1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

[Updated] Macrium Reflect v5.1.5444

Macrium Reflect
December 10, 2012

What's new? 5.1.5444:
Improved 'Fix Windows Boot Problems' functionality in Windows PE
Now supports Windows XP, Vista, 7 & 8 multi boot. All configurations, including Windows installation on logical drives and system drive letters other than 'C'
Bug fixes:
Program crash when imaging Windows partitions on EFI systems
Some EFI system configurations caused a program crash when imaging 'All Windows' partitions. This has been resolved.

NOTE: I could only find the release notes in the downloaded installer.

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

1 recommendation

hayc59

Premium Member

Thank you Dusty!!

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

2 recommendations

CCat to Dustyn

MVM

to Dustyn
Updated...Thanks

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

You are both quite welcome.

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

1 recommendation

dp to Dustyn

MVM

to Dustyn
Thank you Dustyn See Profile
art22gg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC

1 recommendation

art22gg to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Thanks man...

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

chachazz to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Thanks, Dustyn See Profile

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

1 recommendation

Pentangle to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Thank you Dustyn.

Fedorov
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11

1 recommendation

Fedorov to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Thanks Dustyn - just purchased the Household 4-pack of the Pro edition after problems with Acronis 2013 on my Windows 8 machine, got a refund from Acronis and loving Macrium so far.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

You're all welcome.
Dustyn

1 edit

Dustyn to Fedorov

Premium Member

to Fedorov
I find Macrium has a slight technical learning curve in the beginning. However, compared to intuitive Acronis, it's so well worth the investment. I would have to say in my opinion that the last 4 years of Acronis products I have used have all been pretty terrible.

Fedorov
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11

1 recommendation

Fedorov

Premium Member

Agree, I preferred their older versions with less bloat and simpler settings - it started getting too complicated for the average user.
Macrium takes an image of my machine and I really like all the realtime info it gives you as it's performing the tasks.

me87
join:2002-12-08
Iapetus

me87 to Dustyn

to Dustyn
What would be the best reason for me to upgrade from the free version? I like this product and use the free version often.
art22gg
Premium Member
Courtenay, BC

art22gg

Premium Member

Check this comparison site for the differences in Macrium versions...it will give you a quick idea of what benefits an upgrade will give you in case you are interested...

»kb.macrium.com/Knowledge ··· 118.aspx

Snoopy2
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Mobile, AL

Snoopy2

Premium Member

Art, after looking @ the comparison list, was surprised that under the Pro version there was no "Auto Verify". While the free version also supports the verify function, you have to manually do it EVERY TIME. Mine is set to auto verify on every image. Been using for about 2 years, no problems. Oh, btw, I also dumped Acronis after a severe failure on a restore, NEVER have regretted it.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat

MVM

Pro version...Its there. When you start your backup you click on advanced options (I think its the second screen) there you can set it for auto verify.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Does anyone know where the step-by-step instructions are located for version 5? I have the free version 4 and never upgraded because I can't find the instructions anywhere. I do have the Version 4 instructions printed.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

Are you talking about this?
»www.macrium.com/help.aspx
art22gg
Premium Member
Courtenay, BC

art22gg to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
This link might also help you...»kb.macrium.com/Knowledge ··· 114.aspx
Libra
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

Libra to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
That is exactly what I'm talking about. I've been looking over parts of the instructions. Can you tell me what is the difference between "clone this disk" and "image this disk"? The few times I've used Macrium Reflect 4 I've always selected everything. I'm finding the instructions confusing.

If I'm understanding this correctly, if I install Version 5 (free copy) will I be able to restore everything that was imaged all at one time
using the Linux Rescue Disk?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

ART22gg, Thank you also for that link.
art22gg
Premium Member
Courtenay, BC

art22gg

Premium Member

Cloning usually means making a bit by bit copy of one disk and transferring it to another disk.....whereas imaging usually means making a bit for bit copy of your disk or partition,compressing it and making a backup of it till needed..(simple explanation. )

Using Linux rescue disk...answer..yes..

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
What Art said is correct.
And what you are asking about restoring everything with version 5 (free copy) is correct.
An image is a fast snapshot of your entire hard disk drive that is saved as a compressed file. When using the Linux Rescue Disk, you can open those images and restore them to the disk you took that image from.
A cloned hard disk drive, is just that. It's a perfect "mirror copy" of everything from the original drive. That mirrored (cloned) drive is ready to be plugged in to your computer if let's say you were upgrading to a LARGER drive and ran out of space on the original drive. That new cloned drive with the LARGER capacity should just boot up and function just like the original with the added capacity taken into account.

