.

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
reply to Liberty
Appreciate the effort but that didn't do it...

I take it you aren't having this happen?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
No icon bouncing for me unless I actually get a message or for some reason I get my AIM connection dropped.

not

@comcast.net
Delete each account you have set up and then add them back in one at a time until you find the offending one. Then figure out if it's an issue with that account or its attachment to the server/service it uses.