The drawbacks to cloning is that it takes up MUCH more space than an image, and you can not append incremental or differential clones. Disk images are much easier to maintain in that respect.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

Libra

Premium Member

I'm getting a new hard drive and using Macrium Reflect 4 free I just made a full image. I know the instructions are to copy one partition at a time and when done go back and restore another partition. My concern is I hope I don't have to give sizes and make partitions. I have this information:

• 1. system Active 100MB (used 24.13) (free 75.87)
• 2. Windows (C) Primary 420,662.GB (used 36,176GB)(free384,486
• 3. no name D Primary 30.GB (used 87.20MB) (free 29,915GB)
• 4. Lenovo_Part Primary 15,000GB (used7,408GB)(free 7,592GB)

The total size of what was imaged is 43,693GB.

My hard drive is 500GB.

Can I just check each one individually and select Active and Primary where appropriate and copy this to a new drive?

If I need to use numbers can I use the numbers listed above? The first number is Capacity (I forgot to mention that).
~~~~~~~~~
Another possibility is I am going to get a recovery disk from Lenovo which I think has the option to use my external hard drive (not sure about this), but I don't know how my Macrium backup which has to be copied one partition at a time would work with this. The Lenovo disk will have an out of the box image on it.

I'd like to use Macrium if I'm able to do it.

If I try Macrium and it doesn't work, will I be able to use the Lenovo factory install disk with all the junk on it?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
I know that you need to have the paid version to restore a Macrium Reflect image file to another computer but does that mean a different HDD/SSD?

The reason I ask is that say, I make a backup image of my system drive which is my SSD (I do this weekly). Then, my SSD takes a crap (which can happen), then I go and buy a new SSD but it's not the same brand SSD or same size SSD. Can I restore that Macrium Reflect image onto that new SSD?

Old Computer8
Premium Member
join:2002-04-12
France

Old Computer8

Premium Member

If partition (s) are same size or larger, no matter of the SSD 's manufacturer. I want quick format the SSD before use.
You don't need HIR as your restore image is on the same hardware (Motherboard, Graphic card).
I have done this once without a glitch with the free Macrium reflect version, using WinPE 3.0 RE with my new 256 Go Crucial SSD.
(From 60 Go OCZ Vertex II).

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Why I ask is that for whatever reason that I can't seem to figure out why, some SSDs are sold as 240 GB, some 250 GB, and even 256 GB. Obviously if I have an SSD right now that is of one size, my SSD dies, and I get a new SSD (different brand depending upon what the deal of the week is), the new SSD isn't always going to be the same size.

Old Computer8
Premium Member
France

Old Computer8

Premium Member

Depend of flash Nand brand and how the SSD electronic components use the Wear leveling.
"A pool of reserve space can also be kept. When a block or sector does fail, future reads and writes to it can be redirected to a replacement in that pool."
See here: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We ··· leveling
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra to Old Computer8

Premium Member

to Old Computer8
said by Old Computer8:

If partition (s) are same size or larger, no matter of the SSD 's manufacturer. I want quick format the SSD before use.

I have a free Macrium 4 Linux Rescue Disk. Will it do the quick format you mention? Would I use the numbers I listed above (capacity) for each partition?

Alternatively, would it be possible for me to use the Lenovo Recovery Disk which has an image on it, and then go over that with my Macrium Reflect 4 full image?

If I try to do the image and it doesn't work will I still be able to use the image Lenovo sends me?

If I need the paid version of Macrium, then I'm sol.

Sincerely, Libra

Old Computer8
Premium Member
France

Old Computer8

Premium Member

I am not an expert when using Macrium reflect. I use it only since v5 version (early 2012) and only the free version. (I have ShadowProtect on my main PC).

You can check at the the Macrium Knowledge base about cloning multiples partitions to a larger Disk. When cloning my SSD I had only 2 partitions on it. - Boot reserved and C: for Windows 7.
»kb.macrium.com/Knowledge ··· 081.aspx
It should be good with the free version too. (v5) .
I never use the Linux based env, always made the WinPE recovery USB stick witch is more convenient in some situations.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you for that link. In one area it says "Please take note of the fact that all data and partitions will be erased from the target disk".

I have a 2 TB external hard drive that I have backups for three computers. I don't see where it says to designate an area to put the clone in (like a folder). If I attempt to make this clone will it erase everything else on my external hard drive?

It sounds like I might be able to make a clone and put it on the new hard drive (I am confused about the sizes of things so I would hope to use the capacity sizes I listed above and it would work).

I haven't heard from the tech yet, so I'll install Macrium 5 and try making the clone.

On further looking over the information, it seems the Linux Rescue disk won't restore a clone to a new disk. It mentions the WinPE that has drivers. It seemed like a good idea, but I think I'd be wasting my time.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely, Libra